What's new

BlueJeansCable- pseudo review (1 Viewer)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I think the specs for both 7710 and 1694 are identical. I'd go with the 7710 simply because it's bundled at the factory.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Bob,
The glove-soft, flexable rubber cables are actually BAD for the signal. The better/more professional grade cables are usually encased in a very stiff/thick outer sheath.
Not sure I get this. I think everyone knows that Canare and Mogami are professional brands, and they both make a ton of that stuff - and it’s commonly used in pro audio applications.

The last time I saw you mention this, on this thread, you noted that stiff cables better maintain uniform impedance – which is more an issue for video cabling, right?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Arthur Vino

Stunt Coordinator
Does 7710A has that soft rubber cable?

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The glove-soft, flexable rubber cables are actually BAD for the signal. The better/more professional grade cables are usually encased in a very stiff/thick outer sheath.

C

Chris*Liberti

Well I finally tried one of their video cables and it worked well. Surprisingly on my LD player it made a pretty big difference over one of the cheap Monster Cables. The color fidelity was slightly improved and noise reduction was phenomenal.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to throw something out to digest...something along the lines of what Wayne tossed out regarding flexible cables. Now first let me begin, that based upon a perusal of manufacturer's data, there's no doubt that a single center conductor, in a hard dielectric like polyethylene, can be made to tighter tolerances with respect to impedance than stranded. The question is, apart from a preference, is this really needed in all cases?

It's often stated in engineering circles, that the impedance of a wire makes a difference when it's length is 1/4 of the length of the frequency that it's supposed to pass. For example, if the frequencies we're dealing with are 50 mHz, then the corresponding wavelength is approximately 20 feet, 1/4 of which is 5 feet. For a 5 mHz signal, the critical distance increases to 50 feet. Now the way I read this, is that for many people, not only is the tolerance (+/-) somewhat irrelevant, but likely so is the actual impedance of the cable.

This thinking upon my part is predicated by a couple of considerations.
1) We're talking about nominal lengths that are well below the 1/4 thing I mentioned above.
2) The units that we're connecting, a DVD, receiver, or TV, often don't contain circuitry that requires a 75 ohm impedance and quite often has a terminating 75 ohm resistor...faking it so to speak.

Wayne, Bob, Vince, others...any thoughts or perhaps links to where careful studies might've been done?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
No thoughts or links, but a burning question: Has anyone every put a meter across a 75-ohm cable and actually got a 75-ohm reading?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
well that you won't get Wayne since what's talked about is in actuality the characteristic impedance which in this case is not the resistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks