What's new

Are BD releases too cheap...? Disney CEO Robert Iger thinks so! (1 Viewer)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Anyone that buys a DVD Std or BD at FULL RETAIL PRICE is cheating their pocketbook. It is just too easy to find DVDs at a discount.
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
I'm more bothered by this comment:

"We need to be more selective on what we choose to make and what we choose to distribute."

than the price issue. As far as I'm concerned, the catalog titles can't come fast enough, assuming they are done right.

-R

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I don't buy any disk, with rare exception, that costs over $20. We all know that every disk will eventually be that price or lower, and I've got a backlog of quality titles just waiting for my free time so why pay a premium just to get something on street date?

I actually did buy Wall-E on Sunday, for $27 at Costco, just to be able to show it off on my sisters new 52" LCD Panel. It pained me to do it, because it was overpriced AND didnt have the 3rd disk with the iTunes portable version. I can't see breaking my $20 limit again any time soon.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Iger's thinking is typical of the corporate CEO who fails to consider the budgetary limitations of the average consumer and expects everyone to make up for financial shortfalls with executive bonuses!:laugh:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

His comment could be interpreted more than one way. Considering how shoddy some of the catalog titles were treated on DVD I will take, as I have said before, quality over quantity from this studio. If I have to wait for a full-blown restoration of The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes (one of many MAR DVDs), I can wait. :D

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
Matthew, I can't argue with your statement. The quality has to be there. Otherwise, don't bother.

-R

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
If we don't get Herbie Fully Loaded on Blu soon, my little boy is going to kill somebody. (And by "my little boy" I mean my son!)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Hmmmm. Is he that dedicated to the improvement in video/audio over the current DVD...or is he just plain hot for Lindsey Lohan?!? :laugh:

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member

I hate to burst your bubble, as I'm also a fan of older Disney live-action films, but I think we're more likely to see them release SONG OF THE SOUTH before we see a restoration of a film like COMPUTER WORE TENNIS SHOES.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I dont think they have touched The Rocketeer in 10 years? Its one of the oldest DVDs they have, and not anamorphic. Love to get it on Blu! Put it out and i will BUY IT!

But not at $30, or more!

Shad R

Supporting Actor
I know this would never happen in a million years, but...what if Disney made an announcement that they were no longer in the DVD market, only producing blu-ray. Then they pull all the DVD's of everything they have available on blu already. The new releases like "Bedtime Stories" "High School Musicl 3" "Bolt" and all their upcomming cat titles like "Pinochio" were ONLY released on blu-ray. Than Disney pulls their movies from Pay Per View, video on damand, and pulls all their DVD's from netflix. Disney than threatens to do the same once they are partners with Dreamworks, making "Transformers 2" a blu-ray exclusive.
Blu-ray would have to succeed than, right?
I say this to be funny, but wouldn't that make ppl go blu, while saving Disney money at the same time?

frankie108

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frank P
From the article:
With DVD sales taking a nose dive and BD sales tripling in a troubled economy isn't it natural for the studios to raise prices on BD titles??? The sentiment in this thread is clearly against raising BD prices which many feel are already too high but it's hard to make that argument stick in light of BD sales figures.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Well, I'd like to see an actual distribution of sales vs prices when it comes to BD, not just a lump sum of sales. Out of that 750 million in sales, what percentage is made up of discs 30 dollars and over? If the majority of sales occur at 30 dollars and over then maybe he has a case to raise prices; although, I doubt it. My guess is that the majority of BD sales are being made at 25 dollars and under. And before anyone posts "where is your evidence", I'll stress that I'm guessing which is why I would like to see an actual breakdown of sales vs prices. I'd like to know if I'm at least in the ball park.

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
The problem is, any sales numbers the manufacturers make would be based on MSRP. They don't know how much stores are/aren't discounting the titles. Given that, I don't think that they would consider any sales (or a very small number) as being at "$25 and under".

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I never thought of that. Still a lot of titles have MSRPs below thirty dollars. Studios must have a way of determining if their pricing strategy is having an effect on sales. I know that I steer clear of any title over thirty dollars. It has to be something I want really badly in order to go over that price. There have been very few titles released that I'm willing to pay that kind of premium for.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Perhaps it would. But even then, I don't think making Blu-ray an exclusive success is in Disney's job title or mission statement. ;)

Cees

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Mike, I just love the, um, you know, the, uh, demolition derby scene! Yeah, that's it. The one with the Van Halen song. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks