What's new

Buying front speakers separately (1 Viewer)

pinkjosh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vishal
Hi All,

So I have been enjoying my Onkyo HT-9300THX (7.1 channels) system from last 2 years and it did a perfect job to make me content. Unfortunately, a guest accidentally dropped my front right speaker and the speaker started producing cranks in the sound it outputs. I think it is time to replace it with a new one.
I have two options here:

1. Analyze and buy Front Right/Left and Center channel speakers from a better brand like Polk, Klipstch, Infinity. I will have to invest at least $500 for the same. (I see a Polk speakers $199 each and it looks good to me but I dont want to invest $600 for now) The speakers I saw:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290278
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290280

2. Another option to go for is to replace and buy a new Onkyo front right speaker. However I am searching for it but could not find it anywhere. May be they do not sell speakers as individual pieces.

I do want to upgrade and inclined towards option 1 but I would want to wait for it and do required homework before investing $$$ into that. For now, I just want to replace my front right speaker. I know that I should not be buying a different brand speaker and set it as my front right speaker. This is so becauase my understanding tells me that my Front right and left speakers should be same in the tech spec as well as the brands.

I request experts to help me where can I find this front right speaker (I am even open to buy the pack of Front right and left Onkyo speakers as I have today because I think they will not cost me as much as other brands) . If it is not possible to buy individual front right speaker, I request additional guidance about what are my options.

My other question is: The Polk speakers I saw has lower frequency range of 35Hz-25KHz and 50Hz-25KHz (for the other one). My current Onkyo front right speaker has frequency range of 20Hz-50KHz. Does it make the Polk speakers lower than what I have. My understanding is that the more frequency range a speaker support, the better it is. (I may be wrong though).

Your help is really appreciated.

Thank You.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There is no way the front speakers of the 9300 reach 20hz. Not sure where you read that...you either read it wrong(where it meant "complete system frequency range") or Onkyo is misleading(quite possible).

For the moment you could just replace two. The Polk you link would work out to $400...for the front three. They would, more than likely, be an enormous improvement.

pinkjosh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vishal
Thank you for the response. My bad. I incorrectly stated 20Hz. It was 50Hz and I aplogize for the same. However the higher end of frequency still says 45KHz whereas Polk speakers, the one I shown above, has 25KHz. Could it be concerning for me.

So is it not possible to buy the same Onkyo Front speaker as an individual piece from somewhere? I am interested in Polk speakers but I prefer to delay this purchase for some time and would like to replace current front speaker with the same from Onkyo (so that it costs me lower until I decide to go ahead for Polk).

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
pinkjosh said:
However the higher end of frequency still says 45KHz whereas Polk speakers, the one I shown above, has 25KHz. Could it be concerning for me.
There are a few people that can hear higher than 20k hz but the average person can't. Between 25 years of concerts and even a longer time shooting, I'm sure I can't hear 20k hz at all.....Just checked. It may be my cheap computer speakers but with an online tone generator, 12,000 hz is silent to me.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The New Monitor(which is what this is) is a new speaker line. Me, personally, I would buy the 3 new Polk so you'll know what you've been missing.

pinkjosh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vishal
Thanks all... I am also clear about the higher freq range doubt that I had. I am too inclined towards buying Polk. I think I am going to buy set of 3 speakers (Front/Left/Center). I am with you on this and certain that Polk speakers will outperform than the one I currently have. My question is: Will it be okay if I still use current Onkyo 9300THX Surr Back and Surr speakers (and subwoofer) with new Polk front right/left and center. I dont want to upgrade whole 7.1 speakers because my budget cannot exceed $450 or so :(.
Is there any other brand in this budger $450 that I shold check out or Polk would be the right choice. I have been looking around but they are costlier. Even Polk speakers have different range as far as proce is concerned but I think I like the one I linked above ($149 front left and right each with $100 center).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
IF most of your listening is movies/gaming, you won't have any issue with(at the moment) mismatched surrounds.

However, if you listen to music using the DSP or listen to SACD/DVD-A...then you'll want to, very quickly, get all the speakers matching.

So...there you go.

pinkjosh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vishal
I am planning to finalize my plan to order these 3 speaker sets from Polk. The package will cost me about $400 or so with two floor standing left and right along with center channel 2 way speaker.
I am looking around to confirm my choice. I would like to know should I check out any other speaker brand before I click Order Now button...
Thanks all for your help. Appreciate your time on this.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Polk Monitors from newegg.com have been recommended around here for a couple of years now. The only other ones near that price range are the Infinity Primus 363's at Fry's (in-store only) for $234/pr, but you'ld have to find the 350 center speaker elswhere, and the Andrew Jones designed Pioneer speakers at BestBuy-Amazon-etc. But those are relatively low sensitivity speakers at about 86 db.

Browsing CL I could get some Infinity Primus 360's ($165), 350 center ($100) and 160 bookshelves ($70) + about $35 in gas/bridge tolls, $5 at 7-11 and an afternoon of driving around the S.F. Peninsula. They've all been listed for a few days now so I could easily get them for less then that. The 360's and 363's are basically the same speaker but I prefer the grills on the older models. Someone in Santa Cruz is selling a pr of 363's for $135. But it's a bit of a drive for me.

pinkjosh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vishal
Thanks again. Looking around to see any deals on these Polk new monitors and oh no, I saw these Klipsch floor standing on newegg again:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780027

With a coupon code, the speaker costs $149 and that is exactly same as Polk that I was planning to order. When I see Klipsch speaker spec, I noticed their sensitivity if 95 DB and 400W whereas Polk (the one I want) has 200W and 90DB. I am not sure if it should be taken into consideration that Klipsch has 6.5" speaker diameter whereas Polk has 5 something. However, Polk has 3 way speakers where these Klipsch has 2 way. I understand that both Klipsch and Polk are good when it comes to speakers so am confused what to do, specially due to difference in these tech spec.

Please help. I will keep looking to help my self take a decision.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The 95db means it will require roughly 1/3rd the power as the Polk.

1 watt is 90 and 95
2 watts is 93 and 98
4 watts is 96 and 101(this, for the Klipsch is already loud enough to cause hearing damage)
8 watts is 99 and 104(The Polk just now enter "hearing damage", for the Klipsch is reference "peak" for 20db reference level)
16 watts is 102 and 107(the Polk is full on into hearing damage, the Klipsch is making your neighbors angry)
32 watts is 105 and 110(The Polk just now reaches 20db reference peak, the Klipsch is making two houses away angry)

Most people listen to "normal" TV at 85-95db

Action movies are typically heard with 85db dialog and 105db explosions(that is how the mixes are set on DVD and BD)

What this means for you...

With the Polk, 105db peak takes 32 watts x 7.
With the Klipsch, 105db peak takes @10 watts by 7(if you replace all your speakers with Klipsch eventually).

pinkjosh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vishal
Excellent Sam. :) So that would mean I will require less power from AV receiver to produce the same level of loudness to Klipsch than I would need for Polk. So my understanding is that a given loundness of sound at 10 volume level on my AV receiver for Klipsch, however I will need to increase receiver volume to generate 3 times more power to Polk in order to have same level of sound. Is that a correct understanding.

I know both are good brand but what should be suggested based on the sound quality. I read some reviews of this Klipsch where people says these Klipsch speakers are too harsh and loud whereas Polk has clean and focused sound quality. Price wise (their standard registered MRP), Klipsch, as I linked above, is costing even less than or almost equal to Polk even with higher sensitivity (that is confusing). Is it BMW-Mercedez or Pepsi-Coke type combination where either Klipsch or Polk would work. I will also be buying center channel so it should be of the same brand as left or right speaker. So if Polk are good in center channel speaker race then my confusion will be clear otherwise I need help again to decide which way I want to go.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Coke vs Pepsi.I will venture a guess the speakers you are replacing are 85db at best.Like everything else...Buy both, try them at home, return the one you like least and buy the center for the one you kept.At worst you run into a 15% re-stock and maybe return shipping.(i have never returned anything to NewEgg. I have no idea what their "changed my mind" return policy is)So it might cost you $100 to know, without doubt, which one you like best.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Maybe RC Cola vs Pepsi? Coke vs Pepsi is more like Energy vs Klipsch. (My Smiley Faces aren't working so add one here)I like a brighter, higher spl speaker for movies/tv but bright speakers can be a bit tiring when listening to music for extended periods.Newegg's return policy can be different from item to item so read the fine print for each speaker/item. Also be aware, some companies that offer free shipping deduct the shipping cost (to you) from any refund amount so check on that as well. It's often times better to sell things on CL at a small loss than to absorb the shipping costs both ways. AperionAudio.com is one company that offers free shipping both ways and doesn't deduct a re-stocking fee if the terms of the return are met. But they are a bit ouside your price range.

pinkjosh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vishal
I have a question on the dB ratings. I understand that my AV needs twice the power to increase speaker's loudness to additional 3dB. My current right left speakers have 83dB sensitivity spec at (1w/1m). That means I will need 10w more power from my AV to increase loudness from 83dB to 93dB. Thats fine but then when I watch movies, I set my AV volume (relative) to -15dB. Does it mean my speakers are playing at (83-15) = 67dB? But then if speakers are specified with 83dB at 1 watt power and I am playing them at 67dB, what would be the input power from AV? Is it below 1 watt in this case (because 1 watt will generate 83dB from my speakers)? I know its not correct and thats why I am confused.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks