What's new

Downton Abbey Series 3 on PBS (1 Viewer)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Downton Abbey Series 3 started airing on PBS this past Sunday with a 2-hour episode. Since this really needs to be separate from the season 2 blu-ray discussion, I thought I would start a new thread. I imported the UK blu-rays and just finished the Christmas special, which presumably will be the last episode they show on PBS. No spoilers from me.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Steve yes the Christmas Show is the last of season 2. I only wish that I had recorded the extras last night after it aired again last night here in Chicago before the first episode of season 3. The half hour of extras are not on the DVDs from one and two. Three is suppose to have some and I hope they are included when it comes out at the end of this month. Like I said I watch the PBS airing and then watch my copy. I will not end the series until the series ends on PBS. I love the writing on the show and the actors. I mean who can beat Maggie Smith. The house the show is filmed in will have a 1 hour history of it on PBS this Wednesday night Chicago time 8. Now the broadcast could be earlyer in other parts of the country. We have this Chicago Tonight which always delays PBS broadcasts. So it could air 7 CST or 8 EST Happy viewing everyone!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Series 3 has a Christmas episode too. That's what I just watched. It was released on blu in the UK on 12/26.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Oh, and don't read the preview in the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly if you want to remain spoiler free!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I made a terriable mistake Highcliff castle could be airing on your local PBS now 8:00pm cst Secrets of Highclere Castle The castle that serves as Downton Abbey has its own history.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'm liking the start of S3, although there does seem to be a bit more drama than there really needs to be. Anyone know if there's a season 4 planned yet? The Blus are beyond my price at the moment, so the PVR will have to do for now.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Jeff Ulmer
I'm liking the start of S3, although there does seem to be a bit more drama than there really needs to be. Anyone know if there's a season 4 planned yet? The Blus are beyond my price at the moment, so the PVR will have to do for now.
Yes, though it will be very different for reasons you'll discover as the season goes on.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Liked the opening two episodes (it WAS two episodes strung together into a two hour block, right?) very much. Some forced dramatics as is customary (Matthew's mindset, not for the first time we've seen that; hopefully Mary can get through to him). I did find Shirley MacLaine a little bit underwhelming. And maybe I just haven't seen or heard her in quite some time, but it didn't SOUND like the Shirley I remember. I was gratified to see that the ratings smashed all records for PBS. So glad the series isn't just a niche hit.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Whatever you do, do NOT google season 4 if you want to avoid major spoilers. I only wanted to see if the show had been renewed, not to find out what I know now.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
The end of the season seems also to have 2 hour epiosodes. Yes Matt two episodes together. People on the other thread asked about airing. PBS is using the same practice as last year. Last weeks episode will air back to back with the next new episode. Sunday they aired the last episode of season 2 back to back with the start of season 3. I am not sure what they will do when Super Bowl Sunday comes around this year. The show has smashed PBS ratings. I feel so bad that I got mixed up on the date of Highclere Castle episode. Sorry guys. Here is what they did last year about the Super Bowl

SteveSs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
Considering the apparent millions of TV sets tuned to this show in the USA every week, I'm surprised there isn't more discussion about it. The wife and I have been viewing since the beginning. I've just begun to get jaded by the soap opera-like story lines that are popping up. I noticed that this week, there was a story arc involving every character. No boring lives for the rich and priviledged. One of the things I do to keep my interest up, is when Matthew comes on the screen for the first time each week. I say "Shot off?!? Completely?!?" (Monty Python reference that the wife doesn't get).

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Having reviewed the season three set, I have seen all the episodes and don't want to comment to keep from giving anything away. Also, many have seen them in the UK already or have seen them online so the PBS broadcasts are for some old news.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
This will be a rental or purchase for me. Heard so much about it but never could find it. Figured maybe BBC America, but no luck. And nothing to be found on PBS, because they didn't use the frigging title. Finally discovered a few months ago it was under "Masterpiece Theatre, Classics, whatever". A little more internet research would have helped, so just call me Homer Simpson, but ticked me off. I've adored Maggie Smith ever since "Death on the Nile" and love her work, looking forward to starting this series. At least now I can see the first two seasons over the course of a few days, rather than waiting each week for the next episode.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Stan said:
This will be a rental or purchase for me. Heard so much about it but never could find it. Figured maybe BBC America, but no luck. And nothing to be found on PBS, because they didn't use the frigging title. Finally discovered a few months ago it was under "Masterpiece Theatre, Classics, whatever". A little more internet research would have helped, so just call me Homer Simpson, but ticked me off. I've adored Maggie Smith ever since "Death on the Nile" and love her work, looking forward to starting this series. At least now I can see the first two seasons over the course of a few days, rather than waiting each week for the next episode.
You can see the entire third season in a few days, too, since the DVD/Blu set for season three is now available.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks