What's new

Can I use existing equipment for HT? (1 Viewer)

JimEll

Auditioning
Hi,

I've been an audio enthusiast for 25+ years, but am fairly new to the HT bug. Can I build a system around the following:

Adcom 555II 2 channel amp
Acoustat Spectra 1100 speakers

And if so, what are my amp/preamp options?
I really like the sound I'm getting from these components and would like to incorporate them into a HT system if possible.

Thanks for your help!
Jim

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Jim,

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, you certainly can. It's the way I started myself and many enthusiasts have a "separates" system in their home theater. In fact, that way you may be able to continue to enjoy a sound system that excells for pure audio too.

What you need to do is add a decoder and some more amps, preferably including a subwoofer.
Or else buy a receiver and then use your own equipment instead of two of the channels (choose which ones you want).

More information to help you decide (e.g. which decoder/receiver, etc.) can be found in our primer, as well as in the hardware forum, especially Receivers/Separates/Amps.

Never hesitate to ask here, if a member knows the answer, or at least where it can be found, he/she will certainly help you!
But don't believe everyone. :)

Good luck with your system!

Cees

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
something to consider is the concept of "timbre matching".

it sounds like you already have speakers you like, so that's a good thing.

when you get your center and rear speakers, you'll want to try to get ones that are sonically "similar" to your existing speakers. that way, the motorcycle in the left speaker doesn't sound like a moped when it hits your center speaker.

another alternative is to get three new speakers up front, then move your existing ones to the rear. actually, i think that's a better idea. sonically, the rears are still important (they still receive full bandwidth), but if you had to have mismatching speakers, i think most would agree to put the oddballs in back.

that adcom amp is great. i had a friend who used to have one - i always liked the way it sounded.

JimEll

Auditioning
Cees,

Thank you for the warm welcome. I've found lots of GREAT info concerning receivers vs. separates, as well as the speaker matching issue mentioned by Ted.

Thanks again guys!
Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks