What's new

Coax Digital Audio - Two Outputs Into One Receiver Input (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
See, the coax in on my receiver is marked DVD/LD in. I think I would have to reconnect my cable's s-video to the DVD connection each time for it to work correctly.
Wait a second -- what does the S-video connection have to do with the digital audio?

Why can't you run the cable's S-video connection directly to the TV? Don't you have several different inputs on the TV (e.g., Video1, Video2)?

M.

Lee Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Lee Bailey
Why don't you just use the optical connection from your DVD player, and then assign the Coaxial connection to your TV/SAT function on your receiver? You can try this by setting the function to TV/SAT, and press the input mode button to see if you can force it to COAXIAL FIXED. Then, if that works, change the function to DVD, press the input mode button, and set it to OPTICAL FIXED.

Lee Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Lee Bailey
Sorry, missed that part.:b

John, even with a splitter, the cable box would have to be powered off whenever you wanted to play a DVD, then the DVD would have to be powered off when watching cable.

The other and very important problem is that now you are providing the wrong impedance. You now have 2 termination points, as seen from the device sending the signal, and they are in parallel, dropping the impedance in half. Looks like finding a switch capable of handling HD bandwidth would be in order. Of course, it may cost more than it's worth to you.

John_ryr

Auditioning
Thanks to all who replied to this thread. I think the easiest thing for me to do will be to run coax from the cable box, to a coax-to-optical transfer, to an optical in on my reciever, marked "TV/SAT"

Right now that's on the back burner, as I just found our the speakers I ordered online are out of stock and the order has been cancelled....

Lee Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Lee Bailey
Just so he would be sure to pass his digital signal through without possible degradation. As for an s-video switch, his receiver can handle that with no problems.

I found what he needs at partsexpress:

Dayton Audio Coaxial to Optical Converter

This will let him take his cable box digital coax, convert it to optical. Then just plug it into the optical connection on his receiver.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks