What's new

best bet for family room on a budget (1 Viewer)

bigjohn

Grip
Real Name
John Thompson
Going through the preliminary stages of planning to build a house. We are going to have a family/entertainment room in the basement (full finished basement) and while the first priority isn't the theater system, it's definitely something I want to plan for.
Budget for TV and sound system is probably around $2000 to start with (with upgrades definitely possible over the years). I currently have a sony receiver that's 6 years old, with a 400 watt sub and a polk audio surround bar (basically fake surround sound). I want to lose the surround bar and put in true surround sound, using the current sub and receiver if possible. So I'm guessing I just need to buy the TV and surround speakers, unless I try to sell the receiver and sub I currently have and then pick up something new.
The TV will be used mostly for watching movies and sports, with probably a little gaming (PS3) but mainly for sports and movies.
So here's a few things I'm wondering:
What kind of TV?
Thoughts on wireless speakers?
Spend money on the best TV first, pick up decent speakers and use existing sub and receiver?
Gonna be looking through the forums some more and will certainly have more questions but just trying to get some ideas as we start planning.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
How big will the basement be? How much space do you anticipate being between the seating and display? The used market has allowed me to build a considerably nicer system than my budget ever would have allowed if I purchased new, would you consider looking at the used market? I only ask because your budget is kinda tight for what you want to do. Im not sure if that Sony or Polk sub will fly, what are the model numbers?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What kind of TV???
Plasma.
Thoughts on wireless speakers?
Don't bother. They aren't really wireless(they have to plug into an outlet, so there is still a wire).
With $2000, I'd start scouring Craigslist.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks