What's new

Comprehensive NON-OAR DVD list (1 Viewer)

Mike Gariepy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
A few more:

Air Bud

Air Bud: Golden Receiver

Air Bud: World Pup

Black Christmas

Final Analysis

Napoleon

Will K

Screenwriter
The Great Santini is indeed a TV movie and was made for 1.33:1. My father saw the premire on TV. In fact, its popularity on TV led to a theatrical release.
I'll take your word for it, but frankly, I can't find any evidence to support its TV origins. For one, the film received several Oscar nominations. I find it hard to believe a TV movie would be eligible. Just my 2 cents. :)

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Vittorio Storaro is a wacky guy:

Apocalypse Now (1.97:1 not 2.35)

Last Tango in Paris (1.9:1 not 1.66)

I have the following 1.33:1 discs:

Basket Case

The Three Musketeers (Richard Lester)

Amazon Women on the Moon

Two Undercover Angels

Henry, Portrait of a Serial Killer

Born to Win

36 Fillette

Rabid

The following are 1.66:1 and I don't know if they were ever shown this way or not:

Take the Money and Run

I Married a Strange Person (Bill Plympton)

Robocop (Criterion)

I believe the following to be 1.78:1. Most would have been projected at 1.85:1. Is this being too nitpicky? Notice lots of WB.

EDIT: these belong in another list

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
I can't believe no one mentioned Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. The dvd is formatted at 1.85:1 but the oar is 2.35:1. Also, the new release of To Gillian on Her 37th Birthday is being "formatted to fit your tv". Wait a second, I have a 16 X 9 tv. I guess I'll keep my widescreen laserdisc. LONG LIVE LASERDISC!!

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Patrick & Will,

The Great Santini was indeed a theatrical movie. What happened was that after some previews and the like, the studio lost faith in the film (probably due to management changes) and sold it to HBO, which premiered it under the title THE ACE. Shortly after the HBO showings, several critics (Rex Reed and, possibly, Roger Ebert, among others) (and the cast) wondered why this terrific movie they'd seen in screenings was on cable tv instead of theaters. Shortly after that, the movie was given a limited, though successful, theatrical release. I was working in a theater at the time and the film was most certainly composed for 1.85 ratio.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
From Artisan, add the 1986 Blake Edwards' film That's Life with Jack Lemmon and Julie Andrews. It's horribly pan and scanned from a 2.35:1 Panavision print.
From VCI Entertainment, Tennessee's Partner the 1955 western with Ronald Reagan and Rhonda Fleming has a matted trailer announcing "Filmed in Superscope" but the actual feature presentation is formatted to fit the TV. Also from VCI, the Steve Reeves flick, White Warrior which was filmed in the 2.35:1 wide screen scope process is compromised by being only matted at about 1.75:1.

Doug D

Stunt Coordinator
LAST NIGHT is presented in full frame. I think it was 1.85:1, but it definitely wasn't full frame in the theater. Also, THE SCENT OF GREEN PAPAYA was apparently just released by Columbia in full frame instead of OAR.

KristianH

Agent
I want to add:
Link Removed
To that list. One of my old favorites. But as far as I know only available in Pan & Scam.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The Great Santini was indeed a theatrical movie. What happened was that after some previews and the like, the studio lost faith in the film (probably due to management changes) and sold it to HBO, which premiered it under the title THE ACE. Shortly after the HBO showings, several critics (Rex Reed and, possibly, Roger Ebert, among others) (and the cast) wondered why this terrific movie they'd seen in screenings was on cable tv instead of theaters. Shortly after that, the movie was given a limited, though successful, theatrical release. I was working in a theater at the time and the film was most certainly composed for 1.85 ratio.
:b Bring on the matted version in that case!

The VHS of Abel Gance's Napoleon has the tryptich finale compressed to 3:1 instead of the full 4:1. I know the images would be kind of tiny on a TV screen, but Cinema Europe presented a few of these scenes in full width and they're still pretty intelligible (and this is from a rabbit ears tape of the series!)

Fox's The Robe is 2.35:1 on DVD when it should be 2.66:1. I find it surprising that Fox wouldn't give the first studio film released to use anamorphic lenses a full-blown SE. (Note: A few experimental shorts were made before and How To Marry A Millionaire actually was the first made. Don't forget the short period of 65mm in 1930...)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Peter for the info, I knew I wasn't going crazy.

PatrickL

Deceased Member
John Berggren - thanks for doing this.
You might find a few titles in this thread that haven't been mentioned here yet, like "Affliction" for instance.

Jodee

Screenwriter
I just thought of another one, which is the wrong aspect ratio despite the disc being "widescreen":

Playing By Heart

is cropped from 2:20:1 to 1:85:1. The opening credits are correct and then it is cropped.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Please add the following Pan & Scam atrocities to your list:
The Scent of Green Papaya
Last Night
The Man With Two Brains
Jade

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Tucker
Sharky's Machine
Spies Like Us
Hell, just about any release from Warner Bros. that might remotely be considered comedy or family. Idiots. :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks