What's new

Benny Hill DVD's Which ones to buy? Anchor Bay or HBO? (1 Viewer)

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
There are two Benny Hill compilation DVD's, one from HBO that is two discs and one from Anchor Bay that is 87 minutes.
Anyone have these? Do either have material from the other? How are they? I'm inclined to get both if the material is different.
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

George_Reis

Stunt Coordinator
The Benny Hill disc released by Anchor Bay is a feature film compilation of Benny's best bits, originally released in U.K. theaters in 1974. The HBO set is a compilation of various shows and skits from the 70s and 80s. I guess if you're a fan, get both. They're not the same!
www.dvddrive-in.com

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
I am very close to getting both. Benny Hill is just too damn funny. I remember my father trying to keep me from seeing it when I was a kid. It was on around 5 PM and he'd come home about 5:25 and check to see if the TV was warm.
laugh.gif

------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
I highly recommend the HBO Benny Hill DVD. Watching the skits reminded me why I love Benny Hill so much. The documentary is excellent too. I am very tempted to pick up the Anchor Bay one now.
Gregory

John C

Stunt Coordinator
What makes me mad about Benny Hill is the fact that he was on in the UK for like FOREVER. I think at least until between '89 and '90? There is literally decades worth of material but we can't get much of anything over here. I remember seeing some newer stuff on USA (or TBS?) in the mid 80's that has never been shown since. Also, when Comedy Central showed Benny Hill daily, they only showed about 15 episodes, and then reran them over and over again.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Is the documentary on Hill the same one A & E Biography ran earlier this year?
[Edited last by BarryR on October 13, 2001 at 01:56 PM]

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
Luis, The HBO DVD release is the 6 hour set.
Barry, The documentary was done for the BBC and includes a lot of participation from Benny Hill himself. I've seen the A&E documentary and enjoyed this one more.
Gregory

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Thanks, Gregory! All the more reason to get into DVD debt!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks