What's new

Blockbuster Video shelf display cards make great mini-posters (1 Viewer)

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
I went to a local junk shop that recycles items from closing businesses. I found hundreds of little thick cardboard mini-posters that Blockbuster Video had been using to hold space on the shelves when the videos were checked out. Each one is about 7 inches tall and about 5 1/2 inches wide and features the movie's original poster art. They are pretty high quality, sturdy and colorful cards.

I picked up cards for There Will Be Blood, No Country For Old Men, Halloween, Grindhouse (Planet Terror), Spiderman 3, etc. The selection wasn't all great (a few movies I never heard of, but the cards art looked cool so I got them anyway). I ended up getting 65 different cards for only $5.00 TOTAL! I will most likely use these to decorate some of the blank walls in my movie room.

Has anyone else found anything like this at their local Blockbusters, and how much were they charging for them? I wonder if all the Blockbusters that are going out of business will be selling these? Maybe it would be worthwhile to ask your local Blockbuster what they're doing with their old cards. I looked on eBay and people are charging $3 EACH for these things!

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin /forum/thread/298374/blockbuster-video-shelf-display-cards-make-great-mini-posters#post_3663307
I looked on eBay and people are charging $3 EACH for these things!
Bob glad you like them but for $3 each I think I would sell the 65 that you have and then go buy some more with your profit.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin /forum/thread/298374/blockbuster-video-shelf-display-cards-make-great-mini-posters#post_3663307
I went to a local junk shop that recycles items from closing businesses. I found hundreds of little thick cardboard mini-posters that Blockbuster Video had been using to hold space on the shelves when the videos were checked out. Each one is about 7 inches tall and about 5 1/2 inches wide and features the movie's original poster art. They are pretty high quality, sturdy and colorful cards.
I picked up cards for There Will Be Blood, No Country For Old Men, Halloween, Grindhouse (Planet Terror), Spiderman 3, etc. The selection wasn't all great (a few movies I never heard of, but the cards art looked cool so I got them anyway). I ended up getting 65 different cards for only $5.00 TOTAL! I will most likely use these to decorate some of the blank walls in my movie room.
Has anyone else found anything like this at their local Blockbusters, and how much were they charging for them? I wonder if all the Blockbusters that are going out of business will be selling these? Maybe it would be worthwhile to ask your local Blockbuster what they're doing with their old cards. I looked on eBay and people are charging $3 EACH for these things!
BBV not going out shouldn't be selling them, bbv going out is going to be pretty random in what they sell them for.
Shouldn't be more then a nickel a piece.
When our store is done with them we toss them in the dumpster.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
I'm surprised there aren't more collectors of these things. Usually anything associated with movies becomes collectible. Back in the day, movie theaters threw out everything too: posters, lobby cards, etc.

dadkins0

Auditioning
Real Name
DUANE ADKINS
Over the weekend, I obtained approximately 10,000 of these cards for free from a craigslist ad. They are pretty great. I have current titles, TV shows, foreign films, b movies, childrens shows etc. They only problem I have is what do I do with all of them. I thought about grouping them together by catagory and selling them on ebay. I have already found around 200 that I wanted for my personal use. Anybody have any ideas. I hate to just throw them away, or give them away. Does any one want to buy any or swap some. Let me know, and give me some titles that you may be looking for. I also have a few 3D cards (Horror film).

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin
I'm surprised there aren't more collectors of these things. Usually anything associated with movies becomes collectible. Back in the day, movie theaters threw out everything too: posters, lobby cards, etc.
I suspect the collector mania over printed things is diminished now that higher quality images usually exist online. Sure, you need to turn your monitor on to look at JPGs, but they never age.

altmoosic2012

Auditioning
Real Name
andi
hi there..i too purchased about 150 movie backer cards at the blockbutser near my home. it was going out of business. and they were being sold 20 for a dollar i want to say......could tell me more about the cards you currently have and are willing to get rid of/sell.......i am putting them in my room as well.....a reply would mean a whole lot thanks. -andi c.

meandnat

Auditioning
Real Name
brian
I would be interested in purchasing and/or trading. I have thousands myself. I stumbled on this site and might not remember to check it so you can send reply to my email, [email protected] Thanks.

movie collector

Auditioning
Real Name
wesley
Local blockbuster closing, 1st I saw and purchased video game art cards. About 50 newer games for 1.50. Few days later they brought out the movie cards, immediately thought the same idea of displaying them on a wall in my movie room or the hallway leading to it. Perhaps with some 3m clear double sided poster squares. Or have them framed in black borderless frames. The kind you find at walgreens. Anyways, I also thought of the infinite possibilities. Selling on ebay was one of them. But I bought so many great ones, I'll keep some and sell the doubles. The movie cards by the way..over 200 for $3!.....the cashier stoped counting after 100...and I really haven't gone through all yet. They are mint condition!!!! Left the messed up ones behind..lol. some are even thick glossy plastic and some are silkscreened!... I know, because I used to make silkscreen posters. So the value us there!...the collectibility is there! And they are rare! Depending on the title. I found movies like scarface...taxi driver....star wars...godfather....every golden globe...academy award...etc. movie you can think of!.....all the indie...foreign film and horror film available...I got it!......city of god...mean streets...I hit the jackpot!. It's brought my collecting to a whole new level!...now I'm on the search for more great finds. Thanks for starting this thread!. I might even go back and buy another couple dollars worth.

Sirmick

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve Irmick
I am looking for Dvd Backer cards...Original Journey to Center of Earth, Murphy's Romance, The Straight Story, Lost in America, Doc Hollywood....Will pay top Dollar $10.00 FOR EACH.

dahoov2

Auditioning
Real Name
Sue
I am interested in certain films of these cards and I would be willing to buy all that you have (depending on price of course). Movies I am looking for are:
Harry Potter (all but Deathly Hallows as I've gotten a ton of these myself already from stores closing here)
Star Wars - Anything related to Star Wars (including the Films, Cartoons, Documentaries, Ewok Films/Cartoons, Droids, Clone Wars, Video Games, Family Guy Star Wars etc)
Lord of the Rings - all the films
Spaceballs
Merlin (the UK new show that now shows on the Sci Fi Channel)
Ones I just want ONE of each are:
Knight's Tale
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Romeo and Juliet (original version; not the Leonardo DiCaprio one)
Titanic
Santa Clause 3
Haunted Mansion
I use them for my hobby except for the ones I have one of...

cvonpohle

Auditioning
Real Name
Christian von Pohle
I have nearly 10,000 backer cards in excellent condition that I collected from Blockbusters in Detroit to Cleveland. Titles include many classics, recent releases, as well as complete TV series. I recognize the value in collectibles of this kind (watch a lot of Antiques Roadshow). However, I currently do not have the room to store them and will be leaving the northern Ohio region for California. My plan is to find someone who understands their potential value and would be willing to purchase them at a much reduced price. Based on eBay, most backer cards start at $3 or so. I would be willing to sell them in bulk/individually at a much reduced price.

jonwinser

Auditioning
Real Name
jonathan
i would be willing to sell mine for about 200 for all! or trade for something photography related

Janelle Lutgen

Auditioning
Real Name
Janelle
I would suggest figuring out how many you can get into a flat rate box with USPS, and put that many in an auction. Then you hAVE YOUR SHIPPING PRICE NO MATTER WHAT THEY END UP WEIGHING.

jonwinser

Auditioning
Real Name
jonathan
anyone interested in these? i have thousands and thousands of unsorted of these still in my house!
cheap price if purchased .. prefer pickup!
i will NOT seperate and look for an individual one though

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
jonwinser said:
anyone interested in these? i have thousands and thousands of unsorted of these still in my house!
cheap price if purchased .. prefer pickup!
i will NOT seperate and look for an individual one though
Hi Jon. Sent you a PM.

RyanCrotty

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan Crotty
Would anyone have any large DVD Backer Lots for sale I would be interested in buying a large lot of them for a project I have coming up. Please email me [email protected] Thanks Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks