What's new
World Wide Stereo

Crap... Need a new plan and need help so I can pull the trigger today! (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Jeff Stevenson
Hi All, I got the go ahead from the wife to buy my system this morning and of course prices went up so I am having to rethink my plan. This is what I was planning on getting: Onkyo TX-NR609 Pioneer SP-BS21-LR X2 Pioneer SP-C21 Dayton Audio SUB-1000 10" Now I can still get the above but I would have to get a referbished receiver instead of a new one. Or do I get a new receiver and rethink the speakers? I found the Onkyo SKS-HT540 7.1-channel Home Theater Speaker System referbished for $149.99 I have a tight budget of $700 and I am afraid if I wait any longer I'll miss out again.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't see a problem with the refurb receiver. If you are looking at AC4L for example, the refurbs still come with a full 1yr warranty. On a slim budget, I often recommend just starting with a 2.1 or 3.1 setup so you can allocate more funds to the most important speakers (fronts). Then add the surrounds once funds allow. You tend to be able to build a better system that way IMO.

Real Name
Jeff Stevenson
Based on what you said I'll move forward on getting the referb receiver but you do bring up a good point. Should I then look at different fronts/center/sub and just wait on the rears?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would, yes, if it were me. On a $700 budget, shifting $100 or more of that to the mains instead of having surrounds is likely to make a pretty decent difference in quality. I would take the improvement in sound quality over more speakers in a case like this, and as mentioned, you can always add more speakers down the road and/or find some super cheap speakers to use for surrounds temporarily. The Primus P162s at $85/ea seems like a steal to me at crutchfield as mentioned in another thread. Here's a slightly better deal on the 152: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108P152BG/Infinity-Primus-P152.html?search=p152 And the PC250 or 350 center to match which are also both on sale.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
And maybe you can drop down to the Onkyo 360 refurbished ($279, similar to the 609) or even the 509 ($189) to save a little money. Biggest difference between the 509 and 609 is the 609 does video processing/up-conversion (so does your display) and is 7.1 instead of 5.1 like the 509. Looks like there's some new Onkyo receivers list as "coming soon" on their website.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks