What's new

Carl Fink on Physics (1 Viewer)

JParker

Second Unit
Real Name
James Parker
DaveF said:
That's a curious site. It reads like the author is proposing significant new theories. But I don't see any science or math; nothing beyond armchair philosophizing and pop-sci editorial. That's fine if you're a Brian Greene, writing science for the masses. But this fellow doesn't indicate he has any background from which to produce explanation for the masses.
But maybe I missed it, I didn't look hard.
Finally, I'll post a link to a YouTube video --
Here: http://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/2012/06/06/returning-science-to-real-physics/
Leading EU proponent Wal Thornhill takes us back to the fundamentals of the natural sciences before theoretical physics became a playground for mathematicians. “Mathematics is not physics,” he says, and the absolute requirement is that observation and experiment lead the way, inviting mathematicians to complete a picture, not build one on a foundation of mere abstractions.
or here:
Free bonus: http://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/2012/06/06/the-electronic-sun/ :cool:

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
What does mocking internet nonsense have to do with being a good person? :)
http://neutrinodreaming.blogspot.com/2011/09/electric-universe-theory-debunked.html

JParker

Second Unit
Real Name
James Parker
Well, boys, I'm back with news:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThunderboltsProject?feature=watch
Daily Bell had a thought provoking essay:
A Village of Scientists?
Tuesday, September 18, 2012 – by Staff Report
How many scientists does it take to make a discovery? ... The era of the lone genius, as epitomised by Albert Einstein, has long gone ... Ask people to conjure up an image of a scientist and Albert Einstein is most likely to pop into their head. The iconic image is of a lone genius beavering away in some secluded room until that familiar equation – E=mc2 – crystallised in his brain sufficiently to be written down. I very much doubt doing science was ever quite like that, but it is even more unlikely to apply now. – UK Telegraph
Dominant Social Theme: It takes a village to build a scientific breakthrough.
Free-Market Analysis: Once again, we find the dominant social theme proposed that many scientists are necessary to make an invention in the modern era.
We've written about this meme before. It is part of the larger promotion to impress upon people that they are no longer capable of understanding their world without the machinery of big science.
This mania for bigness extends throughout society at this point...Sports are defined by mega events such as the Olympics. Even politics is pursued on the gigantic stage of the United Nations.
http://www.thedailybell.com/4313/A-Village-of-Scientists
The Higgs Boson: Steaming Particle of Bull$#!% ... Bruno Maddox visited the Large Hadron Collider, and all he got was one lousy God Particle, a whole bunch of Swiss coffee, and infinite questions about the universe ...
So it's been a month...wait, no, it's been two months, and from the silence roaring suddenly out of Geneva one has to assume that physicists are still—still—trying to figure out if the subatomic particle lately glimpsed by the Large Hadron Collider really is the elusive "Higgs Boson" they've been hunting for half a century. Rolf-Dieter Heuer, the ABBA-looking dude who runs the Conseil Européene pour la Recherche Nucléaire, which built and maintains the LHC, was only comfortable saying in his July 4th press-conference that the new particle exhibits "Higgs-like" properties, but more research is needed—years of it, to be specific—before we'll know for certain that this is the submicroscopic speck that's famously not actually known as "The God Particle."
Given that no one so much as threw a shoe at Heuer during his maddening announcement, and that CERN's facilities remain untorched, even unvandalized, two months later, what it is not too soon to say, however, is that physics would appear to have gotten away with it: a decades-long campaign of hype, propaganda, and outright deception that saw a ragtag bunch of social misfits swindle the world out of billions of dollars, monies which as of this writing have not been returned. What follows is the story, if not of an outright hoax, then at least of the most audacious and effective PR campaign in the history of science.
http://www.gq.com/news-politics/newsmakers/201209/higgs-boson-rolf-dieter-heuer
The thrust of the GQ article is much the same as several other articles on the subject: Physicists have created elaborate scientific challenges as part of a full-employment.
What is driving big science, in other words, is not a quest for discoveries or even military reasons. It is the more mundane quest for a paycheck.
And it does turn out that the scientific community is now in aggregate admitting that even if Higgs has actually been found – as they say it has – it will only help account for some one percent of the universe's mass.
What's up next? A whole new family of particles and gigantic machines to track their energy signatures. Of course, we're not surprised. We never much believed that the current experiments would offer anything definitive. For more on this issue, search the 'Net for "Daily Bell" and "big science."
The universe, as we reported before, is electrical, or has electrical elements. It is not the weak force of gravity that organizes the universe but the strong force of electricity. Even nebulas are shaped by electrical currents.

For those who can think, think about this. Funding most likely will dry up soon...
More from GQ, and good evening...
Anyway, it's all behind us now, by which I mean it's all, or almost all of it, still in front of us. The Higgs may have been, as we were endlessly told, the "final piece" of the Standard Model's puzzle, but what we were told somewhat less endlessly was that the Standard Model itself is really just one small, early piece of a bigger puzzle of huge but still unknown dimensions. The most deflating moment of my generally grim trip to Geneva was listening to Rolf-Dieter Heuer, the ABBA-looking dude who made the Higgs announcement last month, coolly discussing CERN'S plans for the next generation of gigantic particle accelerators. As Heuer spoke, I felt a tiny frown appear on my forehead, and glancing around the CERN media center, I observed the same tiny frown appearing on the foreheads of the other less-well-informed members of the global media. I'm guessing that they, like me, had thought that, you know, this was it: that once the world's largest machine had found the last undiscovered particle, we'd be getting out of the game, as it were, vis-à-vis particles. Sure, there would be other mysteries to solve, other voyages of understanding upon which humanity would boldly embark... but surely we didn't know what those were yet. Could it really be possible that in ten, twenty, and a hundred years we'd still be accelerating particles around circular tracks and smashing them together in search of yet more particles?
Yes, it seems. That's exactly what we're going to do. Now that the Higgs has been found, the next order of business is to study its properties and then, based on our findings, begin the search for what's always described as an exciting "new family" of particles, those predicted by the theory of "supersymmetry." Something like that anyway. Something involving finding more particles, and then even more particles after that.
The big question, of course, is whether we the public are going to feel like paying for it. We're not as rich as we used to be, and it's by no means clear we have the emotional energy left to work ourselves into a lather again over another supposedly crucial particle, let alone a whole family of them. We could have sworn we just spent many billions of dollars building a Doomsday Machine so scientists could find the God Particle. Unless they can also discover a whole new family of superlatives to dazzle us with, some time is probably going to have to pass before we open our wallet that wide again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks