What's new

Anyone been scammed by a single Russian Woman? (1 Viewer)

Blu

Screenwriter
The long story short is this. We have been corresponding since April, she contacted me first on Yahoo personals. She never once mentioned money when our conversation turned to her visiting me, in fact she was animate she pay her own way. She is a doctor, has a passport and has received her visa to visit me later this month.

I'll send her whole email to someone who asks for it but to sum it up she came up 234 dollars short from buying her airline ticket. I did send the money via Western Union and she received it and wrote me back about how excited she was going to be to see me in person.

Would a scammer actually write back after the scam had been finished?
Would a scammer make up such a odd amount of 234 dollars when they could have asked for much more?

Even though I've done research on Russian Women scams this onw doesn't fit any of the profiles or the letters I've seen.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Have you posted here about her before? For some reason the story sounds familiar but I can't place it.
Anyway, once she's picked up the western union wire the money is her's and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it, so on one hand why would she bother to write? on the other, has she set a date yet? provided flight numbers?
I guess the only way you'll find out is when you go to the airport and see if she's there or not.

Did it HAVE to be a western union wire? or could a money order have been mailed? Was there a good reason if it HAD to be WU?

hopefully she's legit and it works out for you :)

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
This scam comes in multiple fronts a couple of which are the single woman looking for love and the executor of a deceased millionare's estate looking for someone in the States to help landuer a lot of money. It starts with innocent chat and progresses to a request to wire money. The first request will be money for a plane ticket for a couple of hundred dollars followed by another request a bit more expensive for something like a passport then it will be bribe money then another plane ticket etc, etc, etc. Whatever you do don't send any more money.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
To keep the person on the hook for more money, or to put some "distance" between the Western Union exchange and the subsequent "disappearance."

I wish you the best of luck. But, don't send any more money. I wonder what she'd say if you mentioned going to see her, instead?

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
Blu,

You may be one of the very lucky few to find a relationship through the web.

But most likely you were/are scammed.:frowning:

Let us know which.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Maybe it's not a very well organised scam, but so many Russian girls scam American dudes for cash or just a way to get over here quick and easy. Even if she does come, she'll dump your ass real quick after she gets what she wants.

DanaA

Screenwriter
I hope it works out for you, but, like the others, I think you are being scammed. Still, I'd wait to make judgement until it plays out. If she asks for more money, it will be pretty evident what she's up to.

Good luck and please keep us updated. This is pretty interesting.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
While I hope this works out for you, it does sound like a con, but on the bright side, if all you get taken for is $234, consider yourself lucky. You could find yourself an American girl who would take you to the cleaners a lot better than that!

Seth_L

Screenwriter
I think it's a scam.

In general the US doesn't grant visitor visas (B-2) to people from the former Soviet Union, especially women (because the US is afraid they will not go back). Generally, the only way they can get into the country legally is under a fiancee visa and those take a long time to get. So, unless there's a lot you're not telling us (that your engaged and have been at this for monthings) it is very unlikely she would have a valid visa for entry into the US.

Did she tell you why type of visa it is?

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Or worse, she'll show up with her boyfriend "Sergie" the 6'4" Russian mob-goon and they'll take a severe intrest in your savings account/house :eek:

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
Never, ever send any money to anyone that you barely know and have met through the internet. Even old friends from the past may "pop up" looking for money, but don't cater to them. Just be thankful it was only a few hundred, and move on.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Wait, she's a doctor, and she was short. I'm pretty sure that even in Russia, doctors make enough money to buy a plane ticket, with plenty left over. Chances are you were scammed.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I hate to put in another vote for scam, but that's what this sounds like to me. I don't think that the fact that she wrote you back proves anything, it might simply be her thinking she's got a sucker on the line and trying to get more money out of you. Please, keep us updated, and I hope that all our fears are wrong but I wouldn't bet on it.

Oh, and got to agree with a previous post, sending money to people you know from over the internet...risky idea. A friend of mine just got taken for some money this way, and since I had given him some money to make a purchase for me...some of the money he lost belonged to me. So now I'm not happy with him, and he owes me money.

So don't send anymore money and please do be careful.

This has nothing to do with Russian women, but I love to plug This whenever I can, great site!

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
wow, i didn't even know there was an "industry" in this kind of stuff. interesting....

Blu

Screenwriter
Well she wrote again today, Four days after sending money via Western Union.
She gave me her travel information and when she will arrive.
She said she would write after her train trip to Moscow from a internet cafe.
She said everything was in order but once in Moscow she just had to get final approval from the anti-immigration something or other.

Believe me, I've been very on the fence about it being a scam or not. It has been very difficult to concentrate on much, not even because of the money but because it "feels" like it is real and if it is a scam to be carried well beyond the point of money it ventures into cruelty.
I don't think it is a scam, especially after this last letter with lots of details.

I appreciate all of your comments! Pro and con, all have been very well appreciated and maybe if someone in a similar situation reads this thread then it could help them as well!

Johnny_M

Second Unit
good luck blu! let us know what happens, these things are better than watching soap operas!

Johnny

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks