What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Does the Vertigo DVD represent the restoration accurately? (1 Viewer)

Oliver_A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver Achten
Hello,

every time I am watching Vertigo on DVD, I am always wondering if the mastering of the DVD accurately represents what had been achieved during the restoration of this masterpiece. There are 2 parts which make me suspicious:

1. The 1996 Universal logo looks horrible. Unsharp & heavily filtered.
2. The "Restoration Credits" at the end of the movie are exactly as lacking in sharpness as most of the rest of the movie.

Please don't get me wrong, I don't want to criticize the meticulous efforts which had been made to present this movie in its original glory. However, I always had the feeling that the DVD was made with much less care, that Vertigo could look much better if mastered correctly.

An interesting sidenote, perhaps Robert could comment on this, would today's digital technology provide any improvements over photochemical restorations like the one applied to Vertigo?

Thank you!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Oliver_A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver Achten
The first issue from 2000, but aren't all subsequent releases essentially the same? I know that the second issue was wrongly color corrected in the title sequence, but is it sharper? The transfer is anamorphic.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Vertigo was a film that desperately needed digital help, but the technology was not yet in place.

With a faded original negative, and heavily shrunken separation masters, it was impossible to get the film where it needed to be.

Today, going 100% digital, we could make it look precisely as it did in 1958.

RAH

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

The first issue on DVD was not anamorphic, so this version must be later. In fact, the first anamorphic issue was in the Masterpiece Collection set which, to my knowledge, has never been offered for sale separately (except by third party vendors).

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Vertigo was repressed in 1999 with crappier cover art so I assume he's referring to that.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I thought that was still nonanamorphic, though. Has VERTIGO ever been released in R1 in anamorphic format?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

One can only hope that there will be an opportunity for that someday :)

Do you think it would be more of a thrill or even relief for you personally to go back today with different tools to get it precisely right, or would it be just too much deja vu? I could understand either!

Oliver_A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver Achten

Thank you for your answer, Mr. Harris!

So it would indeed be possible to make Vertigo look even better using today's technology. I assume one would have to go back to the original elements once again to make that possible, right? As I understand it, Vertigo was shot on a very unstable type of film which fades rather quickly, and 12 years have passed since the last restoration, which brings me to my next question: are the original elements still in danger, or are they being preserved so that they will last long enough for maybe another restoration attempt? Not having seen the 1996 restoration in theaters, I wonder how it would look on HD formats.

I think the work and the technical aspects of film restoration is one of the most fascinating subjects, and I just wanted to express my sincere admiration for the work you guys do to preserve an integral part of our cultural heritage.

Oliver_A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver Achten

I can only say that my DVD is from 2000 (I bought it in 2003), anamorphic, and features the correct colors in the opening titles (greyish face). What I understood until now, there were just 2 releases: anamorphic and non-anamorphic. Or ist there maybe a 3rd release inbetween those 2? Could the answer be that my DVD is Region 2, PAL? Because until now, I just thought that there was only 1 worldwide anamorphic release, and that future releases just had another mastering error consisting of the wrong colors in the main titles?

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff
I'd have to double check, but I believe Vertigo WAS released as a stand alone anamorphic disc in R2 (prior to the Masterpiece Collection box set), but NOT in R1.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Surely Chivas Regal have some spare cash spare for a 4K restoration. :-P

I hope it does get a 4K restoration before they consider releasing it on Blu-ray.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As Universal takes extraordinarily good care of elements in their trust, there would be very little change in OCN, but continued shrinkage in the masters.

RAH

Oliver_A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver Achten

You mean the seperation masters? When I understand correctly, those masters are basically needed in every scene which is dark, because these are the parts where the OCN is faded most due to underexposure, right?

I mean, would it be possible to use digital image processing to align the seperation masters correctly, to correct the shrinkage by scaling the layers? Or are there still other, damaging factors involved?

So, I understand time is still a factor in producing the best possible restoration of Vertigo. Thanks again for your answer!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Yeah, does Rear Window need more work? The Masterpiece box remaster looks fantastic... they let the heavier film grain stay and it's mostly free of dirt and scratches. The stand-alone DVD has filtering and less dirt/scratch removal. If you compare the main titles, there's a thin "rain" of artifacts due to it being an optical. Remaster is virtually spotless for that shot. But I wonder if it would be good to do a 4K digital intermediate that fixes everything that wasn't cost-effective in 1998.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Rear Window could be improved in one unit and another couple of short sections, but overall, the film is fine.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Mr. Harris do you know if they store those kinds of elements off site? I know many films today are stored in old salt mines. Or would Universal be storing these films in some proximity to the recent fire?

From the news helicopter you could see a truck filled with film cans being removed from the burning storage building. It made me rather concerned about what may have been lost in that fire.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks