What's new

Audio problem with Total Recall 2012 blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Dennis Palla
Is anyone else having issues with the audio cutting off and on with this disc? After calling OPPO about the issue, they informed me of a problem with the disc requiring the player to decide what audio format to play instead of the receiver. This is the only disc I've encountered requiring this change of audio input on the player, instead of simply allowing the player automatically send the correct decoding to the receiver. OPPO informed me that Sony was aware of the problem and should be releasing a corrected version. I called Sony and they are aware of the problem but claim that some manufacturers are updating their players to remedy the problem and are not reissuing the disc. I will be calling OPPO again. In the meantime I'll reset the player when playing the disc. Responses?

Ernest

Supporting Actor
Yes I complained to Sony via email the Master Audio track experienced dropouts when played on my Toshiba and Momitsu Blu-ray players. The Blu-ray played without audio dropouts if you switched to another audio track. Attached is Sony's response. I have my Blu-ray players hooked to a Sony HD Receiver via HDMI set to Bitstream. Works great for all Blu-rays now they suggest for this one title to change the players audio output to PCM? I just want to watch the Blu-ray I don't want to be fiddling switching the audio for one lousy title. Its not like I am watching Lawrence of Arabia Total Recall is not even a very good movie. To be honest I never tried what they suggested so I don't even know if changing to PCM corrects the audio dropouts. Dear Ernie, This Audio issue only occurs if theBlu-ray player is hooked up to an audio receiver or a home theater system. If the Blu-ray player is connected directly to the TV or the Blu-ray player, there should be no issue. SPHE is working with manufacturers on a possible firmware upgrade solution, but the issue can be resolved through a simple fix by changing the settings as outlined below. You should be able to change their player’s output from “Bitstream” to “PCM”. Each player is going to be a little different, but this can typically be done in the player’s menu or settings. Please feel free to contact us if you need further assistance. Regards, Jeremy Kimmel SPHE Consumer Affairs 800-860-2878

Real Name
Dennis Palla
Yes it does work when switched to the alternate audio setting. Somehow I'm skeptical of many manufacturers doing a software update just for one incorrectly incoded Blu-ray disc. And yes it is a hassle, and Sony should correct it with a reissue and exchange.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
I thought Sony was going to reprint the disc without the "defect". There's info on that over at the Digital Bits (see link below). Incidentally, some people (including myself) are having identical problems with the Blu-rays of "Brave" and "Finding Nemo" (both 3d and 2d versions). Same issues, same "fix" apparently. The claim is that it's a problem to do with the combination of the Dolby TrueHD track and the "complex branching" of the disc (sounds to me like yet another badly tested copy protection scheme that is backfiring). Anyway, here's the link to the Digital BIts article: http://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/010713_1200 Surprisingly, I never read any official statement on the Disney discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks