What's new

Details: Kill Bill: Volume One (1 Viewer)

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Don't know if I'm in the minority here, but I actually like the B&W switch. That whole fight is all about the stylization, and the switch, for me, put more emphasis on the stylization and less on the outright carnage. That might sound sort of vague, but that's how it struck me the two times I saw the movie.

Shane Roach

Stunt Coordinator
I'd at least like the option to watch it in color, if for no other reason than that the blood sprays in a few shots turned bright when the B&W conversion was done. I found it a little distracting.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Options are always good. Both versions via seamless branching on the eventual SE release? We can hope for it, but that might be the stuff of fanboy dreams. :D

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Any differences between the region 1 versus region 2 as far as scenes go?Also does anyone know if the transfers will be identical ? thanks !

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
Tony: R2 has the House of Blues Leaves scene in full colour as well as a minute or two added footage such as when The Bride interrigates Sofie and accoring to some sources the anime sequence is a bit longer too. The transfers obivously won't be the same since it is a different cut and R2 is PAL whereas R1 is NTSC.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Japan, which is part of region 2, uses NTSC.

I have the Japanese KB disc on pre-order, and I'm looking forward to finally breaking in my code-free player. Personally, I found the switch to black and white during the Blue Leaves scene distracting when I saw the film in the theater. Call me sick, but I like my blood and guts in full color. The de-saturated ending of Taxi Driver sticks in my craw to this day.

--Jefferson Morris

Simon Young

Stunt Coordinator
But remember that, as with most R2 Japanese DVDs, there probably won't be any "engrish" subtitles. Just something to consider before plonking down all of that cash!

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Uh, but there are english subtitles *points at R2 specs*.

But really, if you like the movie enough to be paying twice as much to import it, you probably already know what they're saying ;)

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
If you choose English subtitles they will play for the entire feature not just in the Japanese spoken parts. Well, unless you feel like turning them off and on at the correct times.

JulianK

Supporting Actor
I've heard a disturbing rumour that the Region 1 DVD might feature player-generated subtitles.

Could whoever reviews the DVD, or anyone who gets a copy early, mention whether or not the film has the original coloured captions, please!

Iain Quinn

Agent
I was just going to ask about this myself Julian... let's hope we don't get horrible digital subtitles like the R2 Terminator fiasco :frowning:

Blu

Screenwriter
I thought the B&W switch was very stylish, especially when it went back to color with her blink!

Simon Young

Stunt Coordinator
I can confirm that the subtitles on the R1 Kill Bill will be player generated. Between this and the Japanese R2 (where English subs means subs onscreen throughout), there seems to be no ideal release.

Chris Parham

Stunt Coordinator
I saw what the owner referred to as a "screener" copy at a Toronto video game store yesterday. It was packaged and behind the counter. Unfortunately, he would not share any info about it. It had a yellow cover with Uma kind of leaning on a samurai sword on the front next to the title in black letters. It was shrinkwrapped and the bottom third had a red transparent wrapping with something written on it that I didn't get a chance to read before the owner moved it from view.
I imagine that whatever HT rig this guy has is getting a workout this weekend! I am jealous and can't wait.

PeterKelly

Agent
Real Name
Peter Kelly
I have the official Region 1 release already, and the subtitles are player generated, the Bootleg trailer is a trailer for vol1 and 2 together in some way, there are clips from both in it.

Also, along with the 22 minute documentary and the trailer collection, there are extra preformances from the 5, 6, 7, 8's. The menu system is quite nice, and if anyone is ionterested in seeing all there is about the R1 release, I posted many, many pictures over at dvdfile.com. Have a look. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks