What's new

buck rogers in the 25th century dvd release (1 Viewer)

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
According to The Digital Bits, there will now be a separate Season 2 release this November. I wonder if they'll finally offer the TV version of the pilot on there as a bonus. I was always very disappointed that the original Complete Series set didn't have both versions, especially since Side B of the last disc only contained one episode, so there was plenty of room.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Bryan Tuck said:
According to The Digital Bits, there will now be a separate Season 2 release this November. I wonder if they'll finally offer the TV version of the pilot on there as a bonus. I was always very disappointed that the original Complete Series set didn't have both versions, especially since Side B of the last disc only contained one episode, so there was plenty of room.
No, apparently the content on the discs is the same as the complete set,
the only difference is the dvds are single sided.
http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Buck-Rogers-25th-Century-Season-2/17403

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Originally Posted by derosa /t/315434/buck-rogers-in-the-25th-century-dvd-release#post_3965578
No, apparently the content on the discs is the same as the complete set,
the only difference is the dvds are single sided.
http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Buck-Rogers-25th-Century-Season-2/17403

The single-sided discs alone are worth the upgrade IMO. Those double-sided discs in the complete series set are among the worst DVDs in my entire collection and many of them won't play all the way through. I had contacted Universal at the time about replacements but never heard anything. I'm constantly amazed at how poor Universal's products are (their BD load times are insane, for example).

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Sam Favate said:
The single-sided discs alone are worth the upgrade IMO. Those double-sided discs in the complete series set are among the worst DVDs in my entire collection and many of them won't play all the way through. I had contacted Universal at the time about replacements but never heard anything. I'm constantly amazed at how poor Universal's products are (their BD load times are insane, for example).
I agree. I wasn't willing to upgrade on just season 1 alone, but now to be able to get both seasons I'm more than willing to upgrade. So, glad I can get these and get rid of the complete series set.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
If both seasons are single sided now, I'll be inclined to upgrade too.
What I am not going to upgrade on as far as an old Universal DVD-18 goes is getting the complete McMillan And Wife set just to upgrade S1.

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Bryan Tuck said:
I wonder if they'll finally offer the TV version of the pilot on there as a bonus.
If you have the streaming service Netflix offers, the TV movie version of Buck is available to watch with the rest of the series. I stumbled onto it one day, as I just assumed it was the theatrical version. Other than that there is a old VHS PAL release that you might be able to find used.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Scott511 said:
If you have the streaming service Netflix offers, the TV movie version of Buck is available to watch with the rest of the series. I stumbled onto it one day, as I just assumed it was the theatrical version. Other than that there is a old VHS PAL release that you might be able to find used.
I have seen it on Netflix a couple of times, and it's good that it's there. I just don't understand why after three releases, they can't seem to be bothered to include it on one of the series DVD sets. It seems like such an obvious thing to put on there, and there is plenty of disc space.

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
It appears the 2nd season of Buck has been delayed now until Jan. 8th, 2013.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0090F6SD4/ref=s9_simh_gw_p74_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0ECK97NDRF7BSRSKKTT8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846
I wonder why a two month delay?
Does anyone actually think Universal is listening, and now has plans of adding the TV pilot version of the movie to the set?
Too much to hope for huh?

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Scott511 said:
It appears the 2nd season of Buck has been delayed now until Jan. 8th, 2013.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0090F6SD4/ref=s9_simh_gw_p74_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0ECK97NDRF7BSRSKKTT8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846
I wonder why a two month delay?
Does anyone actually think Universal is listening, and now has plans of adding the TV pilot version of the movie to the set?
Too much to hope for huh?
Guaranteed sale here if they do.

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
It would certainly help in filling up that last disc, which only has the one episode on it.
Would love if they also included a short retrospective documentary with Glen Larson, Gil Gerard, Erin Gray etc. Even if it's just in the 20-25 minute range.

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
kingfish said:
i have a feeling that the studios are running out of modern tv series' to release on dvd so maybe the classics have a chance. :)
I doubt that, very much.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
While it's great news that both seasons will now be available on single-sided discs so I can finally retire my problem-laden "Complete Series" sets (yes, I've gone through two of the motherf*****s) and upgrade, I really wish Universal would go ahead and re-issue the original BATTLESTAR GALACTICA on single-sided discs as well (I'd even be fine if they left off some of the extras). Even better, they should issue it on Blu-ray, given the obvious success of other older sci-fi shows on Blu-ray. To my knowledge, BG was filmed and edited on 35MM film, and all of the visual effects were completed on film as well.
I would hope for a Buck Rogers blu-ray set someday, but I suspect hell will be frozen over by then and I will be long dead. Maybe classictvfan91 can whip up a wish list for a dream set to tide me over :)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Jeff*H said:
While it's great news that both seasons will now be available on single-sided discs so I can finally retire my problem-laden "Complete Series" sets (yes, I've gone through two of the motherf*****s) and upgrade, I really wish Universal would go ahead and re-issue the original BATTLESTAR GALACTICA on single-sided discs as well (I'd even be fine if they left off some of the extras). Even better, they should issue it on Blu-ray, given the obvious success of other older sci-fi shows on Blu-ray. To my knowledge, BG was filmed and edited on 35MM film, and all of the visual effects were completed on film as well.
I would hope for a Buck Rogers blu-ray set someday, but I suspect hell will be frozen over by then and I will be long dead. Maybe classictvfan91 can whip up a wish list for a dream set to tide me over :)
I think they should go for all the sci-fi and genre greats on blu-ray. BG would be the first--I think it's gonna need a lot of remastering, or at least cleaning, before it goes blu, but I think it may happen one day. Buck needs even more cleaning, I think--just by comparing the picture quality between BG and Buck. BG isn't the greatest looking show ever on dvd, but it still looks about 25% better than Buck.
Did anybody ever feel that Buck was, in a weird way, almost like a Season Two of Battlestar? Because Buck stole BG's Vipers, some of its props, costumes and tech panels and its entire sound effects library. Every time I watch Buck I can almost sense Col. Tigh in the next room--telling Buck to shut up.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
The TV version of the pilot episode is going to be included on the Season 2 release. Here's the story:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Buck-Rogers-25th-Century-Season-2/17506
Well, that cinches it for me. I will be upgrading to the new sets and retiring my Complete series set.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Great news indeed! It sounds like Universal listened to the fans on this one, and actually gave us added value to the set in addition to the single-sided discs--a true upgrade. I think it's great that we will now have both the original theatrical movie (although not in widescreen, unfortunately)and the 2-part tv version, for completists such as myself.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The inclusion of the TV pilot, as well as the single-sided discs, makes this an upgrade worth getting.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I have already ordered Season 1 and will be pre ordering Seasoln 2 a little bit closer to the release date.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Jeff*H said:
While it's great news that both seasons will now be available on single-sided discs so I can finally retire my problem-laden "Complete Series" sets (yes, I've gone through two of the motherf*****s) and upgrade,
My Buck Rogers "complete series" set of double sided flipper disks seemed to have freezing + skipping problems when played on my standalone dvd players. But all the flipper disks from this set ripped and played fine on my computer dvd-rom drive.
Jeff*H said:
I really wish Universal would go ahead and re-issue the original BATTLESTAR GALACTICA on single-sided discs as well (I'd even be fine if they left off some of the extras). Even better, they should issue it on Blu-ray, given the obvious success of other older sci-fi shows on Blu-ray. To my knowledge, BG was filmed and edited on 35MM film, and all of the visual effects were completed on film as well.
Hopefully.
So far Universal has already reissued several season sets as single sides disks, some of which had previous versions done as flipper disk season sets, such as:
- Magnum PI season 1
- Magnum PI season 2
- Sliders season 1
- Sliders season 2
- Xena seasons 1 to 3
- Hercules seasons 1 to 3
So far I have held off on buying season 3 of Sliders and season 1 of the original Battlestar Galactica, in the hope that Universal will re-release them as single sided disks.
I may be tempted to "double dip" on some tv season sets if they are reissued as single side discs, such as:
- the original Knight Rider (all 4 seasons)
- the A-Team seasons 2 to 4
- Miami Vice seasons 1 + 2
- Airwolf season 1
- Magnum PI seasons 3 and 4
(several Law & Order franchise season sets originally done as flipper discs)
- Law & Order seasons 14, and 2 to 4
- Law & Order: Criminal Intent season 3
- Law & Order: SVU seasons 2 and 5
(Over the last year or so, I've noticed these particular flipper disc season sets have been filling up the local dvd bargain bins).

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
jcroy said:
I may be tempted to "double dip" on some tv season sets if they are reissued as single side discs, such as:
- the original Knight Rider (all 4 seasons)
- the A-Team seasons 2 to 4
- Miami Vice seasons 1 + 2
- Airwolf season 1
- Magnum PI seasons 3 and 4
(several Law & Order franchise season sets originally done as flipper discs)
- Law & Order seasons 14, and 2 to 4
- Law & Order: Criminal Intent season 3
- Law & Order: SVU seasons 2 and 5
(Over the last year or so, I've noticed these particular flipper disc season sets have been filling up the local dvd bargain bins).
I've been fortunate to have a Second Spin used-DVD/CD/ store near me, and I've found several single-sided seasons of A-Team (seasons 3 and 4, specifically) that were originally part of the COMPLETE SERIES box set and then sold to the store as individual seasons in their individual slim cases from the set (featuring different package art than their original releases). I still do not see these being released on Amazon as single-sided releases (they are still selling the flippers), so I highly recommend checking out the second-hand markets such as ebay or any other used-DVD retailers you may know of.
I had originally bought a Buck Rogers Complete Series set in 2004 when it was first released, and those discs played well for a few years until I started having problems with a couple of them. By then, a friend from Universal sent me a (flawed) second set, and I mixed and matched the discs from both sets to make a set that played flawlessly for several more years, but I've had more problems since I switched to a newer Blu-ray player. Fortunately, I tracked down one of the new Season 1 sets for about $10 on Amazon, and am now eager to get the (new and improved) Season 2 set in January!

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Jeff*H said:
I had originally bought a Buck Rogers Complete Series set in 2004 when it was first released, and those discs played well for a few years until I started having problems with a couple of them. By then, a friend from Universal sent me a (flawed) second set, and I mixed and matched the discs from both sets to make a set that played flawlessly for several more years, but I've had more problems since I switched to a newer Blu-ray player. Fortunately, I tracked down one of the new Season 1 sets for about $10 on Amazon, and am now eager to get the (new and improved) Season 2 set in January!
I'm at the point where the only way to play these atrocious Universal flipper disks without any problems, is to rip them to the hard drive and watch it on the computer. (I have an hdmi jack on the graphics card, which connects easily to the big screen tv at 1080p 60Hz).
I even have a few Universal releases on single sided dvd discs, which freeze and/or skip on my standalone dvd players. The only way I was able to watch these extremely problematic dvds, was to rip these atrocious dvd disks using a program like IsoPuzzle and using a dvd-rom drive which could read at slower speeds less than 4x. (Many newer manufactured dvd-rom drives will not read at lower than 4x speed).
It seems like Universal has been one of the worst major movie companies for skimping on quality control on their dvds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks