What's new

Center Channel help w/ Energy Take 5.2 (1 Viewer)

Estevan Lapena

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,
I'm having a problem with my Take 1.2 speaker. When I played the DVD, "Road to Perdition" (DD version not DTS) in certain scenes of dialogue (one being in a diner, where they discuss they're bank robbers) the dialogue becomes muffled, unclear and has audio noise. Most notably when Michael Sullivan speaks. (its not the DVD, because it worked fine on my computer)

The other speakers are perfect and are not displaying this kind of behavior. I have replaced the speaker wire, and has had no effect.

I guess I'm wondering what's wrong and how can I fix it?

The receiver is a Denon AVR-1602,
with the Energy Take 5.2 speaker setup and the S8.2 sub.
DVD Player is a Toshiba SD-2800.

and thanks for your time.

Bill_Wil

Stunt Coordinator
Estevan,
Welcome to the forum!
One thing you should try is replacing your center speaker with one of the other speakers. Then play that same part from Road to Perdition and see how it sounds. If it still sounds bad then you know its not the speaker. If it sounds good then you know that theres a problem with the center speaker. If you just recently purchased the Take 5.2 system then you shouldnt have any problems getting it replaced.

Estevan Lapena

Stunt Coordinator
Well I've come to the conclusion that I am going to return the speaker and get it replaced. I tried the method Bill_Wil suggested and it was yes, the center channel's dysfunction. Thanks for your help Bill.

Estevan Lapena

Stunt Coordinator
Well, living in Canada, I went to my local A&B Sound to return my speaker. They let me test my "broken" speaker on one of their AV setup's a get this, it worked perfectly. So then went home, re-setup and my speaker, to my utter disappointment, had the same distorted sound. The Audio guy at the store suggested to change the frequency (I think) on the receiver.
(I don't know how using a Denon AVR-1602)
Its really beginning to annoy me. So ANY help would be of great thanks.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
So, the dialogue sounded okay when you substituted the center-channel speaker with one of the satellites. And the disc sounds normal on your computer. Yet the center-channel unit checked out fine at the store.

It would seem there is a receiver problem here, but it worked fine with the satellite.

Why not go for a trial replacement with the center-channel unit? (How long have you had the Energy speakers?)

Bill_Wil

Stunt Coordinator
Did you test it at the store with your Road to Perdition DVD? Bring your DVD with you, play the DVD on their setup first to make sure it plays ok then substitute your center speaker and play it again.
They shouldnt be telling you to change the frquencies on your reciever. Thats like telling you that if it sounds distorted at higher volumes then only play it at lower volumes.

Estevan Lapena

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for your help,
I did bring my Road To Perdition disk with me, and the exact scene was perfect. (Although they used a different receiver) I've owned the Take 5.2 set for a little under a year and is well within warranty, I have had no problems whatsoever other than this. I'll have to go to the A&B Sound anyways to get the, "Night Of The Living Dead: Millennium Edition" DVD anyways. (Heard it was going OOP)

PS, The problem occurs on all DVD's, I just tested my collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks