What's new

Barnes and Noble 40% on Thousands of Blurays (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
When I went online I was offered a free 2 month membership which means I've got free expedited shipping. So far I've ordered A&C MF and Airport. Thinking about Harvey.
Are there any good scifi/horror flicks on sale?

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I just ordered three of the new Universal titles that none of my stores had in stock. Didn't get any of the online coupons to work for them, and I HATE not getting the additional member 10% in-store discount, but with free shipping the 40% off was still unbeatable.

All in all, with this order plus two visits to stores this week, I cleaned up like I normally would in the Criterion sale. Sheesh, it's like Christmas every month now. And money? What money?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
FWIW, I'm now seeing what seems to be an overlap between the 40%-off sale and the anticipated B2G1 Criterion sale, but it seems to work only for a select handful of titles near as I can tell. I tried mixing and matching a bunch of Criterion BDs that interest me, but am not owned yet, and these are the ones I've spotted so far that seem to qualify -- they are not marked in anyway so far and only become apparent when you put 3 of them in your shopping cart:

* 39 Steps
* The Lady Vanishes
* Being John Malkovich
* 12 Angry Men
* Last Days of Disco
* Harold and Maude
* Welt am Draht

There may be others I'm missing since I only tried about a dozen or so titles. Also, it's not clear to me whether the B2G1 sale will only include a small select list of titles instead of all Criterions, which might explain why only ~1/2 of the ones I've tried seem qualified. You might want to take 2 from my list and then cycle thru various other titles of interest to you to see which ones also qualify.

Since coupons don't seem to work online (both for the 40%-off and for the usual Criterion sales), this will probably be your best bet for good deals on Criterions until the next 50%-off sale -- and this deal is probably still better unless you have B&N membership and use coupons in-store. One other thing to consider is that there are rumors that B&N will likely stop carrying CD/DVD/BDs in most/all stores by year's end and/or may kill the 50%-off Criterion sale after the next anticipated one in November, so you'll probably want to make to most of this overlap, if you can.

I just placed an order for the first 3 titles on the list above and paid $48+tax on them (on using some reward GCs). I'll probably place another order before it's over, but would like to wait and see a bit whether there will be more titles of interest that work for the overlap tonight. For some of these, I may opt to just wait for the 50%-off sale in Nov, if I can score some others higher on my wishlist w/ the overlap.

FWIW, I also picked up Harvey on BD yesterday at the NYC Tribeca store for ~$11.70+tax (w/ reward GC after 20%-off coupon + 10% member's discount; they wouldn't take my $3 Universal coupon though) -- they had a bunch of them on display. Unfortunately, I got there just before closing and couldn't easily find anything else I'd want for the deal. I suspect they probably do have some of the hard-to-find titles like A&C Meets Frankenstein -- for same price as Harvey -- but I neglected to jump straight to them first and was not able to make it back out there today (per my original plan). Oh well, maybe next time... Not sure what they're hours are today -- usually closes at 9pm on weekdays, but it's Labor Day, so... -- but if you live nearby, you might want to give it a try before closing tonight...

Happy shopping!

_Man_

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Hey B&N: The inconsistencies in stock on these recent Universal titles sure bites the big one, big time.

I shopped a few B&Ns in the Hudson Valley and Western Connecticut -- you know, the suburbs and exurbs of NYC? -- but might as well have been doing so in Hot Coffee, Mississippi.

No offense to the good people of Hot Coffee.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Finally found Harvey and almost Abbott and Costello (but the one copy they had was reserved). Picked up Clue and Parnassus since I was there for less than $30 for the 3 of them
with a 20%, a 15%, and Buzz.
Went ahead and ordered A&C, the newest Out of Africa, Eternal Sunshine, and Airport. Not bad for $50 ($30 in Gift Cards made it feel a little better) -- still about $15-20 more than
if they had been in more stores.
So far these titles seem to be active with the B2G1 and 40% off Prices -- $16each plus tax isn't bad. I haven't tiied all of these, but by reports these are working for now. About 4 hours until
the 40% expires. No extra coupons working that I can find.
12 Angry Men
The Lady Vanishes
39 Steps
Shallow Grave
Harold and Maude
The Gold Rush
The Killing
Paths of Glory
The Last Days of Disco
Being John Malkovich
Summer With Monika
Kagemusha
Rushmore
Vanya on 42nd Street
Certified Copy
Summer Interlude
Night of the Hunter (49.99)
Identification of a Woman (29.99)
Charade
World on a Wire
Looks like the entire list of items are up on bn.com in the Criterion page, but none of the releases since the 50% sale are included.
Go get them guys -- sorry I jumped the gun a little bit, but the list of 170 BD is up, but still only a handful are eligible for the overlap.
Even worse, all the prices appear to have gone back to regular list though the B2G1 seems to be working better now.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yeah, looks like they dropped the 40%-off sale (for everything) earlier than usual probably to try to reduce/eliminate the overlap. I checked back a little too late and missed placing a 2nd order and also missed ordering one or two other non-Criterions at 40%-off. No big deal though since I'm fine w/ waitng for the next 50%-off sale for them, which may or may not work out cheaper for me.

OTOH, if you do spot anything you want that's still at around 40%-off (or better), you might want to jump on it w/ the now reenabled coupons... I'm debating on A&C Meets Frankenstein myself: ~$16.20 less 20%-off coupon for a net of ~$13+tax is not bad although I'd like to get it for ~$10+tax instead. And Romy & Michelle is ~$13.60+tax before coupon, which is unfortunately still higher than the 40%-off mark despite use of coupon.

_Man_

adeline

Auditioning
Real Name
adeline
Thanks for sharing this. One of my friend was discuss about it yesterday and today I have found you. I think you may have related option still available.....

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I just wanted to let folks know that B&N has all The Criterion Collection at 50% off in store and on their web site. I also know that the blu-ray titles will be on sale again 12/18 -12/24. My friend in the store told me about the sale dates

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
The blu ray sale is now going on at B&N. The sale ends the 23rd. I am going in to see what I can pick up before the best of the stock is gone.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I picked up Sunset Blvd and Chinatown the other day for ~$9 each after membership discount + pair of 25%-off single-use coupons (from emails) -- and paid for them using a Discover Card reward GC. They were part of a handful marked 50%-off MSRP, which came to ~$13.50 before the additional discount+coupon.
_Man_

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Ah, finally! I'll be hitting two stores tomorrow, membership card and coupons in hand.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
For those that get email coupons from BN -- supposedly a new batch will be sent out tonight or in the morning 25% Nonmember, 30% Members single use unique ID codes
good from 12/20-12/24
Lawrence of Arabia LE Boxset for as little as 36 + tax -- my slam dunk purchase.
Buster Keaton Box for $115 if you can find in it in a store. Might supplant LOA but I don't think it's carried instore. Online it could still be
ordered for $126
Looney Tunes Vol 2 -- $17

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Got the 25% ones at a couple non-member addies, but none at the member one as usual. Not sure I will let the membership renew again...
_Man_

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Grabbed the Qatsi's for $30 ofter adding a 30% coupon and member discount

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Grabbed the $70 Yojimbo/Sanjuro slipcased set for $30 after the 40%, member 10%, and the $8-off coupon that the system miraculously allowed -- even after the aforementioned discounts took the "selling price" to below $40. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Always try!

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Got a lot of general Blu-ray catch-up done. A lot. I've had the biggest two months in my own movie-buying history, which is saying something, and it's time for a bit of a change of habit!

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
LOA Box for $36
Looney Tunes S2 -- less than 20 though without the slipcover.
Qatsi I got last week for just under $30
Clone Wars S4 for a hair over $20
White Christmas for $11
Watchmen Collectors Boxset for $28 more or less.
Mad Men S5 for $18

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
We can just make this our general ongoing B&N discount strategy thread lol.
They are really hitting the coupons hard, I just got another one time 30% coupon, and on top of the 40% Blu sale that will be one more Criterion I get.
I've gotten a lot of mileage out of the 8 off $40 coupon and the 5 off $50 coupon as well, I only have one Criterion Blu title I can use the 8/40 on though.
The 8/40 and 5/50 are good through the end of January and are generic coupons that you can use each time you go in. That alone pays for the $25 membership. I always shop in store too so the extra 10% is nice too. I've really made a big dent in building my complete criterion set. Over halfway there in just under 6 months

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Are you talking about the email from Thursday or the repeat mail this morning? Unfortunately they are the same codes and it appears the new mail was just a reminder to use the old coupon.
I;ve had virtually no success using the 8 off coupon on anything regular price less than 69.99. Even the 2 times it was allowed I had to fight to get it used on the 69.99 Samarai Trilogy last summer and then on the 79.99 Trilogy of Life last month. I finally got them to accept it I suspect more because it was the last day of hte sale than any real argument I could make. I have never pushed it for the 39.99 disc that many people have have success with since that goes against both the letter and the spirit of the coupon.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I will admit I have done it a few times on the 39.99 titles, but $49.99 and up titles it has always worked for me - it clearly states on the coupon that the $40 metric is the BN price before any discounts or coupons are taken. Knowing the fine print has gotten me through every single transaction - I've had bumps in the road but I've never had the couponing not work.
But I can be persistant and willing to argue when I can lay my case out.
The 30% was a duplicate as I found in store. I ended up getting the Yojimbo/Sanjuro Blu combo with the 8/40 and then adding in Rashomon which made me good to use the 5/50.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks