What's new

Blu-Ray Player that supports SACD & DVD-Audio that doesn't cost $500 (ie. Oppo) (1 Viewer)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
gene c said:
A good, used OPPO BDP-80 is another option. There's one for $150 on Audiogon right now with free shipping. But I understand if buying used isn't for you..

O.K. Which one of you knucklheads bought it! I want names! Shouldn't I get a commission or something? A finders fee maybe?? I know, don't hold my breath.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
gene c said:
O.K. Which one of you knuckleheads bought it! I want names! Shouldn't I get a commission or something? A finders fee maybe?? I know, don't hold my breath.
Wasn't me, Gene. :(

Teaches me not to hang out every waking moment on the forum. :unsure:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Dave Corder said:
The newer Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD can play DVD-A and SACD as well; I recently picked one up on sale at Best Buy/Magnolia for $199 (see http://slickdeals.net/f/5953570-Pioneer-Elite-BDP-62FD-Blu-ray-Player-for-only-199-98-At-Magnolia-Best-Buy-B-M - looks like sale price might be $250 now per http://www.avsforum.com/t/1467142/pioneer-elite-bdp-62fd-blu-ray-player-for-only-199-98-at-magnolia-best-buy).
Do you fellas think that $269 on eBay is a good price for one of these units? They are $329 on amazon and $400 on bestbuy.com--although they say in-store only).

It does seem like it would do what I'd like it to do (allow for SACD & DVD-A over HDMI)...

I'm not finding any Oppo (83, 93 or 103) anywhere near that price.

Or, should I hold out for an Oppo? Would it make that much of a difference?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There is always the Denon 1611UD. Seen it as little as $175 used. Amazon WH deal for $308 right now.Ovet HDMI should make zero difference, especially if raw DSD.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ovet HDMI should make zero difference, especially if raw DSD.
Yeah...it's not so much an analog vs. digital comment I made. I just want to clear out a deck from my set-up and in the process take out six thick RCA cables. Such a move will also make it a much easier process for me to listen to the high-rez disks by having a one-player-plays-all situation at hand.

I see the 1611 doesn't even have analog outs.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Its a little more than Best Buy but its also multi region, $328.98 from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/PIONEER-ELITE-BDP-62FD-Region-Player/dp/B009UY2A3C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368452353&sr=8-1&keywords=Pioneer+Elite+BDP-62FD

I just read a review and i should just say forget the link above, in my opinion it's not worth buying this player, it has issues as seen in the review below.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/blu-ray-players/blu-ray-players-reviews/pioneer-bdp-62fd-blu-ray-player/page-4-on-the-bench.html

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I pulled the trigger on a Pioneer BDP-62FD.

Many, many thanks to everyone here for their input.

I vigorously researched the players recommended to me here (and through other communications): the Oppo players (83, 93 & 103), the Denon 1611UD and the Pioneer 62FD.

I am satisfied that the Pioneer will do all I would ever need it to do. THIS REVIEW--providing a rather direct comparison to the Oppo 103 --helped put me over the top and feel as if the Pioneer's price-point and the minor differences between the units (minor, at least, to my needs) made it the better match for me.

Now, I just need to wait for it to be delivered... :(

:rock:

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Congrats, Mike!

The lack of analog 7.1 outputs would be a deal breaker for me, as my receiver does not support HDMI--but has 7.1 analog inputs. As long as you are HDMI only, or as the review says, using it as a transport only, the Pioneer sounds great.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Steve!

My current player is a Panny BD-55 which I had gotten specifically for the analog outs as my old receiver had no HDMI capability either.

But low & behold, I updated to a Denon AVR-790 (a great deal on eCost.com) a year or so ago and will now be able to much more easily play my SACDs, DVD-As and all over the HDMI connection. And I can remove another player (a Pioneer 563-A) which allowed for high-rez audio over analog connections).

Previously I had the two players hooked up to my old receiver with a switch box! Oh, the cabling! :laugh:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
For anyone who might check out this thread down-the-road and be interested...here's the brief video review by the same fella who wrote the more comprehensive review I posted above (on the Pioneer BDP-62FD):

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Mike Frezon said:
I pulled the trigger on a Pioneer BDP-62FD.

Many, many thanks to everyone here for their input.

I vigorously researched the players recommended to me here (and through other communications): the Oppo players (83, 93 & 103), the Denon 1611UD and the Pioneer 62FD.

I am satisfied that the Pioneer will do all I would ever need it to do. THIS REVIEW--providing a rather direct comparison to the Oppo 103 --helped put me over the top and feel as if the Pioneer's price-point and the minor differences between the units (minor, at least, to my needs) made it the better match for me.

Now, I just need to wait for it to be delivered... :(

:rock:
Did you read the review i posted, specifically this below, i know the Oppo's pass all the tests on Spears and Munsil.

With DVD content the Pioneer was virtually perfect, with no real issues to complain about. With Blu-ray content it didn't fare quite as well. With jaggies it does quite well on the synthetic tests, but on the Ships video in Spears and Munsil, there is a lot of aliasing that occurs on the ship in comparison to other players. Additionally with scrolling horizontal text overlaid on film, while there aren't any combed edges, there are areas where it improperly deinterlaces a highlight off the water as being part of the scrolling text, joining some letters together.

The tricky part with the BDP-62FD is the value proposition that it offers. For $200 less you have the Sony BDP-S790 that is almost as fast, offers far more online streaming content, better noise reduction and DVD scaling, integrated Wi-Fi, and analog outputs. The only feature it is really lacking is DVD-Audio support, but for most users that difference isn't worth $200. If you need DVD-Audio support, you can step up to the Oppo BDP-103 for $100 more, which includes a Wi-Fi adapter that offsets the cost benefit of the BDP-62FD, as well as analog outputs, no chroma issue, and even better video processing.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Malcolm:

I did. I had read that review beforehand, actually. But the most important aspect of my search was the pricepoint.

I am prepared to take the risk on those results of some ultra-specific video tests to get the features that were important to me at the lower price. The review to which I posted a link spoke more to me from the perspective of the user-friendliness and that it was a close comparison to the more expensive Oppo unit.

Life is full of trade-offs...or else I would have sprung for the Oppo 103 and have a lot of other different components in my HT.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks