What's new

Battlestar Galactica remake: Time to weep openly (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I will watch it, with fellow fans, sponges ready to throw at the screen, and probably with hard liquor nearby for when it gets really bad.
Well, if weeping, gnashing of teeth, throwing sponges, and drinking hard liquor is your idea of a good time, go for it! :)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Actually, I can deal with the Viper and the uniforms and the helmets. The sex change of some of the key players stinks and they should've gotten someone else to play Baltar, ugh!

JasonRH

Second Unit
Jeff,
Don't watch it when it airs. There's almost no chance you (and many other fans of the originals) will be able to stomach it:) Some of the alterations are just too drastic to even associate it with the original. They should have just used these ideas in an entirely new concept for a show and not related it to the original in any way.

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
I have liked Battlestar Galactica since it's debut back in 1978. Having read the Q&A with David Eick over at the Sci-fi website, I am quite excited about this. The pictures in the link above look cool. I will wait until I see the actual product before I pass judgement. Plus, the original had it's share of stinker episodes anyway.

JasonRH

Second Unit
Jeff,
The script review supports what I expected all along and I wish they would drop this project and get someone who would do it right or leave it alone all together. The tone of the remake is not surprising - sex and violence being major themes. I had no intention of ever watching it before but if this script review is accurate then I'm positive I'll skip it and save myself the aggravation. Thanks for the link.

p.s How familiar are you with Richard Hatch's vision for the show? Do you have any details on his ideas?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Jason, Richard's vision for continuing the show is pretty well detailed in his BSG novel "Armageddon" and on this page

http://www.battlestargalactica.com/a...tsc/index.html

Due to the restrictions on his license from Universal. He can't upload the full trailer to the web. However he does have screenshots. I was there for the scenes with John Colicos and Terry Carter. Funny stuff. I'm not going to retype the stories, but I bet if you do a search on previous BSG threads you'll find them. Or PM me ;)

For the record, since Richard's proposal failed, both he and I strongly support Tom DeSanto's vision of restoring the series.

Joseph Howard

Stunt Coordinator
Since folks are talking about potential reasons for turbines, braking flaps, and aerodynamic flight...

...aboooot the "braking flaps"..... they aren't what
they seem. Those were "thermo-spines" used to dump excess
heat the engines had built up during heavy manuevering,
especially since the fighters were designed to mimic
"aerodynamic" flight even in space. This mimicking
allows for the easiest transition from space flight
to atmospheric flight.

Plus, it confused the hell out of those pesky "logic"
driven Cylons.

Too much speculation about all the technology of
galactica is kinda strange anyway.... there were, what
maybe 5 (?) special effect shots during the entire run
of the show (cheap executive bastards)? (not counting
Galactica 80).

I would have much rather seen the Richard Hatch vision
myself, but I'll reserve judgment until I see what SCiFi
has done...... (Ok, Star*uck as girlie.... :frowning: bad feeling
though....)

Dr. Joe.

Fan since it was called "Adam's Ark."

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
...aboooot the "braking flaps"..... they aren't what they seem. Those were "thermo-spines" used to dump excess heat the engines had built up during heavy manuevering,
I don't know what fan technical manual you got your info from but in the two part premiere, Apollo definitely tell's his brother to hit his reverse thrusters and open the "braking flaps" to give the Cylon's a surprise...:)

Joseph Howard

Stunt Coordinator
I was using no fan technical manual. I was making it up.
Which was the point. You can make up all kinds of stuff
to explain away "seemingly" bad inconsistencies.

For example... ok, so they are "braking flaps" but they
are not "aerodynamic" braking flaps. The braking flaps
that were deployed were to increase the magnetic flux the
ship came into contact with, thus creating an induced
counter drag electromotive force.... in a sense...braking
the ship.

or.... the braking flaps used a flood of dark matter to
artificially change the intertia of the ship braking it...

or.... the flaps were made of exotic matter weaved into
tighly wound cosmic strings (a real engineering feat)
and these created a gravitational wake through spacetime
and... yes,.... would brake the ship.

or... whatever else.....

Dr. Joe

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Here's a quote I didn't see before from

http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/askd...103.html#ask03

Q: Why did you choose to make Starbuck a woman rather than just adding new female characters?

A: In truth, there was less agonizing over the descision than you might imagine. We wanted to demonstrate how men and women fight alongside each other in this world.....

OK, so Sheba doesn't count? Athena was a warrior too, a full pilot who had moved up to bridge officer. How about the several score of women who joined the warrior ranks in Lost Planet of the Gods, and were subsiquently seen in the officer's club and in the background?

Cue real reason: "We wanted a main character we could dress in as little clothing as possible and go jogging in a sports bra on the flight deck"

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
You know, I'm amazed that Moore continued with that "interview". It was more like a poorly-disguised bitch-session.

I'm doin' my damndest to head into this with an open mind, as Moore has done some cool stuff in the past. :) (And yes, I read the draft-script ages ago)

However, this "interview"... I mean, every question is "were efforts made to make this less offensive?" or "If the fans are so important, why aren't you listening" and so forth. If I was Moore, I'd have been tempted to walk out of the room or hang up the phone.

Blah.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Tony, they're legit complaints.

Why are they insisting on blaspheming when they could just as easily do it properly?

Gary.H

Stunt Coordinator
It seems to me the only Hatch could have gotten alot of support for this project is to have the trailer up on the web for people to see. I mean there are so many Star Wars fan films floating around I just don't under stand what happened.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Who knows why they made starbuck a women. They may have done it for the less cloths thing, but it dosnt mean they did it for that. There are a lot of women in sci-fi thse days and i can name a bunch who werent put in just for eye candy

capt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks