What's new

Coppola working on extended cut The Outsiders (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
revived and the following info comes from The bits interview with regards to One from the Heart
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...interview.html
Jahnke: Can we expect to see any of your other films released on DVD through American Zoetrope/Fantoma?
Coppola: Well, the little DVD Lab we built at Zoetrope has become, in its relatively short 5-year career, kind of the "tiffany" of DVD facilities. They have already done DVDs of most of our films, although these are distributed by the major studios. Most notably the Godfather DVD Collection, The Conversation, The Cotton Club and Apocalypse Now Redux. I am proud of the DVD they made of a somewhat lesser known film, Tucker, the Man and his Dream, and they did my son Roman's film CQ and my daughter Sofia's two films, The Virgin Suicides and Lost in Translation. They are working on a new edition of the film I made right after One from the Heart, S.E. Hinton's The Outsiders
I cannot wait for this
:emoji_thumbsup:

Brad M

Second Unit
"Coming this spring" has a whole new meaning when you read the dates next to the posts in this thread. I think it's really a neat movie and the only reason I ever bothered to watch it is because it was filmed here in Tulsa. I'm glad I did. I wonder what kind of extras they'll have on it. It might be hard to get some of the big names in this movie to come together for a commentary but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
According to a recent interview with Diane Lane in Gotham Magazine - It will feature a new longer director's cut of the film and loads of new and exciting extra features. It will also apparently have a new audio commentary with Patrick Swayze (who played Darry), Oscar nominee Diane Lane (who played Cherry Valance), C Thomas Howell (who played Ponyboy), Ralph Macchio (who played Johnny) and others....

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
Here is the final specs for the "Rumble Fish" DVD.
Expect "The Outsiders" before years end also!
Universal has released early details on a special edition of Rumble Fish which stars Matt Dillon, Mickey Rourke, Diane Lane and Nicolas Cage.
This Francis Ford Coppola directed film, will be available to own from the 13th September this year. Retail will be around $19.98.
The film itself will be presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen, along with English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround, French Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo and Spanish Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo tracks. English, French and Spanish subtitles will also be provided.
Extras will include an audio commentary with the director, deleted scenes, a making of Rumble Fish featurette, a Percussion Based Score feature containing contemporary and archival footage plus interviews with Stuart Copeland of The Police, and a Don't Box Me In music video.
Check out dvdanswers.com for the cool artwork!:emoji_thumbsup:

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'll grab both Outsiders and Rumble Fish as they are available.

Great news!

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator
Rumble Fish! One of my absolute favorite movies. I even saw a special 35 mm screening at the Miami Film Festival a few years ago, and it felt so unreal to see its amazing images on the big screen! I'm glad they're adding special features with Stewart Copeland's music-- it's his best music score ever.

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
Rumble Fish: Special Edition (9/13)

deleted scenes
audio commentary with director Francis Ford Coppola
A Look Back... The Making of Rumble Fish documentary
The Percussion Based Score featurette (featuring archival footage and new interviews with Stewart Copeland of The Police)
Copeland's Don't Box Me In music video

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the details, Martin-- too exciting! Wow, archival footage of one of my all time favorite recordings being made. I'll definitely be one of the first to pick this up.

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
From Variety:

An extended cut of "The Outsiders" will be re-released on DVD on September 20th AND re-released in cinemas shortly before that!

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator
OK, must chime in again... I'd love to see Rumble Fish on the big screen again. Maybe they'll have a double feature somewhere, if not Rumble Fish getting some screenings as well... maybe? It's really worth seeing and hearing in the theatrical format.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
News in another thread (now closed) that THE OUTSIDERS is going to have a new score.

Can anyone confirm that here?

That doesn't make the least bit of sense as that was one of the more memorable scores of the 80's.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
That's odd, unless it's a situation where Coppola cut the movie down prior to it being scored. Therefore, there may be numerous sequences without music that may necessitate it.

Joe:C

Second Unit
This does sound a little strange. Did Coppola always want a rock-n-roll soundtrack, or is this a new decision?
Dvd Answers has more info posted on The Outsiders: The Complete Novel

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks