1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cell phone signal help : PLEASE................

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones / Entertainment' started by nyg052003, Nov 5, 2013.

1. nyg052003

nyg052003 Agent

charles
    I have upgraded to a smart fone and my area of my yard and surroundings is a dead zone as told by verizon. I have a network extender in the house and it helps when in the house, though the other phone actually picked up better with it ( must have had a better antenna than my Samsung galaxy 3 . Outside in the yard anywhere not in the front of the yard, it pretty much is one bar, sometimes none and the signal is awful. Now that I have my mancave setup I will be spending alot of time in there and i need reliable , or better service at least. We had cell phone repeaters installed at the job that works great but I'm not trying to go expensive and just wondering what kind of cell phone signal boosters that might be plug and play that will help and won't require much installation or running alot of wires, digging holes, ect. Hoping maybe one of you guys had a similiar issue that you might can tell me what you did. And hopefully it will help outside as well but even if its placed inside of cave and works only in there mostly, i will be happy. I can always go outside in the cave and talk.

2. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Also wondering if cell phone boosters really work.

Have a dead zone right in my home office.

Look forward to replies

3. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Wilson Electronics.

4. Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris Supporting Actor

Also, while this may not be a "cure-all", if you have 3G, I would at least try using *228 (if you have not already done so) to make sure your roaming profile is updated to correspond to any new towers in your area. Verizon told me that *228 can prolong battery life, help obtain a stronger signal and reduce dropped calls.

5. nyg052003

nyg052003 Agent

charles
    as far as i know and have googled,* 228 doesn't work with 4G which i have.

To shan, are you recommending that and are you saying it is the answer to my problems lol?

6. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Yes

7. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    Ron - I have AT&T cell phone service and have to use a MicroCell (femtocell) in my home because there is little to no signal inside. With the MicroCell, I usually have full signal. It needs to sit by a window because AT&T requires a GPS lock for it to stay functional. Other than that, it connects to my broadband and functions like VoIP. I think Verizon also makes one and calls theirs a network extender. I don't know about Sprint.

8. Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris Supporting Actor

Sprint calls theirs an "Airave" (or "Air Rave"). I know somebody who I consider to be highly technical who said it was difficult to install, and ultimately did not improve signal strength very much.

9. nyg052003

nyg052003 Agent

charles
    verizon actually sent me the network extender about 3 yrs ago. I am going to move it to the window of the room it's in to see if that helps. I only have one telephone jack that's working so it's location is limited to that one bedroom so i will move it to the window and see if it helps. If not, I i will need to continue to see about improving the signal

10. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    Dave - I can't speak for the Sprint Airave, but AT&T's microcell took about 5 minutes to install and another 5 minutes (or less) to register using AT&T's microcell iOS app. The hardest part was waiting 45 minutes for it to acquire GPS lock and download new firmware before it went active. I've had it for three years and there is an absolute difference in signal strength and call quality after installation.