What's new

Canon Rebel XP successor? (1 Viewer)

Terri Chu

Grip
Real Name
Terri Chu
that's what I'm afraid too. Better SR than its predecessor means more wiggle room for the sensor to do the SR compensation. How long will that sensor be dead accurate is still a question mark.

On the other hand, I've never used a digital SLR body for longer than 2 years anyway.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
So I got back from Dragon Con this year, and have been looking at photos from the convention on Flickr, and most of the photos taken with the Pentax K10D have caught my eye.

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
What you're likely noticing in the Dragon Con pics from the K10D is the built-in image stabilization (IS). In the low-light environment of a convention hall, that IS would be invaluable for getting good shots.

After owning the Canon S1 IS (with built-in IS, as you know), I upgraded to Nikon's entry level DSLR, the D40. I love it, but none of the lenses I own so far have IS (Nikon calls it Vibration Reduction/VR), and there are plenty of times when I miss it.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have two Canon lenses with image stabilization (IS) -- the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS. The feature works very well, especially at longer focal lengths. However, I still found a tripod to be necessary when shooting wolves and distant bison in Yellowstone NP, especially when I attached a 1.4x teleconverter to the 70-300.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Jeremy,

Canon's newer IS lenses, like my 17-55 f/2.8, do not require the IS to be turned off when on a tripod. I cannot remember if my 70-300 IS is supposed to be turned off, but I always leave it on and have not experienced any problems. Since I usually have my hand on the camera when using this lens on a tripod ( using a cable release when photographing moving wildlife is difficult for me), having the IS engaged is beneficial.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks