What's new

AT&T to open 3G network to VOIP apps. (1 Viewer)

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Was it the FCC investigation or just the realization that it was going to happen eventually? In any event, AT&T is opening up its 3G network to allow VOIP applications.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=16437

I would like to think we will see a full featured, updated Skype app on the iPhone soon but with Apple's app store policies who knows?

-Keith

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
I predict the next thing AT&T will allow is SlingPlayer mobile to be used over 3G as well. Since congress is strongly pressing the net neutrality stuff. You can already do it over 3G via a Blackberry on AT&T (cause they can't control the installation of the distribution of the application with those devices)...so...they will probably have to relent and allow that data traffic for SlingPlayer mobile for the iPhone as well.

We shall see.

But the VoIP over 3G stuff will be cool and a welcomed addition. I am looking forward to the Google Voice app. I just got a number through their Beta test program for my studio last week.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I and anyone who makes international calls is popping the Champagne cork right now. Fantastic news!
Originally Posted by Sam Posten

I predict major disaster in the making....
Not sure why -- when you make phone calls over 3G they are the equivalent of VOIP -- Skype is no way going to (further) overload the network.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't use VOIP or Skype, so I don't really understand the benefit of this. My experience with VOIP is with people who want to drop the local landline service while keeping a phone in the house.

Is it the ability to shift phone calls from the metered voice plan to the unmetered data plan? And / or to shift calls from costly, metered int'l plans to location-agnostic unmetered data plans?

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
A Skype call to another Skype user is free. A Skype call to a land line in most countries is 2 cents per minute. Skype membership is free. Skype is hugely popular -- most of my friends and relatives are on it -- so it basically means I have free/ or super cheap international calling. Arthur C. Clarke's 2001 free international phone calls prediction come true -- about a decade late.

Quality (over Wifi) for international calls is superb -- WAY better than international calls via my landline, better then local cell calls. Skype from computer to computer lets you do video as well.

Does that answer your question?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks