What's new

copying disc to disc (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Can I make it clear right at the start that this is not a question about bootlegging/piracy.

I've copied all our home movies from VHS onto DVD-R. I'd like to make a spare set, and for various reasons, it'd be far easier to do disc to disc copies. However, when I try to do this, I get a copyright protection message appearing and my Panasonic refuses to play ball. This is dumb, because apart from anything else, there isn't a copyright issue.

Please does anyone know a way round this problem? I fully endorse not copying copyright material, but I find it exasperating that whilst pirates seem to be able to copy legal releases with seeming impunity, I'm not allowed to make copies of my own home movies.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Can I make it clear right at the start that this is not a question about bootlegging/piracy.

I've copied all our home movies from VHS onto DVD-R. I'd like to make a spare set, and for various reasons, it'd be far easier to do disc to disc copies. However, when I try to do this, I get a copyright protection message appearing and my Panasonic refuses to play ball. This is dumb, because apart from anything else, there isn't a copyright issue.

Please does anyone know a way round this problem? I fully endorse not copying copyright material, but I find it exasperating that whilst pirates seem to be able to copy legal releases with seeming impunity, I'm not allowed to make copies of my own home movies.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
For some reason most Panasonics will not copy from a DVD-R, even one created in the machine. AFAIK, the E85 is the first model that allows this.

I suspect this started as an anti-bootlegging measure, but I agree with you that, as such, it makes little sense.

M.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
For some reason most Panasonics will not copy from a DVD-R, even one created in the machine. AFAIK, the E85 is the first model that allows this.

I suspect this started as an anti-bootlegging measure, but I agree with you that, as such, it makes little sense.

M.

David Massey

Agent
I have 2 Panasonics and they copy fine from RAMs to an R, but I haven't tried copying from an R to an R. Copying a disc recording from a VCR doesn't come out as good as copying straight from the VCR.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

All of them copy from DVD-RAM (assuming there's a hard drive to which they can copy). But that isn't what Andrew asked about.

M.

David Massey

Agent
I just tried a DVD-R recording made on my E-20, played it in the A120 and it copied fine on the E-10 to a RAM, it's not DVD-R capable so I couldn't try that, but I don't know why you say they won't copy DVD-R discs.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

When you play back a DVD-R on an A120, it's just another video source. Of course you can copy it to DVD-RAM. You can also copy it to DVD-R, -RW, +R, +RW or a hard drive. (Note that this involves a second stage of MPEG encoding and some loss in quality.)

Andrew was asking about copying a DVD-R played in one of the Panasonic models with a hard drive to that player's hard drive. This option wasn't available until the E85.

Obviously, Andrew could play his DVD-R in another player and re-record it. But he'll get a better result starting from the original VHS tape, so that there's still only one stage of MPEG encoding.

M.

Dave Ringkor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Ringkor
Use your PC. I have the Panasonic E80 and have converted many VHS tapes to DVD-R. To create perfect copies of them, I use my computer. I got the LG GSA-4040B Multiformat drive that supports all five writable DVD formats including the DVD-RAM the Panasonic recorder uses. The LG is available from newegg.com for $90. Works great. I use Linux (free) to make the copies, but I assume there is some way to do it with Windows too.

Gregory Scott Bass

Stunt Coordinator
this was one reason I went for the lite-on 5005, I can make backup copies without having to deal with the macro problem...you have to download firmware from the net to get it to work but then everything is sunny

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks