What's new

Does anyone know what classic films are currently being restored? (1 Viewer)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
It must be mentioned that Jeff JOseph has worked for years with private collectors to preserve original trailers. He was also responsible for getting private collectors to let the studios borrow their prints to get the stereo tracks off them, particularly the only remaining stereo prints of Sayonara and Spirit of st. Louis. Bravo, Jeff!!!

John Watson

Screenwriter
Just to bump this back, as well, as King Kong, aren't Metropolis, and some Charley Chaplin classics expected next year, after some restorations?
Will make me happy :)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
King Kong has already been photochemically restored and looks pretty darn good. The only problem from the older transfer was a little bit of scratches and dirt. The image quality is wonderful...even for a 1933 film! The LDI restoration will basically fine-tune the quality into something beautiful.

The sound is also unusually rich...

As for the Chaplins, all of his films from A Dog's Life to The Chaplin Revue are being/have been restored by Cineteca De Bologna. I think the restored version turned up on the TCM broadcast (although in PAL) and it looked fantastic.

Kino will release a 2-disc SE of Metropolis in March using the newly restored version. I'm pretty sure this is a potential 'highly reccomended' title if DVD review sites will review a silent film (and what a silent film it is!)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Patrick,
Have you seen the transfer or are you quoting somebody that has seen it?

Crawdaddy

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Patrick
I was under the impression that Kino would release the Metropolis dvd on Feb 18, 2003.
and that is really great news about the dvd of Around the World in 80 Days
:emoji_thumbsup:

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I was wrong about Metropolis...It is indeed a Feb. release.

As for Kong, I have seen the previous transfer on video. I'm just giving a conclusion given the quality of past LDI restorations. It's sort of like how the Citizen Kane pre-digital clenup elements were from early generation elements, but had plenty of scars. The print for Kong also seemed to be from nitrate elements, which usually means the film used is early generation.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The fact that a film element might be nitrate or safety has nothing to do with generational quality.

This is an assumption often taken, and often incorrect.

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks