What's new

Directv Tivo Deal (1 Viewer)

Steve F M

Screenwriter
At Circuit city they have dropped the Hughes HDDVR2 Direct Tivo's down to $99 then they also have a $50 Mail in Rebate dropping the price of the once $300 Tivo's down to an amazing $49.99.

Circuit City took the orginal Rebate off of there website. You can find the rebate at tivocommunity.com under the forum category Directv Tivo and under the thread Circuit City $49.99 deal!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
what about if you have directv ALready.
i have a mits hd directv sat receiver that i use for mostly ota and somehd sat programming.
can this receiver be used as a stand alone tivo?

and the 50 rebate is good for all dvr and dvd recorders.
but not after 10/4

Steve F M

Screenwriter
It can not be used as a Standalone and yes you can get this price even if you are a current Directv customer. The Hughes DDVR2 is a Directv Tivo only but they rock. I have 2 along with a Mits HD Receiver also.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
steve do you use it on a different tv?
and do you have to pay anything extra to directv, such as a $5 monthhly fee for another reciver?
i think i could consider this for another tv upstairs.

i would like to be able to use this in conjunction with my current setup on the main tv downstairs.

Steve F M

Screenwriter
It would be $5 for the extra receiver and depending what Directv package you have the Tivo service is either $4.99 or its free. Tivo service on Stand Alones is $14.99 a month. Its well worth the price of admissionn. I was a little skeptical but I got one 2 weeks ago via a FFDVR $99 deal through Directv and I like the features so much I had to have 1 downstairs so I bought another 1 at Circuit City last night.

In Feb or March they plan to have a Hi-Def DirectTivo unit on the market and I started saving already for that great new product.

Mark<>Tsc

Grip
THis is a good deal(I have one) but.....Caveat Emptor

NEW YORK -- Shares of TiVo Inc. (NasdaqNM:TIVO - News) plunged Thursday amid rumors that DirectTV would drop the service if DirectTV's parent is successfully acquired by News Corp. Ltd. (NYSE:NWS - News) .

Shares of the Sunnyvale, Calif., personal video-recorder maker fell as much as 19% on heavy volume.

News Corp. recently filed a letter with the Federal Communications Commission (News - Websites) outlining its plan to add DirectTV subscribers should regulators approve its proposed purchase of Hughes Electronics Corp. . Though there was no mention of TiVo in the letter, said Rodman & Renshaw Inc. analyst Daniel Ernst, such communications have a tendency to spark rumors.

However, Pacific Crest Securities analyst Jeff Governman said he believes it is possible News Corp. could jettison TiVo in favor of its current properties should its acquire Hughes.

Referring to News Corp.'s correspondence with the FCC in a research note published earlier, Mr. Governman suggested TiVo's technology isn't up to par with the changing cable landscape and that News Corp. "is planning to use its successes with BSkyB and Sky Italia for its future efforts."

"In the next year, most of the digital cable subscribers will be offering 'free' DVRs, making the cable business more analog-only for TiVo going forward," Mr. Governman said. "TiVo needs to add a cable deal to diversify," its business. "Outstanding growth opportunities" await the personal video-recorder market, " but TiVo will have to adjust its model to this changing landscape."

Mr. Governman doesn't own shares of TiVo, and the firm hasn't performed investment-banking business for the company, according to Mr. Governman's research note.

A TiVo spokesman said the company has had a good relationship with DirectTV for four years during which a lot of investment into its services have been made. But in the end "News Corp. will make its decision based on smart business sense," he added.

An official for DirectTV offered no comment.

Around 3 p.m. EDT, shares of TiVo were down $1.63, or 17%, to $8.13. About 6.6 million shares changed hands, compared with average daily volume of 1.8 million.

By Adam Freeman, Dow Jones Newswires; 201-938-5023; [email protected]

Steve F M

Screenwriter
This was last weeks news and Directv came out the next day and pretty much assured everyone that Tivo was a big part of Directv future. There is also some pact with Tivo and Directv through 2005. I will see if I can find the news wire!

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
Maybe this "deal" is the groundwork for changes?
The sales is for a Hughes DirectTV receiver with
the TiVo built in. The TiVo "service" is then just
a $5 add on onto your DirectTV billing.
Sounds like DirectTV could just be trying to convert
all receivers to Hughes boxes by throwing in the DVR
ability?

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
I placed the order for the $99 DirecTvTivo unit with
Circuit City's web site and had it set up for in store
pickup in Indiana.
When I went to pick it up, they at first said it was only
an internet deal.
I showed them that I had the conformation for in store
pickup.
They had the pull in from stock and give it to me.
Then the system "locked up" and they couldn't print out
a receipt I needed for the rebate.
I had to go back the next day to get duplicate receipts
printed up.
I printed the $50 rebate with the 10/04 deadline from
tivocommunity and mailed it in on 10/06/03.
Lets see if I get the rebate?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks