What's new

Columbo MM part 2 (1 Viewer)

70sTVlover

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick
Anyone know if there are any plans for Columbo mystery movie pack part 2 to be released? There are still a good number of episodes that arn't on DVD yet.. I am hoping they'll be coming soon, any info at all? Thanks

jamoon2006

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Mooney
As someone who prefers the NBC 1970s Columbo episodes to the revival, I'm passing on the Mystery Movies, but I hope that those shows are released for the folks who are collecting them.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Let's be clear on this one for those reading who might not be aware. :)

The 1970s COLUMBO series was part of the NBC Mystery Movie offerings, and the ABC Mystery Movie episodes started in 1989 and were produced up until 2003. Fortunately, Peter Falk was back in the same role, so the newer shows are equally enjoyable....although it could be argued that there aren't too many police detectives in their 70s. :)

One cop who wasn't quite that old (in his 60s) was KOJAK, and there were only 6 of the two hour episodes in 1990 for the ABC Mystery Movie that alternated with Columbo. Telly Savalas got to play his most famous role one last time, but Theo Kojak's humorous remarks that made the original CBS series so entertaining was completely gone from the scripts of the revival. That was also evident from the 1980s TV movie sequels. At least they got Kevin Dobson to return in just one episode as Bobby Crocker -- who had since become a lawyer and by then was wearing a toupe.

I think the only problem with the second COLUMBO series was its reliance on too many old-time actors, since COLUMBO was cashing in on the popular 1990s trend of other TV series that did the same thing: Murder She Wrote, Matlock, Diagnosis Murder, Burke's Law (itself a revival with its original star Gene Barry), etc.

It's nice to see familiar TV vets make rare appearances in their later years, but with those shows it was overkill almost every week. It was actually The Love Boat which started that trend in the 1970s.

70sTVlover

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick
If Kojak was so popular then as was Columbo how come it isn't selling as well? Thats what gets me

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

Was Falk *really* in his 70s for the second run that started in 1989?? Wow! I purchased the recently released 1989 set and he obviously looked older, but I would have thought that he was in his late 50's, perhaps, at most.

In any event, I really enjoyed the 5 episode 1989 set. I thought the first two eps were at least as good as anything they did toward the end of the original run, and the last three - while "average Columbo" - were all entertaining. I'd definitely be up for the 1990 set if released. And considering the way the 1989 box flew off the shelves at my local Best Buy, I'm relatively sure we'll be getting it.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Falk was 70 near the middle of the Columbo revival (1997) and was 76 by the time he finally retired the old trench coat. Yes, not too many real life police detectives are that age.

I have to respectfully disagree with the comment that there were too many veteran character actors on these 80s mystery shows. Their appearance was always one reason I enjoyed watching them. Even for a well known name, getting work in their later years can be a challenge and it was nice to see some meaningful and entertaining roles be given to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks