What's new

Apple iPad buyers / Owners thread (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Actually, he's got a new essay that explains it. My kind of wild-eyed guessery :D

http://daringfireball.net/2011/02/the_next_six_months

• An iPad 2, fairly soon. Say, a March announcement, shipping in the first week of April. Faster, more RAM, maybe more storage, thinner and lighter, a front-facing camera.1 Running iOS 4.3.
  • iOS 5, announced at a developer event in March, shipping in June.
  • iPad 3, shipping in September, announced at the annual iPod event. Running iOS 5.1, same as the next-generation iPod Touch.

His overall argument is a more refined version of something I speculated on earlier: April is a bad time for the iPad release cycle because it conflicts with Christmas shopping. But where I suggested that the ipad and iPhone releases would be swapped, Gruber speculates the ipad gets moved to the Fall with the iPod refreshes. I'm with him on moving the iPad to the Fall. But I don't like it in that it bunches up two major release events. I'm convinced that Apple likes to spread out the events to focus media coverage. Forcing the media to decide whether to cover a major iPod refresh or an iPad refresh seems un-Apple like. So I think Apple, if they change the iPad refresh cycle, they'll swap it with the other product line it covers.

Unless Gruber is right on his other point: Apple will move to a biannual iPad cycle. I don't know. He says Apple wants to move the hardware as fast as possible. To date, in 10? years of Jobs, they've never done that. They've always had a relaxed refresh rate compared to everyone else. Even in fast moving areas, like phones, they keep the iPhone to annual instead of biannual. I have trouble seeing the iPad moving to a twice-yearly revision.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Definitely. And this is very crazy speculation, without any sources on it. I think he's wrong. Apple will not move to a biannual iPad release. They won't release a RetinaDisplay ipad 3 six months after the ipad2. It's completely contrary to their behavior.

But I wouldn't mind being wrong :)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Not to be nitpicky, but don't you mean semi-annual, not bi-annual? Was a little confusing -- and you kept saying bi-annual...

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
TechCrunch piles on, saying inside sources say there will be an iPad 3 this Fall. They are emphatic that they're not merely guessing, but have solid information on it.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/02/09/ipad-3/

I'm still quite dubious.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveF

Definitely. And this is very crazy speculation, without any sources on it. I think he's wrong. Apple will not move to a biannual iPad release. They won't release a RetinaDisplay ipad 3 six months after the ipad2. It's completely contrary to their behavior.

But I wouldn't mind being wrong :)

I gotta agree with you, and not because of the 6 month thing, but because even with the $4B investment I don't think that 10" retina displays will be feasible in the fall of 2011 -- still too early. I'm guessing not before 2012.

Meanwhile, in the other direction, we are getting iPhone Nano rumors. With all the smoke, it would appear that Apple is at least thinking about broadening their iP* product selection.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Saw the iPhone nano rumors. That seems silly. Who wants a *smaller* iPhone? If anything, Apple needs to work on a 4.5" iPhone (and a 1200 x 800 Retina Display for it).

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'll still take a 7" Ipad if Apple wants to make one. I recently picked up a Nook Color and Jailbreaked it, its a pefect size for carrying around, the Ipad is just a tad too large. So if Apple ever wants to make ome I'm there, the next refresh camera and facetime abilty I would not use so I guess I'm waiting to Ipad 3 before I trade off my 1st gen 3G

EricW

Senior HTF Member
and since Jobs stepped down (he has right?) he doesn't have to admit his mistake regarding 7" tablets :P

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
http://iphone.appleinsider.com/articles/11/02/19/ipad_3_with_retina_display_new_device_sized_between_ipad_and_ipod_in_apples_pipeline.html More rumors about a September iPad 3 with double-res screen. And some interesting rumors and speculation and larger iPod touches or smaller iPads. 

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Let me just say if there are 2 iPad launches this year, I'll buy one of each.

But, this could make iPad2 a lot more interesting!

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/20/could-the-ipad-2-be-getting-light-peak/

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Light Peak is a USB replacement. :)

iPad rumors are out of hand. I've seen rumors for: 2", 3", 4", 5", 6", 7", and 10" devices.

There will be one or two iPads released this year. Apple will maintain or change its annual schedule, keeping the iPad schedule in the Spring or moving it to the Fall. There will be normal and / or double-pixel resolutions. It has a mystery port which is an SD slot, a USB slot, nothing, or a Light Peak port.

Sam, you're not buying one, or even two, iPads this year. You're buying about 49 different iPads ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks