What's new

Battlestar Galactica remake: Time to weep openly (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
That's not titilation, that's just basic romantic tension. He never got ANY of their clothes off, and there was never anything more than implied necking. The remake has Starbabe running around the flight deck in a sports bra and Baltar screwing Cylons. Like Geisha. Cassepoia was a socialator, a professional entertainer/companion, and probably sexual partner as well. But they never showed it.

I think the only legit concern is that with this new mini coming out, there won't be any green lights for a third version of Galactica for quite some time, if ever. Not that Hatch was ever going to get the rights anyhow, but I appreciate that the hope dies hard.
I want Tom DeSanto's version, which Richard later grabbed onto. Had Fox's movie division not been greedy and grabbed Bryan Singer off of the project, a proper Galactica revival would have reached TV screens instead of this travesty.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Jeff, not to mention, let's make Baltar a young guy that the girls will go ga-ga over. :rolleyes

Gary.H

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not too sure how it will turn out whether I'll like it or not but, It'll never be nearly as good as the original.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Had Fox's movie division not been greedy and grabbed Bryan Singer off of the project, a proper Galactica revival would have reached TV screens instead of this travesty.
Or maybe it would have been horrible. We'll never know. Unless we learn how to tunnel into parallel worlds that is.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
As we all know, a good script does not guarantee a good film.

That's not titilation, that's just basic romantic tension.
Oh come on, it was typical loose late 70's Swingers/Disco era sexual freedom that seemed so shocking to TV viewers in that day on shows such as Charlie's Angels - Vegas - Soap - Dallas even Buck Rodgers had this bed jumping attitude. ;)

David Forbes

Supporting Actor
Lest we forget, the original Galctica was a dismal failure in the ratings, lasting one season before being retooled into the horrid Galactica:1980. Now that's something that should be expunged from the world's collective consciousness.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Lest we forget, the original Galctica was a dismal failure in the ratings, lasting one season before being retooled into the horrid Galactica:1980.
A show consistantly in the top 10 is a ratings failure?
It did VERY well. But ABC got cold feet because of its production cost. After they struck the sets, and everyone moved on(2 months or so) ABC said "gee, maybe we shouldn't have cancelled it" and called up Glen Larson. They wanted to make a TV movie where Galactica finds Earth. "You have 6 months" they told him. 3 weeks later they called him up and said "it's now a series, you have 6 weeks". And the rest is craptastic history.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
BG was only one season? Wow. It seemed so much longer. I mean it had some regular episodes, then the whole Caine thing, then the crystal ship storyline... I'd have thought that was two seasons at least. I guess memory doesn't always serve.

I'd hope, if Moore's show turns into a series of minis, or even into a regular series, that it will go into some of that (he already implied he'd like to do the Caine part of it). Those crystal ships were creepy.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The Complete Galactica production History

Battlestar Galactica(Series)(1978)
-----------------------------------------------
Saga of a Star World (Parts 1-3, Pilot)
Lost Planet of the Gods(Parts 1 and 2)
The Lost Warrior
The Long Patrol
Gun on Ice Planet Zero (Parts 1 and 2)
The Magnificent Warriors
The Young Lords
The Living Legend (parts 1 and 2, NEVER released to video)
Fire in Space
War of the Gods (Part 1 and 2, NEVER released to video)
The Man with Nine Lives (Fred Astaire!)
Murder on the Rising Star
Greetings From Earth (Part 1 and 2, NEVER released to video)
Baltar's Escape
Experiment in Terra(NEVER released to video)
Take the Celestra
The Hand of God(NEVER released to video)
(Gag reel is out there, you can officially purchase a licensed copy of it through Rainy Daze Productions as part of their 15th and 20 Yahren Reunion videos, though I have to find new contact info)

Battlestar Galactica Telemovie Versions
(The movies that combine 1 hour episodes feature horrific voiceovers and stand-in actors to "bridge" the 2 eps)
--------------------------------------
Battlestar Galactica(Theatrical version of Pilot)(1978)
Battlestar Galactica- (2:30 version of the pilot)
Lost Planet of the Gods(slightly expanded from TV ver)
Gun on Ice Planet Zero(slightly expanded from TV ver)
The Phantom in Space (Lost Warriors/Hand of God)
Space Prison (Man w/9 Lives/Baltar's Escape)
Space Casanova (Take the Celestra/Long Patrol)
Curse of the Cylons (Fire in Space/Magnificent Warriors)
Living Legend (expanded)
War of the Gods (expanded)
Greetings from Earth
Murder in Space (Murder on the Rising Star/Young Lords)
Experiment in Terra (Return of Starbuck(G80, edited), Experiment in Terra(expanded)

Galactica 1980(except for Return of Starbuck, only Lorne Greene(Adama) and Herb Jefferson(Boomer) return)
---------------------------------------
Galactica Discovers Earth (Parts 1-3)
The Super Scouts (Shivver) (Part 1 and 2)
Spaceball
The Night the Cylons Landed(Part 1 and 2, Wolfman Jack cameo, again shivver)
Space Croppers
The Return of Starbuck (the only decent episode)

Galactica 1980 telemovies(cut and pasted from all over G80)
------------------------
Mission Galactica: The Cylon Attack
Conquest of the Earth

Battlestar Pegasus- Never produced attempt to turn Galactica into Superdimension Fortress Macross by Todd "Crackpipe" Moyer(the man responsible for influencing Chris Roberts to destroy Wing Commander in the film version) influencing Glen Larson.

Battlestar Galactica: The Second Coming(1999)(Richard Hatch Trailer)

Battlestar Galactica(2001)- Tom DeSanto written continuation that was to be directed by Bryan Singer, and rumored to be starring Ian McKellan as Adama. The only new Galactica that would have seemingly been done properly, written by a true fan, and continued the original story. Dirk Benedict and several others were very close to signing to come on board when Fox pulled the plug to have Singer work on X-Men 2

Battlestar Galactica(2003)- Blasphemous Ron Moore remake that none should soil their eyes with

*whew* :)

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
How many shows did they do? I was also thinking it was atleast two or three seasons.

I'm looking forward to seeing just what they do with the show. I saw the set (Galactica Bridge?) on their website and I'm not sure how I feel about it. Not what I was expecting but the fighters look cool.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Out here the pilot was indeed theatrically released. As a gimmick the cinema advertised that it was being shown in "Sensurround", which in retrospect was probably a .1 LFE channel coupled to a heavy-duty subwoofer. Hence the current DVD release has an "easter egg" of a 1.1 soundtrack, rather than the more usual 1.0 mono.

My brother actually has a VHS copy of the pilot, bought cheap at a sale. I still haven't watched it, since I was waiting for the DVDs -- initially due last year on R4, now due in a few months. Nostalgia is getting the better of me and against all better judgment, I'm sorely tempted to borrow the tape and have a go...

Gary.H

Stunt Coordinator
I've never noticed that much lfe on the dvd. Any way to accessing the easter egg? Am I doing something wrong?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It's not an actual Easter egg, it's just not listed, but the DVD is 1.1 replicating the Sensurround

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
As noted in post #72 above, I was tempted, and did, borrow said VHS tape. Watched about 45 minutes of it last night.

I must class this with Space:1999 -- stuff that seemed a lot better when I was a kid. Not that it's bad, but it's a lot cheesier than I remember. I suppose kids are relatively immune to cheese factor, or is it stuff in the 70s/80s is/was cheesier than stuff today? Or just changing tastes?

I never remembered a very young Rick Springfield as Zack. Quite a surprise to see him in it. (Anyone else think David James Elliot of JAG is a slightly beefier version of Rick?)

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
While I thought the original series was unwatchable even as a 12 year old; I think they should have done a more direct sequel for any new version. They could have had some of the original cast members appear along with a newer, younger core cast.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I think it's more changing tastes.

Rick also is very happy to sign Galactica stuff, or so I'm told. I'm hoping I can get him to sign my DVD at some point

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
They could have had some of the original cast members appear along with a newer, younger core cast.
The "The Next Generation" approach, yes? Which I believe is what Richard Hatch was proposing. Certainly to me it makes a lot of sense.

Commander Apollo, President Tigh, Colonel Sheeba. That would've been interesting. Instead we're getting a "new" dysfunctional Apollo and Adama, and a female Starbuck.

I know I'm rehashing old grouses here; come to think of it, even the name is now inappropriate, isn't a "buck" a male deer? Heck, the Aussies call a stag night a "buck's night". She should be "Stardoe"...

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
As much as I would have liked to see Hatch's vision of the new BG come to fruition, the only thing that would have made me truly happy would be for ABC to have half an ounce of guts and let the original series continue in 1979.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks