What's new

Busby Berkeley Set Dancing to DVD (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Since the bonus disk has the same numbers as the previously released laser disk, I was wondering if anyone who has the laser disk could list the numbers included.

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
The Busby Berkeley (Laser)Disc
42nd Street-Young and Healthy/Shuffle Off to Buffalo/42nd Street. Gold Diggers of 1933-We're in the Money/Pettin' in the Park/Shadow Waltz/Remember My Forgotten Man. Fashions of 1934-Spin a Little Web of Dreams. In Caliente-The Lady in Red. Footlight Parade-Sittin' on a Backyard Fence/Ah, the Moon is Here/Honeymoon Hotel/Shanghai Lil/By a Waterfall. Wonder Bar-Don't Say Goodnight/Goin' to Heaven on a Mule. Dames-The Girl at the Ironing Board/I Only Have Eyes for You/Dames. Gold Diggers of 1935-The Words Are in My Heart/Lullaby of Broadway. Gold Diggers of 1937-All is Fair in Love and War.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Well, BrianRi, I DON'T find that Jolson number 'fascinating'- and as a "person of color" I think it is most offensive and if it is included in the bonus disc, there should be a warning on the packaging that some of the content may be offensive to today's audiences as a matter of taste.

Patrick McCart- I don't see myself as a 'PC fiend', after all, I'm a big fan of Howard Stern (yes, I plan to follow him to satellite radio!), but there are differences between what is satire and what is racist, and from a 2005 standpoint, Goin' To Heaven On A Mule is overtly racist. And by the way, you are aware that the release of Birth of A Nation directly led to the revival of the KKK and thousands of racial lynchings?

Films by and large should entertain the populace, not encourage racism, anti-Semitism (to the end of her days Leni Riefenstahl still didn't get the great harm she did with Triumph of the Will!), misogyny or homophobia.

The Berekley set should celebrate the escapist fantasies he created at Warners (with the notable exception of the dramatic and heart-rendering Remember My Forgotten Man from Gold Diggers of 1933) during the worst days of the Depression, not set pieces which lead to acts of hate and negative stereotyping.

Charles H

Screenwriter
I wonder what the readers of this thread will think about January's release of THE GREEN PASTURES. "Blackface" was Jolson's M.O./schtick--not Berkeley's. Berkeley's choreography and staging is as inventive as anything that he has ever done and I'm sure that the number was intended as a deliberate parody of the Pulitzer Prize-winning 1930 stage version of THE GREEN PASTURES. (By-the-by, Rex Ingram is superb in the film version coming out next month.)

Richard Matich

Stunt Coordinator
Is that acclaimed documentry on Berkley included on one of the dics? Are these just fluffy little docs on Berkley. I thought I saw one once that was outstanding. I hope I'm not dissapointed.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

That GOING THROUGH THE ROOF documentary was good, but not great....It was a little too perfunctory for my taste...

Nonetheless, it would have been nice to include, but, it wasn't a Turner production, they were one of several producers, and with Warner now the owner of Turner, the only reason they wouldn't have included it, is if there were a rights issue.

Don't forget that some older documentaries may never be seen again due to lapsed clip licenses, or music licenses.
This frequently sends a great deal of programming into unreleasable puragtory.

Sad....

But getting back to the subject at hand, I have every confidence in the world that this will be a terrific set, worthy of WB's peerless track record.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks