What's new

Does PS3 simultaneously output composite and HDMI? (1 Viewer)

Eric-S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eric Schnabel
I am interested in connecting regular old composite to one tv, and HDMI to my projector.not Is this possible? i would rather not have to disconnect it everytime i want to change tvs.

thanks,

ej

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Hmm.... good question. I would think so but I'll check later tonight.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
THe PS3 outputs a video signal only via one output connector at a time. Which is kind of lame if you ask me. The other day I connected the PS3 in another room to a LCD TV with HDMI and thus the settings changed to HDMI. When I reconnected the PS3 to the original TV via component since it does not have HDMI, there was no signal. I thought that there must be atleast a signal via the composite output, so I connected the PS3 to the TV via composite, but guess what, still no signal. Not only does the PS3 not output video via HDMI and composite at the same time, it also does not default to composite or the previous settings if there is no HDMI present.

Eric-S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eric Schnabel
So let me see if I have part of this straight.If you were previously using analog connector, then connect a HDMI, it will automatically go HDMI, BUT if you unplug the HDMI cable, it will not go back to analog.

Can I leave tem both connected and switch between them via menu? I would hate the stress on the connector having to constantly plug and unplug.

ej

CRyan

Screenwriter
I think if you turn on the PS3 by holding the power button it will auto synch to whatever connection you have. However, it is very lame that this thing does not output over more at once.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
Yes, you can leave both connections and switch between the two from the PS3 'display settings' menu. Although, I am wondering why would you want to do so. Unless you plan on running the two connections to two different displays.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
The least they could do is have a setting for priorities in the Display Settings menu. Basically, one could set their preference for a default output in the absence of a HDMI connection. Thus if I set my default bakcup preference as 'Component', then if I disconnect the HDMI connector and/or in the absence of a HDMI connection the PS3 should automatically default to the 'Component' connector. In case no preference is set as a backup, then the default backup should be 'Composite', which should always cover as a fail safe option.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

Ran into the same thing with my testing today. Interesting to hear of the two-beep method for switching the video. I hadn't heard that before.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I would like to know if it can do component and HDMI. I'm thinking of buying the Yamaha RX-V661 model for the HDMI inputs - but only for audio. I want to send component to the Sanyo Z4.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter

I'm doing this right now. The PS3 makes you choose only one type of output for video, and does the same for audio, but they don't have to be the same connection. I have set the PS3 to output all video via component cable and all audio via HDMI. This disables the optical audio cable, but since HDMI can carry ordinary DD and DTS, this really is no great loss.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

Thanks Lyle! Now I need to find out if the Yamaha RX-V661 can do the same - play the sound from HDMI and send the video through component to the projector.

marty4089

Auditioning
Real Name
Marty
Is it possible to use my a/v cords as just audio cords into a reciever? I am looking to keep my HDMI audio going to for the TV and use the a/v cords as an audio cord for situations where i am just playing a CD while i have something else on the TV.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Yes. I do this with HDMI and optical digital. I have an HDMI connection to my Samsung LN46B750 and an optical digital cable going to my Denon AVR3805 (older receiver - no HDMI support.) Sometimes when watching late at night, I switch over to HDMI audio on the PS3 and just listen through the TV. The only caveat is that like video, the PS3 only appears to output one audio source at a time so you must select it from a menu.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks