What's new

Can anyone identify this tree? (1 Viewer)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

I think I can. Yes, yes. That's the tree outside your workplace.

Glad to be of help.

htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric

That looks real close. I'll have to wait till spring to see the leaves.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
can you find out the name of the gardening service and ask them?

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
My parents are up from Punta Gorda visiting and Mom seems to think its an Orchid Tree. She isn't positive, but that is her gut feeling.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
The flowers on the orchid trees I looked up do not have the same cone shape - but they are the same color.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
If you really want to know, just take the picture to your local nursery. They should be able to tell you what it is.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to vote for some sort of Hibiscus...

...although I don't know diddly about trees. The flowers remind me of a hibiscus plant I once had... that I killed.

Eden Keeper

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
I'm actually here just for the tree ID starting with this one that brought me when I searched for tree ID forums. Although I've never actually seen one it is probably a black poui, Jacaranda mimosifolia D. Don, which is the most common cultivated species in the genus. The foxglove like flower shape (and lack of a terminal bud because the end of the twig dies each year thus resulting in the tree forking) got me close since princess tree, Paulownia tomentosa (Thunb.) Siebold & Zucc. ex Steud., is similar. From there I searched for just trees at increasingly higher classification levels (getting up to order) until I found it at; http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=JAMI, where it is shown to be introduced (from South America according to Wikipedia) and thus present near where indicated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks