What's new

CAN'T UNDERSTAND THE ABSENCE OF SO MANY EASTWOOD FILMS ON BLU-RAY (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I would have thought all the Eastwood-directed films would have come to Blu-ray years ago.

Where is TIGHTROPE?
BRONCO BILLY?
PLAY MISTY FOR ME?
THE BEGUILED?
THE EIGER SANCTION?
BIRD?
WHITE HUNTER, BLACK HEART?
and quite a few more.

Weren't just about all of Eastwood's films decent-sellers on previous video formats?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't understand this thread as Eastwood is as represented on BD than most actors. I have about 38 of his titles on BD.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Robert Crawford said:
I don't understand this thread as Eastwood is as represented on BD than most actors. I have about 38 of his titles on BD.
He is certainly better-represented on Blu-ray than many actors/directors, but he also has a much longer filmography than most. I am just a bit perplexed by why the rest of his work is still DVD-only.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dick said:
He is certainly better-represented on Blu-ray than many actors/directors, but he also has a much longer filmography than most. I am just a bit perplexed by why the rest of his work is still DVD-only.
I bought BDs of Joe Kidd, Escape from Alcatraz, Two Mules of Sister Sara and High Plains Drifter in 2013. I expect more of his titles to be released in 2014. There are actors underrepresented on BD, but Eastwood isn't one of them.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
To be fair to Dick, 'underrepresented' isn't a word he used, although RC is correct to point out that he's anything but.

Listen Dick, the truth is they can only put so many films out at once. Of the ones you mentioned, I have a lot of love for The Buguiled and The Eiger Sanction, but the only one I'm genuinely surprised hasn't shown up yet is Play Misty For Me.

We all have our own wants and desires, but sometimes we just have to wait...and wait...and wait...

Steve W

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
On the very top of my Eastwood wish list is MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD AND EVIL which flows like a moving valentine to Savannah and would be a truly gorgeous blu-ray.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Yorkshire said:
To be fair to Dick, 'underrepresented' isn't a word he used, although RC is correct to point out that he's anything but.

Listen Dick, the truth is they can only put so many films out at once. Of the ones you mentioned, I have a lot of love for The Buguiled and The Eiger Sanction, but the only one I'm genuinely surprised hasn't shown up yet is Play Misty For Me.

We all have our own wants and desires, but sometimes we just have to wait...and wait...and wait...

Steve W
I totally agree. Simply seems to me that, with all the re-packaging of titles that have come out 3-4-5 times on Blu-ray already, Warner Bros. and Universal might consider getting out the first Blu-ray release of the remaining Eastwood catalog. I know, it's an old argument.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Do you mean the absence of some of Eastwood's films in the US? I'm sort of wondering this myself even though I'm aware that most of his filmography has indeed already been released here. I'm sure the films have been a cash cow for Warner, even the perceived "lesser" ones so that's not the problem. I just see a general lack of interest on the part of the studios for deep catalog titles in general. Importing is an option for many people I suppose but I think there's a stigma around that for some folks. Not everything that comes from overseas is the best quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks