What's new

British titles coming to R1 format (1 Viewer)

Greg Krewet

Premium
Supporter
This should be all the episodes. These come from BFS,and are not in the best of shape. I would say they were of VHS SP. The second edition looks better then the first due to the inprovement in mastering techniques. My first copy of the second volume was defective and I had to have it replaced. If you get it I would recommend DDD which has a price that is worthy of the reduced visual quality. I dont believe they are presented in the same order as broadcast but as they are all stand alone. It wont make much difference. In defence of BFS, they put out DVD of things that you never thought you would see anyway and seem to dissapear quickly. They are still fun to watch and consist of video on inside scenes and film outside with some noticable discoleration on some scenes. I think you can rent at Netflix. Hopes this helps.
Best
Greg

PattyFraser

Second Unit
For the lovers of classic British series, The George Eliot Collection is coming out on region one DVD on April 17, and it will include Ben Kingsley's "Silas Marner, Adam Bede, Middlemarch, Mill on the Floss and Daniel Deronda. I've long awaited Silas Marner so this is quite good news for me, although I already purchased Middlemarch. These titles will be available individually, too.

Greg Krewet

Premium
Supporter
Also coming is Last of the Mohicans, a 1974 version of Dickens's Hard Times and Cousin Bette. I am presuming the upcoming version of Dracula, Ruby in the Smoke, Wind and the Willows and Jane Eyre will be released after they play on Masterpiece Theater in Jan, and Feb.
Best
Greg

PattyFraser

Second Unit
Cousin Bette. This is definitely going on my list. Thanks.

I see that we are finally getting season one and two of One Foot in the Grave in March. Hope they will follow suit with Brittas Empire.

Clay_E

Second Unit

Does anyone know if the 2005 live version of Quatermass is ocming to R1? I know it's available in Region 2, but my multi-region player is acting up and I'd buy a R1 release if there was one.

Greg Krewet

Premium
Supporter
Just a short note to revive this thread, because War and Peace( the Hopkins version) and Dickens of London are now scheduled to be released on Aug 14th from Koch.
Best
Greg

Gregory V

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if they plan to release the great British Miniseries called "Mother Love" with Diana Rigg as the insane Helena Vesey knocking off people she considers a threat to her family? I saw it some years ago on PBS and it was EXCELLENT!!!!!

PattyFraser

Second Unit
Gregory, I have asked and asked about Mother Love. I did notice that it now has a page on Amazon, even though it's not released, which may be a step in the right direction.

Here is an address you might try. I got the following in response to my request about a Masterpiece Theatre movie called "Memento Mori", starring Maggie Smith. I think that goal is hopeless, but I do hold out hopes for Mother Love.

Dear Viewer,

Thank you for your interest in WGBH. We always appreciate hearing from our viewers, listeners, and Web site visitors.

Unfortunately, Masterpiece Theatre: Memento Mori has never had video distribution rights, so it is not available for purchase on VHS or DVD. We're very sorry that we do not have more favorable news to report.

For more information regarding this program, please contact the BBC:

BBC
Television Centre, Wood Lane
London W12 7RJ, England
020-8225-8230
www.bbc.co.uk

Mother Love is also BBC. I notice that the BBC is putting out many, many of their series so there is hope here. Loved this story and my tape is wearing thin. I'd have to keep my tape of it though, unless they release a disc with Dame Diana's introductions to the show on it. It really was Diana Rigg at some of her best work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks