What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Batman The Complete TV Series Limited Edition (11/11)(Blu-ray)(DVD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Ordered yesterday at 188.00, current price this AM is 213.00. I agree with previous poster, better to order now, and lock in price. If it drops, Amazon will guarantee you the lower price

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Richard V said:
Ordered yesterday at 188.00, current price this AM is 213.00. I agree with previous poster, better to order now, and lock in price. If it drops, Amazon will guarantee you the lower price
My theory on this is that if Amazon reaches their pre-order quota they won't have a reason to lower the price anymore, which means no additional discount. By not pre-ordering early you might actually put Amazon in a position where they feel the need to lower the price to ensure more release day sales. I think best not to preorder and either watch the price on a daily basis or better yet use camel* to inform you when the price goes down.

I believe it was the R&H musical BR release that everyone thought was initially priced too high that i noticed it moved up and down periodically, but then went much lower for about a week, then shot all the way back up again. It was like once they reached a certain quota they had no need to lower it again until after the release date.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
smithbrad said:
Gunsmoke season 9 volumes were available from Amazon @ $14 a volume just this past May.
I got Season One at Amazon for $10 in May. I'm not a huge Gunsmoke fan but I couldn't pass it up at that price.

I'd like to get Batman on Blu eventually, but I can wait. The Dick Van Dyke Show on Blu is currently going for $63.20 at Amazon!

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I know the price is a big issue for many and naturally it would be better if the price was lower but for me, Batman is a must have. Every since VHS came out in the 80's and we started recording episodes we wanted Batman to come out for home release. Then DVD eventually came out and a lot of old shows were being released but not this one. After three decades of waiting and the roller coaster ride of legal issues and no information I can not and will not wait one more day than I have to.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
This is not meant to be a knock on other posters, just an observation. For the last 5 yrs (since that is when I joined HTF) I have read posters urging Fox to please, please, please release Batman, and that they would be willing to pay anything (my assumption) to get this series. The answer was always the same, legal/ownership/royalties obstacles. Well, it finally happened, and I'm sure a lot of people had to get financially rewarded to sign off on this. So, now we finally have the opportunity to purchase this series, and people are digging in their heels about the price. After all the years we waited, did anyone really think they would release the series on the cheap? Again, this isn't meant to be a criticism, just something to think about. Peace, out.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Richard V said:
This is not meant to be a knock on other posters, just an observation. For the last 5 yrs (since that is when I joined HTF) I have read posters urging Fox to please, please, please release Batman, and that they would be willing to pay anything (my assumption) to get this series. The answer was always the same, legal/ownership/royalties obstacles. Well, it finally happened, and I'm sure a lot of people had to get financially rewarded to sign off on this. So, now we finally have the opportunity to purchase this series, and people are digging in their heels about the price. After all the years we waited, did anyone really think they would release the series on the cheap? Again, this isn't meant to be a criticism, just something to think about. Peace, out.

Richard,

Completely honest. Completely true.

You know what? Gotcha!

Years spent urging the studios to make this work and get it released.

With all the money bound to split between two studios and all the red
tape that had to be cleared, we should not have expected this to be cheap.

Those that wanted it at any cost will pay for it. I have absolutely nothing
negative to say about that. In fact, I don't think I personally complained
about the price. I get it.

It's just that for the rest of us, we know the inevitable price drop is going
to happen. It's hard to shell out this much money when we know that by
waiting a few short month we could be spending much less.

However, let me stress again, I don't believe the majority of HTF members
feel this set is unfairly overpriced.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Pre-Ordered!I'm one of the HTF members that have waited *decades* for this! I am just *thrilled* to finally have the opportunity to obtain the full series on optical media. As others have stated it's been known for years that the release had to clear all kinds of rights issues in combination with a slew of legal obstructions to get to this point. It's a not-so-minor miracle that it has made it!!!

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
It's actually comparable to new releases like The Big Bang Theory, which when debuting on blu retails for $54 for a season of 24 half hour episodes. Multiply that by 5 (to get 120 episodes) and it comes out to $270. Albeit not all at one time. But we all know it can be had for less than full market price, and that the price will drop even further at some point in time. My only question is how limited is the "Limited Edition Blu-ray?" (I take that as indicating the dvd will remain in print and the blu-ray will not.)

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Richard V said:
My comment was only directed to the idea that pre-ordering early with Amazon doesn't necessarily mean the best overall price at release time, even with their guarantee because there is less incentive for them to lower it even more later if they meet their quota sooner. This was in reference to those that have issues with the price but were pre-ordering with the idea of cancelling later if it doesn't decrease anymore.

For me personally, this is not a must have title, which is why I will wait it out a bit. However, there have been plenty of other times I've been first in line with pre-orders to not only get it sooner but to also support the potential for further releases. The TAGS and ILL blu-ray threads were very similar to this one, and in those threads I was on the early pre-order side. So I'm not knocking anyone that is comfortable with the initial pricing.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Richard V said:
From what I read, it seems that most posters are planning to get the set sooner rather than later. I really haven't seen any "way too expensive, count me out" posts. Given how expensive the sets are looking, that's remarkable in itself. I can't see begrudging people for trying to get the best price possible. My thought is that, given that this is being released in early November, there might be some good reasons to wait to see if there will be any good black Friday deals. However, we'll have to see on Monday how limited the limited edition will be and what it will include. Still, if I buy the set in the first month of release, that will be way outside my own normal approach of waiting for price drops. The last tv show I bought in the first month of release was Kolchak, The Night Stalker in 2005.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Since Batman, The Sopranos and The Wonder Years are all coming out about the same time, I'm going to have to get one of them as a Christmas gift rather than immediately buy it. Those 3 sets are probably going to cost about $600 and that's too rich for me (and I spend like a drunken sailor).

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
TravisR said:
Since Batman, The Sopranos and The Wonder Years are all coming out about the same time, I'm going to have to get one of them as a Christmas gift rather than immediately buy it. Those 3 sets are probably going to cost about $600 and that's too rich for me (and I spend like a drunken sailor).
Agreed. For me, this is a "grail" series and I'm not complaining about the price. However, since this will be a complete series set, I feel like I can safely wait to check for a Black Friday sale without feeling like not making an immediate purchase would keep the next season from coming out. This will also be coming out after the Kotter and WKRP complete sets as well as Season 1 of Name of the Game. So for me personally, my wallet will need a little time to catch its breath after those purchases before taking on Batman.

If waiting a little extra time means I don't get a limited set that comes with a specially designed box or a toy/action figure as a special feature, I think I'll survive. Just give me the episodes, complete and in good shape. (Some bonus interviews and/or commentaries would be a nice extra, though.)

So I don't see the purpose of Richard V tsk-tsk'ing people (oops, I mean giving us an "observation"/"something to think about") for not automatically jumping to make an immediate purchase. History shows that the price will drop, and waiting won't affect future releases since it's a complete set.

Some people choosing to wait a little while just means we're conscious of our individual financial situations, not that we're not anxious to add this great show to our collections.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I pre-ordered but am leaning toward canceling my pre-order. I have good quality complete recordings of all the episodes and can certainly wait for a price drop. After all, I just bought the complete Dick Van Dyke series on BD for under $50 less than two years after its release. Will wait to see if the Batman pre-order price drops any but would love to get the BDs eventually for around $100-$120, if not less. I think that's realistic if I am willing to wait.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
The other shoe that has yet to drop - what's this thing gonna look like? Right now a lot of folks are passing on The Wonder Years both because of its price ($250!!) and because the packaging is, to be charitable, less than ideal. I'm kind of expecting less than optimal packaging on Batman as well - I don't think Warner has ever put out a complete TV series set in a nice, shelvable standard-size box. They seem to like the big wide boxes, and cardboard folders/sleeves. I guess we'll find out this week at ComiCon.

I've pre-ordered the set so I'm covered if they have a short-term price drop. But if the price doesn't get any lower before release, or if the packaging sucks, it will be canceled.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Craig S said:
The other shoe that has yet to drop - what's this thing gonna look like? Right now a lot of folks are passing on The Wonder Years both because of its price ($250!!) and because the packaging is, to be charitable, less than ideal. I'm kind of expecting less than optimal packaging on Batman as well - I don't think Warner has ever put out a complete TV series set in a nice, shelvable standard-size box. They seem to like the big wide boxes, and cardboard folders/sleeves. I guess we'll find out this week at ComiCon.

I've pre-ordered the set so I'm covered if they have a short-term price drop. But if the price doesn't get any lower before release, or if the packaging sucks, it will be canceled.
It also remains what exactly is "limited" about the "Limited Edition" blu-ray. If releasing this on the format itself is the part that's limited, then waiting for price drops is an especially risky proposition. Exclusive bonus discs is also something I pray doesn't happen.

As you say, WB seems to like gimmick packaging, and with a complete-series set for a show that has never been released before, I'm hoping what is "limited" about this release is the (expected to be) goofy, oversize packaging, meaning that, hopefully, a slimmed-down version might be in the offing later on (and hopefully, still on blu-ray).

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
JoeDoakes said:
From what I read, it seems that most posters are planning to get the set sooner rather than later. I really haven't seen any "way too expensive, count me out" posts. Given how expensive the sets are looking, that's remarkable in itself. I can't see begrudging people for trying to get the best price possible. My thought is that, given that this is being released in early November, there might be some good reasons to wait to see if there will be any good black Friday deals. However, we'll have to see on Monday how limited the limited edition will be and what it will include. Still, if I buy the set in the first month of release, that will be way outside my own normal approach of waiting for price drops. The last tv show I bought in the first month of release was Kolchak, The Night Stalker in 2005.
I believe that I'm one of the ones that stated previously that I thought it was too expensive. It's very true that the fans will buy this set at this price but the studio is releasing this in the 4 qtr of the year around the holiday which leads me to believe that they want this to sell not to just the diehards but the Christmas holiday shopping crowds as well. Those later crowds won't bite en masse at this inflated price. I think we are going to see falling prices on this as the holiday shopping season gets in gear so I will wait.

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
I think for many the biggest issue with the Wonder Years is the packaging. I know it is for me. I can't justify paying the money for the set when it is inevitable that a standard set will come out later. If it doesn't, then I'll get the ridiculous box, but I would prefer not to.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
The way I see it...we have five months and change until XMAS. Thus, why not use them--particularly if pricing may be a concern!!!!???? That's what I am going to do...make like Ron and some of the others here, be patient and hold out for a good deal. That's what I did with the Breaking Bad barrel last year. And, as fate would have it, I ended up getting it--albeit used yet fully intact--on Black Friday for a very good price, b/w an Amazon gift card I received from somebody very near and dear to me.

As for The Wonder Years...I'll see how this all plays out down the stretch with Batman and The Sopranos each heading my XMAS TV wish list on Blu-ray Disc. if it is not economically viable for me to do so this year, then I will defer TWY to XMAS 2015.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I'm not going to complain about the price. The way I see it - Many of us would have bought this series back in 2002-2006 when most TV was coming to DVD for the first time (and then, on pricey season sets instead of complete series sets). And we would have bought it again on blu-ray circa 2010-2014. Thinking of it that way, this saves money!

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sam Favate said:
I'm not going to complain about the price. The way I see it - Many of us would have bought this series back in 2002-2006 when most TV was coming to DVD for the first time (and then, on pricey season sets instead of complete series sets). And we would have bought it again on blu-ray circa 2010-2014. Thinking of it that way, this saves money!
And if Batman had made it out on DVD with the rest of the class of 2002, it would have been a hundred bucks per season or more.

I recall those days of $119.99 Star Trek TNG and DS9 sets. After that, nothing else seems quite that bad. In fact, TNG on Blu for 60 bucks per season, looking infinitely better than the DVDs, is nothing short of miraculous.

As for Batman. I'm in for the LE Blus. The price is right where I'm willing to pay... 60 bucks per season for the equivalent of around 60 hourlong episodes... same as TNG.

Granted, there will need to be some saving done to cover the cost of buying it all at once instead of every few months. And I think that's whre most people's problems are with the price. It's one big chunk of change laid out at once instead of season 1 for 60 bucks this month, then eseason 2 a couple months down the road, then season 3 a few months after that. There would probably be fewer complaints if that were the case. Of course, maybe that's why the set is "Limited Edition"... this comes first for the people who can't wait, then single seasons come out later for people who don't want to blow a couple hundred bucks all at once.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks