What's new

Duct and cover (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I'm not making this up, I swear:

Last night I dreamed I lived in a Night of the Living Dead-like world. The recently dead were reanimated and I was with a group of friends I had never heard of before. We were in a large, large multistory building with vast expanses of floor space. The ghouls were on the lower levels, and we were up higher and searching, in the darkness, for zombie-free areas with good escape routes.

Upon awaking, I thought about the shopping-mall situation in Dawn of the Dead.

It was a really creepy dream. Hit me out of the blue.

Oh. No tarp or duct tape at my house. Wait! I do have some duct tape. But I have more electrical tape than any other kind, including Scotch transparent. And I have a lot of magnetic recording tape, because I have microcassette recorders in the house. You accumulate those if you work with a lot of publications.

Still, no tarp. Just weird dreams. And the hope for a better tomorrow and longer lifespans for cats.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Time to back off on the Sierra Nevada a little there Jack:)

Peace Out~:D

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Now I have that 50s jingle running through my head..."Duct and cover! Duct and cover!"

:D

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I can’t believe you guys aren’t taking this duct tape & plastic thing seriously. We laughed at the Y2K scare, too, and boy, were we sorry. If it hadn’t been for a handful of COBOL programmers in deep underground bunkers in Montana, we never would have survived that one.

Laugh if you want to, but I’m buying my wife a five-gallon container of zombie repellant for Valentine’s Day. I’m sure she’ll appreciate it as much as she appreciated the kerosene-powered, Y2K-compatible sock-puppet loom I got her for Christmas of 1999.

-------------------------------

Okay, in all seriousness, I sincerely hope nothing happens either at home or abroad. But I’m glad to know that there are people in the world (i.e., this forum) smart enough to know that plugging all the holes in your house is about as feasible as nailing jelly to the wall.

UNLEASH THE ZOMBIES!!!

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
7. What to do during a nuclear or radiological attack

If you are near the detonation point, bend over and kiss your ass goodbye because if the heat blast doesn't get ya, you'll die in a few hours from the radiation. Been nice knowing you, see you on the otherside.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Quite the coincidence.... We just finished our basement and the workers used extra heavy duty plastic to seal off half to contain the sheet rock dust. They sealed it with duct tape and left behind 3 rolls. Plus, we got a 5 gallon water cooler so we don't have to run upstairs for a glass of water. And I've got 2 cases of beer stocked in the corner....

I'm a survivalist and didn't even know it !!!!

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Wow. I feel sorry for you guys south of the border.

Our biggest worry is the upcoming RRSP contribution deadline at the end of the month.

Speaking of zombies, I'd like to see a Miss Hawaiian Tropic Zombie contest.

That would make the news up here in Canuckland.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
7. What to do during a nuclear or radiological attack

If you are near the detonation point, bend over and kiss your ass goodbye because if the heat blast doesn't get ya, you'll die in a few hours from the radiation. Been nice knowing you, see you on the otherside.
My dad is a chemist, and if I recall correctly, he said that if the blast doesn't get you and you stay indoors, you should be fine.

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
I think the media needs something else to do other than working people into a panic.
This is not a case of the media exagerating/fabricating something to fill a slow news day. These are OFFICIAL recommendations from the US government's Department of Homeland Security. I live right outside of Washington (my wife works in downtown DC), and the govt. making idiotic suggestions like this is almost criminal.

There's a palpable distaste for the media in this thread. Just how do the critics keep up with current events?

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Ummm... just in case you didn't know it. There is a procedure known as Shelter_in_Place in use in the chemical industry. In essence, it means go to an inside space (no windows, preferably) and then close up all the air entries in case you cannot evacuate - say the cloud is too close for comfort.

It, too, involves using plastic sheeting and duct tape to seal off the openings.

Frankly, it works, as long as you're not dead-center in the path of things.

I've worked in the industry long enough to have had a few scares. The last was a small ammonia release. There have been others.

And the procedure works. It keeps out the incidental stuff - stuff which cans till kill you, or make you seriously sick. As I said, it won't help you if you're right in the middle, but it does cut down the "collateral damage."

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
Won't closing up all the air entries cause suffocation? Wouldn't biological agents stay in contaminated areas, trapping you in your bubble room? While there may be actual reasons to do this procedure, I don't think it's real-world practical. People might tape all the windows and doors, but they'll leave their AC or heat on.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
I'll bring chips, dip, and my turkey deep fryer.
Now THAT'S a nice survival kit!!!

I'm not too worried about an attack out here. I mean, there's not a lot to attack... OTOH, the country's only operational uranium-enrichment plant is about fifteen miles away.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Shelter_in_Place
This, of course, assumes a couple of things-

1. The air within the shelter-to-be is clean in the first place.
2. The air outside the shelter in place gets clean before the air inside runs out.
3. That the average American could erect a tight shelter-in-place.

From the news, everyone is getting the impression that taping off windows will protect them. Frankly, I think most have a better shot if sitting in their car, windows up, garage door closed (not running, of course) until the winds disperse the "cloud of despair.";)

LewB

Screenwriter
This is just the quid pro quo (sp?) for all the contributions made by the powerful duct tape Political Action Committee :wink:

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Like another poster noted, these are not sensationalist news items. These are official government recommendations.

Now, I'm not taping my house up. But I can see where it might work. I live 75 miles from New York City. If there is some sort of massive chemical attack in NYC, maybe you have time to make decisions...

At the minimum, I'd like to come up with a meeting place in case we all need to just hop in the car and haul ass.

Not a good time we are living in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks