What's new

Are Blu-ray's worth the extra Money? (1 Viewer)

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I see your point, i think technology peaked with VHS and since then the quality just got worse and worse, Laserdisc, pah i use them as frisbees, DVD, not for me, blu ray, no i just don't see any detail increase over my VHS versions, i won't be satisfied until the studio's start releasing on VHS again and that way i can really take advantage of my HD television and projector.
You are kidding I hope.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
This is something I have always wondered and would love some feed back. I personally don't see the point in spending the extra money to purchase a Blu-ray disc. With almost all TV's being HD now, I can't really tell the difference between standard dvd and a blu-ray disc. Even when I can, the difference is minuscule. How does everyone else feel about this?
I'm curious if you own a computer? Is it the awesome Commodore 64?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've always wondered what surfing the HTF would look like on a Commodore 64...

c64.png

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Jim Mcc said:
Oops!! I can't tell, since the smiley faces are not available anymore. What's up with that?
These smiley faces, :D i never use them, they give the game away too easily.

They are available when you click quote or more reply options, if you go into the advanced settings in your control panel there should also be an option to turn them on for normal straight forward replies.

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
My father has the exact same argument about he television. He does not see a difference between SD TV and HD TV. Whenever I state how much better HD material is, he tells me it is my opinion. It baffles me.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Jim Mcc said:
Oops!! I can't tell, since the smiley faces are not available anymore. What's up with that?
?!?

Anytime you click inside an edit box, you should see a smilie face in the edit options (just to the right of the various font/text controls). Click on it and a row of smiulies appears just below the editor. If you don't see one you like, click on the arrow at the right-hand side of the line of smilies.

LMK if this doesn't work for you.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Scott Burke said:
My father has the exact same argument about he television. He does not see a difference between SD TV and HD TV. Whenever I state how much better HD material is, he tells me it is my opinion. It baffles me.
Over the years I've come across numerous friends and acquaintances who say the same thing. Whether they actually believe what they are saying, is largely irrelevant and besides the point.

As far as I can tell, most of them largely don't give a damn about hd quality video.

In practice, there isn't much anybody can do to change the minds of individuals who simply do not give a damn.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
These smiley faces, :D i never use them, they give the game away too easily. They are available when you click quote or more reply options, if you go into the advanced settings in your control panel there should also be an option to turn them on for normal straight forward replies.
I can't get them to work. Oh well, from now on you guys won't know if I'm kidding or not.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
I'm not in the bluray camp, but i think there is a clear difference between DVD and blu. The "problem" (if you really call it a problem) is that as the person above said, a lot of people don't give a damn. Bluray's chief selling point is a better picture and the chance for more content. Your problem? A lot of people really can't be bothered whether the picture is better and a lot of people that don't give a damn about the added content.

So that brings us to where we are today, instead of the new content slowly wiping the latter into the antique market, you've got two dual successful markets. Where one side is filled with people not wooed to convert and the other is filled with people who have converted and baffled others have not.

There's really not much more arguing to do on the subject. If you weren't wooed to switch over to bluray with 2013 about 3/4 of the way done, i'm not sure how many still are. If anything i bet both DVD and Blu will lose more digital downloads then they will to each other as we move forward.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
MattPriceTime said:
I'm not in the bluray camp, but i think there is a clear difference between DVD and blu. The "problem" (if you really call it a problem) is that as the person above said, a lot of people don't give a damn. Bluray's chief selling point is a better picture and the chance for more content. Your problem? A lot of people really can't be bothered whether the picture is better and a lot of people that don't give a damn about the added content.
The only problem I have with that argument (and it is a small problem, to be sure) are the people who complain the BD's get exclusive extras while the DVD's don't. The same thing is happening with 3D discs; it also happened for years on DVD with single versus multiple disc releases.

If a collector or fan of a film or TV show wants to have all the material, they will most likely "need" to have the BD. I'm fine with people not giving a damn, but I'm not okay with those same people complaining they're getting the short end of the stick. The studios have simply decided to put a little something extra on the BD versus the DVD. Their prerogative, right?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And anyway.....all the complainers need-to-do to get the extra content is go out and buy a Blu player (which can be found damn cheap these days).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Jason_V said:
The only problem I have with that argument (and it is a small problem, to be sure) are the people who complain the BD's get exclusive extras while the DVD's don't. The same thing is happening with 3D discs; it also happened for years on DVD with single versus multiple disc releases.

If a collector or fan of a film or TV show wants to have all the material, they will most likely "need" to have the BD. I'm fine with people not giving a damn, but I'm not okay with those same people complaining they're getting the short end of the stick. The studios have simply decided to put a little something extra on the BD versus the DVD. Their prerogative, right?

The individuals I've come across who simply do not give a damn about hd quality video, were largely people who were not collectors nor hardcore fans.

In the past, they were typically the ones who maybe rented a movie once or twice a year. Some may have purchased a dvd once every few years. They were largely "casual" viewers for the most part.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
jcroy said:
The individuals I've come across who simply do not give a damn about hd quality video, were largely people who were not collectors nor hardcore fans.
Yes, but they're also the ones who will complain about having to pay extra and get the BD to get all the VAM for a release, too. They don't think it's fair, apparently.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Jason_V said:
Yes, but they're also the ones who will complain about having to pay extra and get the BD to get all the VAM for a release, too. They don't think it's fair, apparently.
Are these necessarily the same set of individuals?

In a few individual cases I'm acquainted with, I can say definitively it has absolutely nothing to do with bluray. In such cases, the individuals in question have cable service where they have plugged their DVR box straight to their large flatscreen tvs via the analog composite video jack. (ie. Not rgb component nor hdmi). (It was easy to see that the video quality was sd and not hd).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composite_video

Even explaining that a $10 or $20 hdmi cable connecting the DVR and the tv will greatly improve the video quality, they still didn't give a damn and didn't bother using the hdmi jack.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
In the case I'm talking about, yes. Educated, smart person saying this...I've known him for years. I'm sure there have been individuals around here as well who have the same perspective.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
To me, the difference is obvious, and definitely worth my extra money. My girlfriend is in the "other" camp. She says she RARELY sees any difference in quality. To me, even the VERY BEST quality DVD titles cannot really approach the VERY BEST or even VERY GOOD Bluray titles. To each his own.
I will continue to support BD over DVD and will only purchase DVD when a title is not, and likely never will be available on BD, e.g. Classic B&W TV shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks