What's new

Live Free or Die Hard (2007) (1 Viewer)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Pretty cool teaser. I love Bruce Willis in stuff like this. Hey, I even liked 16 Blocks. Alot. Looks like a cool fun ride. :)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I wish I could load that teaser but i'm using dial-up and it wouldn't let me download it. :frowning: Usually I can load and play video but I guess the file is too large or something.

IMO, whenever they make a Die Hard film they should go back to using the older cameras and lenses like what was used on the original Die Hard. In addition to McClane's trademark character traits the DH films have a very distinctive look with bold uses of lens flares and soft focus. Heck those older cameras and lenses are almost as big a character in the DH films as the actors!

Please tell me this film isn't shot in Super 35! :frowning: Die Hard films NEED to be in Panavision! :emoji_thumbsup: And just for future referrance, keep the severe EE off of the DVD release! Die Hard With A Vengeance has so much ringing in it that I almost answered the phone!

I liked 16 Blocks, too, except for Mos Def's voice which I imitate very well to my freinds, much to their amusment. :laugh:

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Prepare to be dissapointed. Judging from IMDB, it appears that the director and the D.P. are Super 35 guys.

I do agree with you, Panavision has been a staple of the Die Hard series and the use of Super 35 would just not feel right somehow.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II

About Die Hard: With a Vengeance...

I think, but I'm not entirely sure, the Region 2 Japanese Ultimate Edition 2-Discer doesn't have any EE applied to it.

And Die Hard 4: Live Free or Die Hard looks pretty good!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Great. :frowning:

Anyone know who's doing the music? Michael Kamen perhaps? (fingers crossed)

I was finally able to view the teaser at Youtube and it does look exciting, it almost looks as if McClane has gone the mercenary route, he looked too at home during those action scenes.

But then again at this point he probably expects things like this to happen to him on average every couple of years, trouble just simply has a way of finding him and he's resigned himself to that fate, hell i'm surprised the man hasn't become an agoraphobic lol.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
The first and second films both used the "John is trapped inside a restricted area and needs to kill bad people in that restricted area." I liked that angle and it really developed a claustrophobic environment that heightened the tension of the films.

The third one departed from this but was still entertaining in its own way. Looks like the fourth will also be structured more like the third in this way.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Whoops, welp, excuse me while I wipe the egg off my face. I actually completely forgot that he passed away, my bad.

The thing I love about the Die Hard series is that each one treats itself as if it's, to borrow from Roger Ebert, a decathlon of violence, a minefield of mayhem and death that McClane must fight his way through until he comes out the other side.

It took a couple of times seeing DHWAV for it to grow on me but now I love it just as much as 1 & 2, trouble targeted him in that one and it suffered the consequences, which to me is the funniest part about that film because if Simon had just left him the hell alone he would have gotten away with it, by dragging McClane into it he sealed his fate right there lol.

I agree that it's the tension and sheer scale that makes these films work, the first film was compact but tense (not to mention the best damn action film ever made) all set in the Nakatomi building, the second was all over the place, underground, on wings of planes, in terminals, on runways and on icy fields and the third treated New York as an amusment park.

Two things I am expecting from this film is hard-hitting action and scale, these films can't just do the usual car chases and explosions, a Die Hard film needs to be doing it bigger and better than the other guys in order to live up to that name.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I liked both Underworlds, so I'm not too worried about director Len Wiseman. He does some unique stuff with the camera, and as long as the story is good I don't see any problems.

Of course I will be rooting for Justin Long to get killed now, can't stand him in those Mac commercials.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

Man, he was a helluva fit for McTiernan. None of McTiernan's subsequent films have looked nearly as good as Die Hard and Hunt for Red October.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Yup ;), with the exception that all my work on a PC involves making pretty graphics, video, and television programs. But to be fair, in the next room is my co-associate who is all Mac doing the same thing. We are always ribbing each other's systems. :) We could be the real PC/Mac commercial, but I wouldn't know who that commercial would be for....probably Linux. lol

Still want to see the movie though. :)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I like Justin Long, he's one of the few young stars who always comes across likable in his films. I think I like him so much because most of the time I identify with his characters, not so much here because I know squat about computers but in films like Dodgeball he was so me in high school, except I didn't have a hot cheerleader who liked me, it's things like that that let's you know your watching fiction. ;)

DanR

Supporting Actor
GREAT to see John McClane in action. Missed him at the theaters for the last 10+ years. I'll be there opening night for sure. I hope the rumors of PG-13 are untrue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks