What's new

Boston Acoustics, a good brand? (1 Viewer)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I've owned a pair of CR9s that I bought in 1998. I still don't feel any need to replace them. They have a slightly warmish but still clear quality, together with excellent bass extension for their size. The present CRXX series replaced mine but still use similar drivers, though the woofer is a little different.

I am becoming worried though about where some of their speakers are being manufactured nowadays (mine were built in Lynnfield, MA).

Boston has always crammed sophisticated technology into their speakers for a lower price than most other brands because they usually seem to leave off features that don't directly contribute to the sound itself, like real wood veneers or exotic input connectors.

Disclaimer for the following: I don't know this guy in any way, shape or form!

I have watched this pair of classic 10" 3-way Boston A150s just sit on this guy's site for about two years, so I thought I'd give him a hand by pointing them out for interested HTF members who live in Berkeley California (fourth item from the bottom of the page). If I lived there they would already be sitting in my living room. :frowning: IIRC these speakers used their wide front baffle to form a specific type of wavefront to reduce distortion & improve imaging. And they look cool too because of it (but their WAF is terrible :emoji_thumbsup: :D ).

Gary SI

Stunt Coordinator
Yup :D
I have to agree , this thread is a long time comming !!
I have the Boston "Sound" and could not be happier !!
My speakers are:
Front > VR40`s
Center>VR12
Rear> CR8`s
Front Fx`s> HD5`s
Diriving them all is a Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amp!
And my sub (looking for replacment -BTW );
Velodyne F1200-R

Gary ;)

Eric:F

Stunt Coordinator
i'll jump on the pile too.
i have several pairs of cr6's in various locations at home and office. great small speaker.
our main music set up is a stereo pair of t-930 towers.
no sub needed and that smooth boston sound works well with any music.
a good company that doesn't market too aggressively (easy on the hype).
boston lets their speakers do the talking...
best,
eric

cabreau

Second Unit
My friend has the VR series and they are AWESOME, but they are also more than $1000. I can't vouch for the

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
LOL.....interesting comparison Cabreau. I don' think you heard less than 1000$ Bostons. They are very good but i like the crispness of the aluminum dome over the soft dome tweeters.
FWIW....I have always owned Bostons....started with and old pair of A70's...went to a System 9000II, went to a pair of vr965's.....now own Vr3 fronts with a vr920 center. Love the Boston sound........now if I could just break the bank for some Vr-m90's than life would be good........

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
In a post above, I state I'm not married to the Bostons, though I enjoy mine very much. I still stand behind my statement about preferences and auditioning, but as I've spent more time with my Bostons, I'm really thinking about proposing:D . Every genre of music I've thrown at them has sounded great and, right now, I can't imagine wanting to upgrade the speakers in my system (other gear is always open to upgrading, of course). Unless and until I hear something that seriously impresses me, I think me and my Bostons are in a very long term relationship.

Jeremy Chao

Auditioning
Real Name
jeremy
erik, what kind of receiver are you running the 930s on? I just found a pair and I'm kinda confused by the wattage. 75 a piece? or 300 total?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks