What's new

AOTC & LOTR:EE/SE store price reports (threads merged) (1 Viewer)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Here's my story:

I'm so frickin tired of FULL SCREEN.

I stopped at K-Mart on my way home to price match AoTC. (All the other stores are much closer to home and I had a hassle-free PM there back with Harry Potter). Anyway, all they wad was mother frickin FOOL SCREEN.

So off I went to the bunch of stores near my house. Wal-Mart first. They had WS and they did the price match, no real problems. The guy looked at the ad a couple of times, (guess he hadn't seen it yet and couldn't believe it). Then he went to cut the ad out to keep, without asking me, using a frickin box cutter, and proceeded to rip the thing to shreds. If he loses his job at Wal-Mart he has good potential in the terrorist hijacker industry. Anyway I knew I was set then. If he did call a manager and they made any fuss I would have raised holy hell being their employee totally trashed my competing flyer.

Anyway, if all copies were WS, I'd of had it on my first stop. Makes me want to get every copy of P&S I can get my hands on, in every store I go, and grind my heels into the pieces of shit.

Page

Stunt Coordinator
Westminster, CA:

Went to Best Buy to get AOTC with my TRU ad since TRU was sold out. I was also buying LOTR:EE with ONE $2 off $19.99 Netflix coupon. The checkout lines were slowing down because people were trying to price match using newspaper ads, and the Best Buy manager was checking everything and on a cell phone talking (to I don't know who).

A clerk opened another line and I quickly jumped to the front. Threw out my TRU ad, Zone Card, and Netflix coupon and told him I wanted to price match...and then leaned back and let him figure it out.

Total price--AOTC--$7.99 (It rang up at $9.99 regular price and he took $2 off)
Total price--LOTR--$22.99 (It rang up at $24.99 regular price and he took $2 off)

TOTAL FOR BOTH: $30.98(And a mess of Zone Reward Points!)

I decided to push my luck and ask for the free calendar, but he didn't have any at his check-out station. Then he very politely said he couldn't give me one on a price match anyway.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Milpitas CA:
On my lunch break ran over to Wal-Mart to check prices. $14.98, didn't see FOTR so I walked over to Best Buy in the same shopping center. Picked up FOTR 4-disc and AOTC. I asked the cashier if they would match TRU, she said go to customer service. I stood in line at CS for about 15 min and asked for a price match to TRU, no ad but she matched it anyway. Let's just say I wasn't the first person to match TRU. There were also about 20 people behind me with AOTC in hand and I'm sure they were pricematching as well.

I got the calendar also for free. So I got both and the calendar for $34.98 + tax. I didn't have the coupon for $2 off but I'm not complaining.

GregBoehme

Agent
Long version in roundup thread, but be careful, LOTR gift sets at my BB did not come with the Movie Cash.. check for the sticker that says so.

Greg

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
I walked into my TRU at 6 p.m. tonight (after putting $5 down over the weekend) and got my WS version with no problem whatsoever.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Here's my followup to an earlier post regarding my wife's experience--given how she was told that she could only get the additional 10% match if she first bought AOTC at the $15.99 price, I went over to BB during lunch to see if they'd pull the same thing. Grabbed my AOTC, walked straight to the return desk, showed the clerk the TRU ad, and asked him to price match 110%. Guess what? The clerk more than obliged--so, I was able to buy AOTC at BB for $9.39, and got the free calendar to boot! The weird thing was that my buddy was asking the other clerk to perform the price match, but apparently didn't tell her to do the 110% guarantee so he only got the $6 off instead of $6.60.
All in all, I guess what it comes down to is that YMMV as to whether or not you have to jump through hoops to get BB to do the 110% guarantee.
P.S.: After all these purchases between my wife and myself, we now have 3 copies of AOTC and 2 calendars. I guess we can give two of them as pretty inexpensive Christmas gifts.:D

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I walked into my TRU at 6 p.m. tonight (after putting $5 down over the weekend) and got my WS version with no problem whatsoever.
Ditto x 2 in Richmond, VA (multiple WS and FS still out on the big display); the clerk also tossed in, unasked, and even questioned by yours truly (what was I thinking?!), the silver anniversary R2D2 that TRU is giving away with any $20 Hasbro Star Wars toy purchase. I love Toys R Us! We spent $200+ on b-day and x-mas presents for little guy over the weekend and plan to reward Geoffrey with more of our (look out for spoiler, make the little ones turn away now!) Santa purchases this year....

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
not a happy camper with my bb purchase.
1. they would not price match tru since tru was out of the widescreen format. they state they only match if the competitor has it in stock. (i did go to tru and verify - they were out of the widescreen one)
2. they ran out of calendars so i didn't even get one of those.
i swear...what a bunch of a**holes. i'm going to go to a different bb and try the lpg tactic.
but, i figure with all the driving i've done i've already wasted the 5 dollar savings in gas! :)

Lane F.

Stunt Coordinator
I heard that the free movie pass included with LOTR isn't vaild at AMC Theaters. Can someone let me know what theaters the ticket is valid at? Pretty dissapointing as the closet theater is AMC...

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Patrick
When you posted this:
TR:EE was $24.88 (which I went ahead and bought because I found out about an easter egg on it with Jack Black and Sarah Michelle Gellar's MTV awards LOTR skit.)
I decided I would have to buy this DVD as well... :)
...and I just bought the regular LOTR release from Blockbuster (PV) for $9.99 because I wasn't really interested in the EE release this week. And I think I tossed my Blockbuster receipt so I can't return/switch it out now either....ahhh, the joys of this damn hobby :)

Luis C

Stunt Coordinator
I heard that the free movie pass included with LOTR isn't vaild at AMC Theaters. Can someone let me know what theaters the ticket is valid at? Pretty dissapointing as the closet theater is AMC...
The LOTR:TT voucher in the DVD sets is a MovieCash certificate. Since AMC, as a corporation, chose not to participate in the MovieCash program, the certificate is NOT good at any AMC theater in North America. This is verified because the certificate included with the DVDs lists the theater corporations that are participating partners and AMC is missing.

Sorry...

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
Got AOTC for $8.99 at Walmart just by showing the TRU ad; I didn't even know or expect the extra 10%. I was more worried that they wouldn't let me get 2 since TRU had a 1 limit. The LOTR weren't out and went back after work (a new nite worker put them on display in some unexpected far corner of the store). Got the deluxe for $45.

Rodon

Second Unit
I went back for more tonight armed with my TRU add and Netflix coupon.

Went to new Bloomington Walmart.

Picked up another AOTC for 9.88 and then had them honor my Best Buy Netflix coupon for LOTR 4-disc and got it for $22.88 - no calendar but not a bad deal at all - $35.23 with tax. No I get a free ($7.00 value for me) movie coupon for the new LOTR movie on 12/18 and get to cash in my $5 back-by-mail since I own both versions of the LOTR FOTR.

It was a good day.

Binh Vu

Stunt Coordinator
Just picked up 4 copies of Clones (2 ws and 2 fs) at BB. 3 guys at work wanted a copy with this deal. Just hand the cashier the computer printed out tru add and she called the manager to sign for it. Not a single problem even I know only 1/person at tru.
But I have trouble finding foolscreen version there, less than 20 fs and the rest are hundreds of ws.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I was at Toys R Us to pick up my 4 reserved copies and went to Walmart to buy a rake for the leaves piling up in my driveway. Anyway, I heard two different people (one from each store) asking for widescreen while I was in line. Each store had about an equal amount of each format (Toys R Us was sold out, but I could see the reserved copies and they were about split, 50 FS/50 WS).

Matt McHugh

Auditioning
I went to TRU and picked up AOTC $9.99. Went over to Media Play and got M.A.S.H. S2 $19.99, rang up right out of the register. Unfortunately, they were out of South Park S1, so I went over to BB to check their price out. :eek: OUCH!!! $29.99, so I go to walk out of the store and one of the clerks says "Didn't find anything good." So I told him I was going to head to another competitor's store to get a pricematch for the MP $9.99 on SP S1, since BB won't match MP. The clerk informed me that they should, since they owned it, I said that's why I've been told they won't. I showed him the MP ad and explain the instant $10 rebate off the sale price. He called over a merchandise manager who checked out the ad and said they'd pricematch it. So I go to CS counter and what do you know, others have been getting pricematches against MP, but no one took full advantage. They were all getting it for $19.99. Me $9.99 and one for my brother too. No serious problems and an excellent deal!!! :laugh: :wink: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: Got LOTR: CE while I was there too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks