What's new

Anyone have any ideas on good/long range two way radios? (1 Viewer)

Jonathon Tillman

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I have just began my research in finding a suitable two way radio for use on a ATV trail that has no cell phone signal. I have no idea what mile range is good enough, I guess the more the better. I live in PA and we travel to the Poconos to go on the ATV trails provided by Delaware state forest.
The trails are maybe a mile at the most but I am afraid we will be getting into further distance trails and I would like communication being the phones don't work.
I mean god forbid one of us gets hurt or are in trouble etc.
We have one ATV and the rider is alone riding, we have to have some form of contact.
Ok, so I have been looking at the Garmen rhino, Motorola Talkabouts and Cobra radios but I am finding the reviews of the range as being undershot. Both the Garmen and Motorola have radios with max range of 5 miles and with a Cobra with a max of 7 miles. Seven miles sounds nice and I can get it for $50 off the web, but is it really 7 miles and is it worth it?
Reviewers complain about the wattage that a 2 watt sounds like a half watt. Does the Government restrict the wattage?
I am looking for something under $100 that you could recommend. I have also looked at the VHF radios that are $300+. Please help.

Jonathon

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
If you are not looking at constant use (year round, etc), you might consider renting a satellite phone if weight is not am issue. Globalstar and Irdium are basically the two major players in the NA market. Iridium is worldwide whereas Globalstar is mostly contintental US and the carribian. Iridium is of course more costly, I rented a Kyocera phone on the Iridium network of satellites for a recent backcountry trip to Wrangell St. Elias for $80 for two weeks. A globalstar phone is considerably cheaper for what you would need in PA. So, if this is just a one week fling, you might consider renting a satellite phone if you do have a landline in your cabin/house in PA..

just a thought anyway.

As far as two way radios go:

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...ory_rn=4500616

Have never used that one but they are generally line of sight but do claim a 7 mile radius though I would think that would be only under ideal conditions.

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks