What's new

Decisions , decisions- what would you do? (1 Viewer)

ericSchirm

Agent
I have been going back and forth trying to decide on a receiver for my new speakers. Please suggest a 7.1 receiver for the following setup-

Klipsch SF3 mains
Klipsch SS3 surrounds
Klipsch SC3 center
Klipsch SS1 sides
Klipsch KSW12 sub

It will be for a dedicated HT room (The room is 12.5x18.5x9). I should be getting my speakers in a couple of weeks and I currently don't have a receiver for them. Now the bad part. I would like to stay close to $400-$500. I have a tight budget for the entire setup and if I blow my wad on audio then my video setup will be downgraded. I am really not concerned with a status symbol receiver but one that will tame the "bright" leaning sound of Klipsch.

I *think* I have narrowed (call that narrowed?) it down to the following choices-

Denon 2805 (over budget but DLPIIx)
Denon 2803 (refurb, no DLPIIx)
Yamaha 5760 (in budget but no eq- considered bright?)
Yamaha 5790 ($, go with Denon instead?)
HK 630 (refurb, quality issues?, over budget)
HK 430 (refurb, quality issues?)

Thanks for your input and I appreciate all OPINIONS!!!

--I might sell the Klipsch KSW12 sub for a HSU 10". Would that be wise- 12" for a 10"? I couldn't pass up the KSW12 for $200.

BTW- If anyone wants to upgrade I would consider used- email me!

Nick L

Second Unit
I've had my HK AVR320 for about 3 years now I think. I still love it very much and have never had a single problem with it. I would highly recommend the HK 430 or 630. Either would be a very good choice. I would second the Denon to the HK, but I think you will want a receiver that does DPLII. It is very nice for non-5.1 sources(TV). I personally don't like putting Yamaha and Klipsch together, it can be VERY bright.

Nick

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You can moderate the Klipsch brightness with room treatments since it is going to be a dedicated room. A cheap receiver may also contribute to harshness if you start bumping up against it's current limits, so I would recommend getting the most power you can afford, even for these very efficient speakers. The 2805 or the 630 would be my choices out of your list, though they are beyond budget. You could probably get away with the 430 as well.

You could also consider a refurb Marantz SR5400 for $439 from Accessories For Less

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
As noted by JG, conspiciously missing from you list are Marantz receivers which, imho, would make a good match to Klipsh speakers but really, you should audition the receivers and make your own choice.

From your list though, I'd probably go with the HK based on previous auditioning experience. For the record, I own a Yamaha RX-V1400.

JB

ericSchirm

Agent
Thanks for the replies. Now I have a new addition to consider- MARANTZ SR7400 RECEIVER 105W X 7CH. When throwing that one into the mix would it be the clear cut winner?

Now MARANTZ SR7400 vs Denon 2805? Man this is hard. What features would I be giving up on the Marantz?

(The Marantz SR5400 isn't 7.1 so it is out of the race)

Nick L

Second Unit
I would vote for the Marantz over the Denon. I like the way the Marantz sounds much better than Denon. Plus it has a killer remote.

Nick

braden

Agent
I was thinking of the Yamaha 5760

I am new to this, what is the difference in Yamaha and HK 630?? Is it worth the money...

Getting ready to buy system and want to do it right...

No stores within 2 hours of me to test these out...

Speakers will be Ascends/Axioms/???

Budget of 1800 with receiver any suggestions??

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Eric,

I've heard the "RF" series from Klipsch being powered by a NAD receiver. Very good match in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks