What's new

buck rogers in the 25th century dvd release (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Off Topic:I love both new, and old Battlestar Galactica. I never even watched the original series until it was released on dvd quite a few years ago. Before that, it was hazy memories in my 5 year old brain on Sunday evenings. Watching it on dvd left me with only one real complaint. Too many two part episodes. But it was a decent 70's tv series(I love 70's tv) that even if an episode was too corny(yes some absolutely were) I still enjoyed it a great deal. The new series was gritty, dark, well written, and like most newer good tv was an awesome character study. Something I feel that the original series never delved too far into. I remeber hating Edward James Almos at the time(not on the show) when he was promoting the series. He said the original series was a joke, and to watch the new series. I never understood that. He was basically disrespecting fans of the original series in promotinng the new. At any rate, 70's tv in general was a far different animal than anything on in the early 2000's. I respect both, and my love for 70's tv will always be there for me until the day I die.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Jack P said:
it's evident that Trek's overall ratio of good to above average episodes was about one-third at best).
Nah, what's evident is that you don't like Star Trek all that much. Which is fine. Personally, I'd say original Trek was 1/3 great, 1/3 good - average and 1/3 awful (with all three mixed throughout). It earned its rep and I never see the point in using it as a negative example to prop up a less popular or successful series. Each TV series should stand or fall on its own without having to denigrate another to make your point. That said, I loved Original BSG and felt it was at its best with the multi part episodes that had a chance to really explore the concepts. The majority of the single part episodes were lacking and fell on stereotypes (Shane, The Good, The Bad, the Ugly, disaster films, etc.). There were exceptions (The Hand of God was as good as any of the best 2 parters), but Galactica was made to be epic, not episodic. It should have been given the chance at life as a series of TV movies. It was a different series than Star Trek and the two should not be compared. Actually, BSG was the true "Wagon Train to the Stars" that Trek never was. I also love the Irwin Allen SF shows, Space:1999, Buck Rogers, V, UFO, The Invaders, Planet of the Apes, Logan's Run and a host of other lesser shows. And I even enjoyed the BSG remake for the most part, once I got past my prejudice and took the show for what it was. I was fine with it aside from the in your face gratuitous sex.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
ScottRE said:
That said, I loved Original BSG and felt it was at its best with the multi part episodes that had a chance to really explore the concepts. The majority of the single part episodes were lacking and fell on stereotypes (Shane, The Good, The Bad, the Ugly, disaster films, etc.). There were exceptions (The Hand of God was as good as any of the best 2 parters), but Galactica was made to be epic, not episodic. It should have been given the chance at life as a series of TV movies. It was a different series than Star Trek and the two should not be compared. Actually, BSG was the true "Wagon Train to the Stars" that Trek never was.
Oh, I like the two parters a lot(The Gun On Ice Planet Zero was tops for me). For someone that only watches one hour long episode of classic tv a night, it kind of threw me off a little. It was an epic show, and I'm still confused to why it was cancelled so early.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Bryan^H said:
I remeber hating Edward James Almos at the time(not on the show) when he was promoting the series. He said the original series was a joke, and to watch the new series. I never understood that. He was basically disrespecting fans of the original series in promotinng the new.
I thought what he actually said (as I seem to recall reading it at the time) was something along the lines of, "if you're a fan of the original series, you probably won't like our show very much, and you should probably just continue to watch the old show instead." I don't think he ever said don't watch the old show, just that if you were very passionate about Original Battlestar, you probably wouldn't like the changes. I hope we can put this whole old vs. new debate here to rest (especially since it's off-topic for a Buck Rogers thread), but even though I am a self-confessed fan of the 1970s show, and have never had the desire to watch the "re-imagined" version, I do acknowledge that the new show is more popular and better thought-of with today's viewing audience. Just because it's more popular doesn't make it "better" than the old show (again, I was never interested in watching the new show because of all the changes). I can still be fan of the old show, but admit that, in reality, it's not as popular with today's crowd. To blindly say "no, it isn't" just because it's not something we'd like to believe is just ridiculous. Now, can we get back to Buck Rogers?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
ScottRE said:
Nah, what's evident is that you don't like Star Trek all that much.
Not so, actually. I am a fan of Trek on an entertainment level and I would in fact agree with the ratio of 1/3 great, 1/3 average, 1/3 bad. That to me is an identical ratio over three seasons to what Galactica managed to do in one. But lately, I've been rewatching a few episodes of Trek I hadn't seen in more than a decade and it was incredible to see episodes like "The Apple", "The Savage Curtain" etc. and find them to be even worse than a bad LIS or Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea episode simply beacuse they aspired to be higher and as a result when the results landed with a thud it was tougher to brush it off than with a bad episode of the Allen shows.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Jack P said:
Not so, actually. I am a fan of Trek on an entertainment level and I would in fact agree with the ratio of 1/3 great, 1/3 average, 1/3 bad. That to me is an identical ratio over three seasons to what Galactica managed to do in one. But lately, I've been rewatching a few episodes of Trek I hadn't seen in more than a decade and it was incredible to see episodes like "The Apple", "The Savage Curtain" etc. and find them to be even worse than a bad LIS or Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea episode simply beacuse they aspired to be higher and as a result when the results landed with a thud it was tougher to brush it off than with a bad episode of the Allen shows.
I think we're on the same page then. Agreed, The Apple is pretty awful, and I can't argue in the defense of The Savage Curtain other than it's goofy fun that would be better suited to Voyage. I also agree with applying the same ratio with original BSG. When it was firing on all cylinders, it was really epic TV. Ah now, but Buck Rogers....! It's cheese, but cheese of the highest order. But I like cheese, even if it hurts my belly.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
With over 100+ complete series it is great being able to site back on given night and just pick a show to watch. Tonight I decided it would be Buck Rogers! I watched the episode with Anne Lockhart and she was amazing beauty of the time!! I remember her most from Battlestar Gallactica as sheba.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Anne still is a beautiful woman today even. She's also the only reason why I was so glad to finally see Hardy Boys S3 come out (for her guest shot in the first episode of that season).

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Jack P said:
Anne still is a beautiful woman today even. She's also the only reason why I was so glad to finally see Hardy Boys S3 come out (for her guest shot in the first episode of that season).
I totally agree with your post!! I still cherish my Charlie's Angels sets for one reason only that is the beautiful Jaclyn Smith. The good thing about the female actress of the past is they were beautiful and did not have the fakeness and tatoos the young ones have today!

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Did anyone else ever dream of a Buck/BSG crossover where Wilma and Sheba team up? If only both shows had been on the same network! :D

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
i am hoping that universal will re-release the original battlestar galactica on single sided dvds. the double sided discs left much to be desired.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
SilverWook said:
Did anyone else ever dream of a Buck/BSG crossover where Wilma and Sheba team up? If only both shows had been on the same network! :D
I always hoped for a BSG STAR TREK crossover. Problem: a Cylon Base Star is threatening your area of space. Solution? Nothing a couple of Phaser Banks couldn't handle! :biggrin: :laugh: :rolling-smiley:

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Well folks, put me down for a Buck Rogers blu-ray remaster & release with updated special effects (a la Star Trek TOS). Of course to satisfy traditionalists here, make sure to include versions with the original special effects (again a la Star Trek TOS).
I was considering starting up a Buck Rogers blu-ray thread in the Blu-Ray forum if the admins don't mind. Especially since it was launched by a feature-length movie in 1979.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I finally watched the television version of Awakenings last night, and I have to say that's one of the worst transfers I have ever seen in the history of DVD. The show is great fun, but I wonder if any effort at all was put into the bonus episode? BTW, I have read that Buck Rogers is being released in Germany on blu-ray but only in standard definition (which I thought violated the rules of the format). The show would really shine if a true HD upgrade were made. Here's hoping.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
Kyrsten Brad said:
Well folks, put me down for a Buck Rogers blu-ray remaster & release with updated special effects (a la Star Trek TOS). Of course to satisfy traditionalists here, make sure to include versions with the original special effects (again a la Star Trek TOS).

I was considering starting up a Buck Rogers blu-ray thread in the Blu-Ray forum if the admins don't mind. Especially since it was launched by a feature-length movie in 1979.
that would be cool for both buck and the original battlestar galactica. however universal studios will not spend the money. paramount saw the wisdom of remastering the star trek series' seeing the future in blu technology.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
SilverWook said:
it would have been a cool way to go instead of giving the fans galactica 1980.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks