What's new

Athem MRX500 - 3D Ready vs Pass-through (1 Viewer)

LuDia

Auditioning
Real Name
Luc
Hi all,

I'm the lucky owner for several weeks now of an Anthem MRX500 with a set of Monitor Audio Silver RX6 speakers.
The sound quality, dynamics and presence is out-of-this-world :).
I'm wondering something though. Currently I have my 3D BluRay player connected via HDMI into the reciever and from there to my, also brand new and drooling each day, Panasonic P50VT60.
I read the MRX500 is 3D-Ready, at another place I read it is pass-through, I'm kind of confused here.
Pass-through would mean Full HD 3D content would be send to my plasma but 3D-Ready would indicate there would be a SBS coming out of the reciever, so back to 720p instead of 1080p with 3D.
What is it ??

By the way, it is awesome to have here the ability with my combination of hardware to display 24p, it makes a whole lot of difference. Another thing to mention is that the 3D quality, brightness and contrast is a far more pleasant experience than in a real movie theater.

Any insight is highly appreciated.

Regards, Luc

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Welcome to the forum Luc :)

Very nice system indeed, not surprised youre impressed.

"SBS", never heard of it. What does it mean?

"3-D ready" means it will handle 3D input. "Pass-through" means it will not do video manipulation of the 3D video signal. Your entire system is full 1080p.

LuDia

Auditioning
Real Name
Luc
Thx for welcoming me :)

SBS means Side-By-Side. TV broadcasters use it when they broadcast 3D pictures to keep the same bandwidth as they would with broadcasting full HD. Basically it will place the left eye and right eye picture next to each other in one frame where the TV streches it out again to full display and present the split picture one by one. The concequence of course is the resolution will only be half, 720p, and this is called 3D-Ready, just like a few years back you could buy HD-Ready tv's as they were 720p only.

So reading up on different places on the net, one says the MRX is 3D-Ready and the other says it is pass-through. Here comes my confusion...
I like to think it is full HD 3D pass-through because switching the tv towards 2D while playing 3D content it does not show me the side-by-side.
I like to have it cleared out you know ;-)

Regards, Luc

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks