What's new

Coffee: Intermediate to Advanced (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hey Sam, I don't know what to tell you. You know I don't like sharp/bitter/bright taste in my espresso, I like it more mild with chocolate notes (a la Black Cat). My first HV shot was I think 5 days from roast date. If after that it's still sharp, then maybe we got very different batches. One thing, I did have to adjust my grind setting quite a bit coarser than Black Cat Classic (which needs to be coarser than Black Cat Organic), in order to get the golden shot (good crema, even flow from bottomless portafilter, double shot in 25 seconds).

I did read some of that book in store, it's pretty cool. Even the competing coffeebar in Orange County carries it.

I just got back from the holidays and need to get another bag of beans. I'll let you know if my experience with the second bag of HV is the same as the first.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Four days post-roast date is definitely a difference maker in Hayes Valley. Had one the other day that I had to start on Day 2 post-roast, due to being out of beans, and the results were less than optimal (though still good). On Day 4 it magically transformed into the results that I was used to, and stayed that way for the next 4 days until I ran out.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Not a subscriber so I couldn't read the article. But RIP Blue Bottle. It's replaced Intelligentsia as my go-to locally (there are like three stores nearer to me than Intelly, and I like their Reserve Espresso) but darn it if they sell/sold out to a megacorp.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I’d check their policy on returns Incase you don’t like the coffee it makes. Spinning the coffee grounds dry makes me wonder if extracting every bit of water will also extract the bitterness of the coffee?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
What does it do that your proven drip does not? You don’t drink espresso, right?
It is undoubtedly cooler. It sounded like you could design your coffee with the app. I like that. But it looks like the carafe is kinda small so it makes less coffee at a time. My wife and I brew half a carafe (6 cups) and that does us for the day. I suppose with this coffee maker, it’s more convenient to brew a cup.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
What does it do that your proven drip does not? You don’t drink espresso, right?

I would drink espresso if I had the means to do so.

What this has, that my Technivorm does not, is to automatically make my coffee on schedule so that when I wake up, I don't have to manually grind the beans, add the water, and wait for the brew. I am also intrigued by the method the coffee is brewed, almost like a french press which is supposed to be superior.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I would drink espresso if I had the means to do so.

What this has, that my Technivorm does not, is to automatically make my coffee on schedule so that when I wake up, I don't have to manually grind the beans, add the water, and wait for the brew. I am also intrigued by the method the coffee is brewed, almost like a french press which is supposed to be superior.
The french press separates the grounds from the coffee. It doesn't wring them dry. That's my biggest concern (well, and the price). It might make bitter coffee.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm not a fan of All-In-Ones, YMMV. This seems like more of a show off toy than something that will consistently make your coffee the way you like it. I know that's appealing to you Ron, but I'd personally rather others be the pioneers on a $600 tech toy than on something I value week in and week out. If the reviews come back truly great, jump in then. I wouldn't be in a rush to be the first on the block with this one tho...

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
i've been a member of this forum for almost 15 years, and didn't know there was a thread completely dedicated to COFFEE, i must be slipping in my old age, the last 8 pages are interesting reads, and it is my favorite drink, actually next to water, it really is my only drink, my caffeine intake daily, is probably unhealthy at best, i actually get dehydrated from the amount i drink. too many years in the military working late night has given me a 3-4 pots a day addiction, yest you read that right, i am trying to cut back, closer to 2-3 a day, and it it drank the way God intended, or like my first marriage, Dark and Bitter, LOL.

Norfolk Coffee and Tea- Uncle Pete's Coffee, named after Attorney /Judge Peter Decker who dedicated 50 years of his life to helping St. Judes Hospital, a dollar of every bag goes to continue his efforts, and the brew is solid winner , smooth and bold.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I guess I'm kind of weird because I have never drank coffee or tea and I come from a family that did both. When I was a kid I had some sips of both and thought both taste terribly so that was that. The same with alcohol including beer, I tried in college and my taste buds never took it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Robert,

I would never encourage you to drink alcohol, but maybe just for kicks go to a good java shop and try a cup of coffee.

I'd be interested to see if you would like it today.

Then again, you just might have no interest in it whatsoever.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
i've been a member of this forum for almost 15 years, and didn't know there was a thread completely dedicated to COFFEE, i must be slipping in my old age, the last 8 pages are interesting reads, and it is my favorite drink, actually next to water, it really is my only drink, my caffeine intake daily, is probably unhealthy at best, i actually get dehydrated from the amount i drink. too many years in the military working late night has given me a 3-4 pots a day addiction, yest you read that right, i am trying to cut back, closer to 2-3 a day, and it it drank the way God intended, or like my first marriage, Dark and Bitter, LOL.

Norfolk Coffee and Tea- Uncle Pete's Coffee, named after Attorney /Judge Peter Decker who dedicated 50 years of his life to helping St. Judes Hospital, a dollar of every bag goes to continue his efforts, and the brew is solid winner , smooth and bold.
We need another button besides Like. We need a :lol: button for posts like this one.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ron, I'm with Sam. Wait and let the reports come in on the product.

If I may ask, what's your primary goal with coffee and the associated machine? Taste? Quality? Convenience? I only ask because in my experience, one pretty much is inversely related to the other. Not that great tasting coffee and espresso has to take a long time, but that pretty much the most convenient machines never end up making really good-to-great cups of coffee/espresso. The better ones make decent-to-above average cups, and for a lot of people, the convenience of being able to "set it and forget it" far outweighs the loss in cup quality. I'm just trying to understand which side of the spectrum you're on so that I can give you proper feedback for what you're looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks