What's new

colors not lined up on dlp. whats wrong? (1 Viewer)

brandonchenry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandon Henry
My mom has a mitsubishi dlp tv. she moved it to the other side of the room. Now the reds shift down a little, and the blues shift up a little. It does it for all sources, so it must be in the tv. Any ideas on what is wrong?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Probably the earth magnetic field (or else a magnetic source nearby). Try de-gaussing the set. Normally, in modern TV-sets, that will happen when you put in off (totally off power) and on again.

If that doesn't solve the problem: is there a speaker nearby? Or another magnetic device?

Cees

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
You might want to check and see if the mirror cracked or was dislodged in the move. If the set has ever been serviced, they might have left the optical bock hold down screws out and the whole assembly could have moved slightly. Otherwise you could be looking at a prism or mirror inside of the optical block shifting or a color wheel not syncing up. (the last two could be major or catastrophic)

From a signal standpoint, you should try other sources also. (DVD, VCR, new cables) Some signal abberations can cause cause ringing and reflections. (but these are usually left-to-right and not top-to-bottom)

I don't know personally of anything in a DLP that could be affected by magnetism. I've been servicing for 35+ years but have seen very few DLPs in the shop so my experience is limited on this technology, only literature and research.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
wow....quite weird.

degaussing will not help.

Call for service...something has come loose.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
If it's DLP, it's almost certainly single chip. And if it's single chip, it's sequential color, and the only way that effect could happen is if there was a significant amount of color skew. Significant as in something like the blue cable is 50 feet long, the green cable is several miles long, and the red cable is twice that.

I don't know if Mitsubishi ever did LCD RPTVs or not; LCDs do have optical blocks with three separate imagers and could theoretically, albiet with difficulty, generate this effect.

Mitsu is, in my mind, particularly known for CRT RPTVs, and if it inadvertantly got dropped on one side, may have shifted the tubes slightly, which would account for this.

If you're absolutely positive that it's a DLP unit, and there hasn't been the addition of 30,000 feet of extra cable, then something really odd went mad inside the set.

Not, of course, that it's impossible that something really odd went made inside the set; these things do occassionally happen. (outragously mad, that is, not this particular set of symptoms.)

Leo

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
DLP is one of those rear-projector tvs, right? I've seen one of those once and it had a set-up menu where you could align the colors. It created a "+" sign in the center of the screen, and you could manually shift the colors into place.

Rod_Rigo

Grip

Did I miss the answer to this? I have an issue with color no one seems to figure out and do have a center speaker on top of the TV. If this is what ruined my TV, I'm going to kick myself for a long time. I didn't think magnetism affected DLP's!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

I'm no DLP guru, but that sounds like a CRT RPTV, not DLP. A couple (usually) distinguishing features between the two would be the CRT one is floorstanding and quite a bit deeper (and heavier) for the same screen size. Also, you will see squarish pixels on the DLP that you won't on the CRT when you get close enough to the screen.

_Man_

E

Eric Kahn

magnets will not effect a DLP TV, there is nothing magnetic in the projection system (other than the motor for the color wheel)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
All DLP sets are rear projection but not all rear projection sets are DLP. Currently the most common type of rear projection sets in stores are DLP so it would be understandable for someone not familiar with rear projection sets to make this mistake.

The OP's mom's set is almost certainly a crt-based model, with 3 separate crts in the lower part of the set projecting an image onto the mirror in the slanted back of the set and the mirror bouncing it onto the back of the screen surface. The images from all 3 crts must align perfectly when they hit the screen. The set needs to have the convergence adjusted. Mits sets allowed this in the user menu, but it's best to have the owner's manual handy.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
No, of course not.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Sorry, my eyes must have read the "dlp.", but my mind said "CRT".

Disregard my reply, therefore, please.

Cees

brandonchenry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandon Henry

You were right! It was something that could be adjusted in the user menu. Thanks for your help. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks