What's new

Couple 2 - 3' Optic cables? (1 Viewer)

mrlewp

Auditioning
Real Name
Wayne Poore
[SIZE= 8px]Crazy idea? It's actually not imperative, since cables aren't that pricey anymore, at least at discount stores. But............... ; [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 8px]Has it been tried, and is it a hazardous thing to attempt? That is...... finding a means of coupling two optical cables together, not by the fibers, but having the tips of both secured head-on to each other. I've thought of a fairly easy way to do it, but ;[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 8px]1) Would there be quality loss, enough to matter?[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 8px]2) Could it be a hazard to a surround system amplifier, were the ends not lined up well[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 8px] enough , or if they were bumped out of line. ( to this question, I never posted it but [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 8px] sometimes when I change channels using the optical out from cable box, a very loud[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 8px] crackle/ pop sound will come my system, but only the right speaker? Curiously , that[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 8px] speaker had to be replaced while the other of same age and specs, is still working fine)[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 8px] [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 8px]Best leave this idea off the front burner? ( just like experimenting when solving issues)[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 8px]thanks.[/SIZE]

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
i think it falls into the category of 'why bother', but to answer your questions - first - there is no chance it would harm your system - it is optical - there is no electricity running through it. Re: sound - chances are that even if you are successful you will have a substantially higher occurrence of jitters and noise. Not to mention a very very weak link that could easily get corrupted with the slightest movement of the cable.

Best to spring for another $5 to get a 6' optical... or $35 for a repeater if that is needed for some reason... http://www.ambery.com/1in2outopdia.html

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
eh. I doubt it'd affect timing. However, it would reduce the SNR, unless you use a mechanical coupler like was indicated a couple posts earlier. Would it matter? It shouldn't -- the distance you're going isn't that great, the losses in the cable and the junction should still be low enough to be invisible.

It's odd that your system makes noise when you switch channels. Throughout the system, the cable box, your amp, et cetera, aught to mute the corrupted bits. If too much "noise" is getting through (LOUD noise,) particularly on one speaker-channel, then yes, it could be causing harm to your speaker(s).

Leo

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I just noitced the part about the crackle pop on your right. My instint tells me that is electrical - im not sure how but i have difficulty imagining an optical signal harming your speakers. Changing channels? Could be static is it a crt tv? Maybe an electric line from your cable box is parallel or contacting the speaker wire somehow?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks