What's new

Cheap alternative to an expensive A/V rack (1 Viewer)

As a college student, there's not too much extra money just laying around...so when I got my big screen, there wasn't much left for an a/v rack. Well, anything is better than having everything strewn about on the floor.

I was going through Home Depot the other day and came to the shelving aisle. I picked up 2 wooden shoe racks (C7 I believe) and came home, painted them black, and threw them together. They're sturdy and now hold all of my a/v equipment (although I don't have much). These things easily hold the DVD player, VCR, and X-Box. Look into these for a cheap alternative, they look nice.

I'll post a pic when I get my digital camera back.

- Jason

I used something similar when I was back in college. Mine started to sag under the weight of my receiver, so you may want to keep an eye on that, although it sounds like the Xbox is your heaviest component.

Cheers

Mark_Ken

Auditioning
You can always use cinder(sp) blocks and 2 x 8's. This is my setup right now. .20 for each block and about 4 bucks for an 8 foot 2x8. Whole setup under $30. I will post a pic when I get home.

Sathyan

Second Unit
another approach

http://members.fortunecity.com/sathyan/audio/index.htm

look at the AV rack in the photo on the right. the parts cost about $20.

I used:
1/2" zinc threaded rods for legs
3/4" MDF for shelves
attached with 3/4" washers and nuts

all available at Home Depot or Lowes

the shelves were cut by the store so tools needed:
electric drill (drill press would be better - straighter)
1/2" drill bit
hacksaw
two wrenches which can handle 3/4" nuts
rubber mallet
spirit level

took about 30 min to do

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks